Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator
No reason to not run synthetic oil in such a low hour machine. Most equipment built after 1980 (seals etc) are compatible with synthetic lubricants. My 1998 Honda 5000 Generator ran exclusively on Amsoil synthetic 10W40 since new and never used oil between changes. I'm doing the same with my newer 2022 Honda 6500... ;>)
What about the rings seating correctly? My engine has hardly run at all.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #32  
Generac still says no synthetic until 20-25 run hours.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #33  
Rings are usually seated pretty quickly, especially if the engine is loaded for some of those hours. Also don’t forget that there’s lotsa wear/tear occurring upon startup before the oil pressure has reached throughout the engine.
Most engines today come with synthetic oil right from the dealership.
Also, any labeled “breakin oil” is synthetic now a days… Amsoil (2040 phos, 2265 zinc ppm), Royal Purple etc.
It’s not a negative to use synthetic oil during the breakin process….it’s usually just a cost consideration as dumping it early, usually because of excessive wear metals and fuel dilution, can be considered a waste of a premium lube. However, it’s a good idea to dump the first few oil changes early, especially if the Engine oil is not filtered.

Last edited:
   / Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #34  
Rings are usually seated pretty quickly, especially if the engine is loaded for some of those hours. Also don’t forget that there’s lotsa wear/tear occurring upon startup before the oil pressure has reached throughout the engine.
Most engines today come with synthetic oil right from the dealership.
Also, any labeled “breakin oil” is synthetic now a days… Amsoil (2040 phos, 2265 zinc ppm), Royal Purple etc.
It’s not a negative to use synthetic oil during the breakin process….it’s usually just a cost consideration as dumping it early, usually because of excessive wear metals and fuel dilution, can be considered a waste of a premium lube. However, it’s a good idea to dump the first few oil changes early, especially if the Engine oil is not filtered.
i know for a fact generacs original oil that ships is NOT synthetic. my Toyota Tundra came with full synthetic. it depends on the motor.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #35  
You’re missing my point that mineral oil isn’t always a requirement during breakin….. but my second point is there’s enough hours on his generator that he can use a premium oil now if he wants to. No need for quick oil changes anymore. Now it’s time to preserve and maintain…😉

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #36  
I'm the OP and my engine was built in 1999. Did they build engines differently then with different break in comments?
NO......

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #37  
What about the rings seating correctly? My engine has hardly run at all.
If you purchased the unit in 1999 and the rings are not seated now, they never will be.

Is the engine blowing smoke and the oil level decreasing each time the engine is run? I don't understand the concern about the rings seating. Most air cooled engines get hot enough to seat the rings within ten minutes of starting the first time. It is not something that happens each time the engine is started.

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #38  
Well if he’s barely got any hours on his generator in the past 25 years, and it’s working fine yet, it’ll probably outlast him. But that’s all the more reason to take good care of it. Most stuff we buy now wouldn’t last the decade…

Last edited:
   / Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator #39  
Well if he’s barely got any hours on his generator in the past 25 years, and it’s working fine yet, it’ll probably outlast him. But that’s all the more reason to take good care of it. Most stuff we buy now wouldn’t last the decade…
Consider this also. Since he is requesting information on what type and kind of oil to use, has he ever changed the oil in those 25 years?

/ Need help picking correct oil for my 25 year old 19hp twin Generac generator
That's my plan. Stuff today is barely recognizable to the quality of days of yore.