Need Help; Setting Granite Step

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #21  
We build alot of patios in my business and generally use a plate compactor and mason's sand both as a bed and in the cracks after setting. No problems or issues with the sand, curious why you need to use the polymeric sand and what benefits you feel you are getting for the increased cost?
In my locale we have several different colors available and can usually get something to match for around $25/ton.

I'm curious if at least part of the recommendation has to do with the climate? I'm guessing New Mexico doesn't have as much of a problem with ice, so keeping water out from between the pavers isn't as important. Same with the extra bond strength resisting frost movement to some extent. Maybe I'm way off? :confused:

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #22  
Around here, folks often use stone dust since weeds don't seem to grow in it at all, and that can be a problem with mason's sand, etc. Of course around here is like jungle compared to the Southwest.

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #23  
You guys might be right about the difference the climate makes it has been so dry here that the ground is similar to flour. I was looking at a flagstone job today where the stones are getting loose because the ground is shrinking around the stones.

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step
The granite step is on ice as of RIGHT NOW.:thumbsup:

Getting some melting and any adjustments with the pry bar have been a piece of cake.:thumbsup:

SaraErikGraniteIce049.jpg

SaraErikGraniteIce047.jpg

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #26  
That is very cool!:) I thought the poster was joking at first!

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #27  
I'm still digesting the ice idea, But obviously it works. I just wouldn't have the patience to wait for it to melt to finish the job.

But it reminds me of a trick the old time plumbers would do. If they had to sweat a joint and couldn't get the water to stop dripping through it, they would pack bread in the pipe to stop the water long enough to solder the fitting. After a little while the bread would dissolve and allow the water to free flow.
Now they have these nifty little expanding plugs they can slide right in thru the fitting to stop the water.

Nice looking patio and step BTW :)

JB

Well, it took roughly 5 and a half hours for the ice to melt....too long. But, it was nearly effortless to shimmy the step into place throughout the day.

If I had to do it all again I think I would use some small blocking with a couple of pinch bars.

Boy, am I glad that project is behind me. Next.....:thumbsup:

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #29  
I'm still digesting the ice idea, But obviously it works. I just wouldn't have the patience to wait for it to melt to finish the job.

But it reminds me of a trick the old time plumbers would do. If they had to sweat a joint and couldn't get the water to stop dripping through it, they would pack bread in the pipe to stop the water long enough to solder the fitting. After a little while the bread would dissolve and allow the water to free flow.
Now they have these nifty little expanding plugs they can slide right in thru the fitting to stop the water.

Nice looking patio and step BTW :)

JB

A friend of mine in Las Vegas invented the Jet Sweat tools you speak of, they work pretty well but sometimes you still have to use bread. Usually the bread will blow out within a few moments when you turn the water back on. The Jet Sweats can hold back normal city water pressure though.:thumbsup:

/ Need Help; Setting Granite Step #30  
Well, it took roughly 5 and a half hours for the ice to melt....too long. But, it was nearly effortless to shimmy the step into place throughout the day.

If I had to do it all again I think I would use some small blocking with a couple of pinch bars.

Boy, am I glad that project is behind me. Next.....:thumbsup:

Good job, at least it is done and no marks. Hope the wind doesn't blow it away.

If I were to use ice it would be more along the size of ice cubes not blocks.