Need Help; Setting Granite Step

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #12  
I had a couple in this size range of field stones when I did my front walkway. I wrapped a logging chain around the stone, hooked it to the trailer hitch and dragged it next to where I wanted it laid.

Once the hole was ready, I took a couple of 4x4s and put them next to the rock on both sides. Then used a 6 foot pry bar to inch it into place. (lift, wiggle, drop, repeat on other side, then back) (Didn't have a back hoe, 3 pt, or FEL at the time.)

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step
The blocks of ice idea is too good not to try

I agree.

I am going to do the blocks of ice along with the pinch bar. I am going to set the flat back, oval front 7" step on the ice Sunday morning 'bout 7am. I figure by mid afternoon she'll be all set and in place with nothing but a minor puddle of water hanging around.

The cobblestone patio has been hard work but turned out great. I have one more "layer" of polymeric sand to sweep into the cracks and gaps and then getting the step into place at which point I will be done.:thumbsup: Boy, a little carpentry project and stacking more wood will be a pleasure after this brick stuff.

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #14  
The blocks of ice idea is great, too good not to try as someone said. But myself, I would have set the block down then just pulled the straps out... :D

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #15  
I agree.

I am going to do the blocks of ice along with the pinch bar. I am going to set the flat back, oval front 7" step on the ice Sunday morning 'bout 7am. I figure by mid afternoon she'll be all set and in place with nothing but a minor puddle of water hanging around.

The cobblestone patio has been hard work but turned out great. I have one more "layer" of polymeric sand to sweep into the cracks and gaps and then getting the step into place at which point I will be done.:thumbsup: Boy, a little carpentry project and stacking more wood will be a pleasure after this brick stuff.

We build alot of patios in my business and generally use a plate compactor and mason's sand both as a bed and in the cracks after setting. No problems or issues with the sand, curious why you need to use the polymeric sand and what benefits you feel you are getting for the increased cost?
In my locale we have several different colors available and can usually get something to match for around $25/ton.

We build alot of patios in my business and generally use a plate compactor and mason's sand both as a bed and in the cracks after setting. No problems or issues with the sand, curious why you need to use the polymeric sand and what benefits you feel you are getting for the increased cost?
In my locale we have several different colors available and can usually get something to match for around $25/ton.

I dug out space to add about 6" of inch and half gravel on top of what was already there, hard pan gravel. I compacted the gravel with a #500 rented compactor. Then, I screeded more of the gravel to get the pitch correct, 1" for every 4'. Compacted again to a near final grade surface. Then, I screeded a bed of sand to a final grade on which the pavers would lay. I laid the pavers and rented a #160 compactor to "set" the pavers down into the sand. At this point the pavers became very secure. No teddering or movement. Then, I swept the polymeric sand into the joints and gaps between the pavers, watered and allowed the poly sand to set and bond. In a half hour it was a rock solid finish. Really nice.

Tonight I am going to sweep another round of the poly sand over the pavers to make the "gaps" even less deep. Water and be done with it all.

This is my first experience laying pavers and I used all the advice that the stone center offered, people that have an excellent reputation in this area.

Jenks...Are you saying you use just a pebble sort of sand...no bonding agent.?? Over time I would think that you would loose the sand.?? Not to mention tracking it. Don't get me wrong, I think I could have gone with just sand but, I think I gain a better end product using the bonding sand.

I have no idea what he charged me for the sand.?? I can say I paid about $1100 for the paver patio which is roughly 18'x24'. I am thrilled with the finished product. Love the edgeing blocks.

I am going to post a thread in the Projects forum after I get my granite step in place.

The blocks of ice idea is great, too good not to try as someone said. But myself, I would have set the block down then just pulled the straps out... :D

No, you wouldn't have done that.:D

It would become a try, try again scenario.:confused2:

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #18  
I like the ice method. Just get a torch and melt the ice once the step is in place. You don't leave it to melt and come back and see the ice melted uneven and the step slid out of place:D.

I recycled old granite steps from another farm we have, 5'x10"x8"...heavy:laughing:. Unfortunitly mine were uneven on the bottom so I had to pour a footing and set the fist step on a bed of mortar, let it setup, fill in behind it then set the next step. Moved them in place with the forks on the tractor and use a crowbar to position. This was before the sidewalk was put in so I had to allow for the thickness of the sidewalk. I don't have a good picture of the finished work but you can see part of the steps in the picture.

Attachments

• 100_0261.jpg
    100_0261.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_0818.jpg
    100_0818.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 180
I like the ice method. Just get a torch and melt the ice once the step is in place. You don't leave it to melt and come back and see the ice melted uneven and the step slid out of place:D.

I recycled old granite steps from another farm we have, 5'x10"x8"...heavy:laughing:. Unfortunitly mine were uneven on the bottom so I had to pour a footing and set the fist step on a bed of mortar, let it setup, fill in behind it then set the next step. Moved them in place with the forks on the tractor and use a crowbar to position. This was before the sidewalk was put in so I had to allow for the thickness of the sidewalk. I don't have a good picture of the finished work but you can see part of the steps in the picture.

Of course I am not going to leave it unattended. I will be home watching the ice melt throughout the morning. When things need an adjustment I will be handy and ready with a pry bar to square things up.

I want to see how even the ice blocks melt.:D I am willing to bet there won't be much prying. We'll see and I will report back.:D

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #20  
Sounds like you need a chair, beverage, and cooler full of ice-shims just in case. :D