Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #11  
Actually, Generac does and they recommend running the initial factory fill for (I believe) 20 hours. Cannot remember and mine is pretty old as well, mine is a 19KW for the house standby and ever since I've been using Rotella T5 in it plus a filter change and air cleaner renew every spring. Interestingly, my steel cabinet is about rusted out and Generac sold me an aluminum enclosure of the same square design as my old cabinet is. Wasn't cheap but cheaper than buying a new complete unit. I also have a JD diesel powered 30 KW standby to run the shop and all my 3 phase equipment.
Went and looked at a couple service manuals. And it says that the generator is run and tested at the factory, and no breakin required. And to change the oil after the first 25 hours for breakin. That doesn't mean they used breakin oil at the factory or recommend the use of breakin oil in their engines.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #12  
Been a long time (at least 15 years since I got mine so I'm sure you are correct), without getting my owners manuals out, which I have btw. Like I said, my current issue is the enclosure is rusting way but I have a full aluminum enclosure that the unit will go in once the weather warms up. it wasn't a cheap date but I have it none the less and that tells me, they are making upgraded enclosures for the older (steel cabbed) units.

It was 4500 bucks delivered by commercial carrier but a heck of a lot cheaper than a new comparable unit.

My diesel powered (JD) unit is also in a steel cabinet but I've had no corrosion issues with that one at all, interestingly.

Never had issue one with my Generac standby except I had to replace the starter which wasn't a big deal and I read they had starter issues, I did. Both the diesel unit and the propane fired units have really been 100% without issues the whole time I've owned them other than routine maintenance which is required anyway. My 3 phase unit is plumbed directly into my 500 gallon diesel bulk tank btw. Very good units and I recommend Generac, besides they are easy to deal with.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #13  
I have enough electrical knowledge that I installed both myself other than the propane fired unit which I had my local propane supply plumb for me.

I believe the 'trick' to longevity is timely maintenance. . Like I said, I run Rotella T4 in both of them, always have.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #14  
Actually, Generac does and they recommend running the initial factory fill for (I believe) 20 hours. Cannot remember and mine is pretty old as well, mine is a 19KW for the house standby and ever since I've been using Rotella T5 in it plus a filter change and air cleaner renew every spring. Interestingly, my steel cabinet is about rusted out and Generac sold me an aluminum enclosure of the same square design as my old cabinet is. Wasn't cheap but cheaper than buying a new complete unit. I also have a JD diesel powered 30 KW standby to run the shop and all my 3 phase equipment.
Ive taken generac service classes. They DO NOT use a break in oil In their air cooled standby units. Only non synthetic 5W30 oil in their standbys. They specifically tell us to “DO NOT USE OILS WITH BREAK IN ADDITIVES”. The only thing they do use in original oil is a UV dye. This is used to check for leaks during testing.

i have no idea what they use in the liquid cooled units as i dont service those.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #15  
Ive taken generac service classes. They DO NOT use a break in oil In their air cooled standby units. Only non synthetic 5W30 oil in their standbys. They specifically tell us to “DO NOT USE OILS WITH BREAK IN ADDITIVES”. The only thing they do use in original oil is a UV dye. This is used to check for leaks during testing.

i have no idea what they use in the liquid cooled units as i dont service those.
I just service and warranty the portable products and for the most part don't service the standby units, other than when my regular mower repair customers ask me to do the service.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #16  
What the heck is 'break in oil' anyway. Never heard of it.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator
Went and looked at a couple service manuals. And it says that the generator is run and tested at the factory, and no breakin required. And to change the oil after the first 25 hours for breakin. That doesn't mean they used breakin oil at the factory or recommend the use of breakin oil in their engines.
I'm the OP and my engine was built in 1999. Did they build engines differently then with different break in comments?

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #18  
What the heck is 'break in oil' anyway. Never heard of it.
Breakin oil is an oil that doesn't have friction modifiers to assist in the seating of rings to the cylinder for better compression. Normally used more with race engines at this point, but use to be more common years ago.

Last edited:
   / Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #19  
I'm the OP and my engine was built in 1999. Did they build engines differently then with different break in comments?
Wording over the years has changed. Current small engines recommend the first oil change after 5 hours on engines without oil filter. And 100 hours on engines with oil filter. Some other engine OEM's will have a recommendation of 20 or 25 or 50 hours for first oil change.

Throw synthetic oils into the mix and recommendation charts have changed drastically and can vary by oil used. for instant Briggs will say to use 5W30 in temps below 40 degrees but their own branded 5W30 can be used for temps upto 100 degrees.

There is also confusion when people talk about using breakin oil. Special cases require the use of the actual breakin oil. but what most people refer to breakin oil is actually the first normal oil added to a new engine or rebuild engine that is run from 2-5 hours and then changed.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #20  

My diesel standby has a John Deere engine anyway. I believe Generac uses not only JD engines but Cummins and Ford (gas) engines in their larger standby units.