Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #21  
Re: Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCom

Turbosonic,

I will throw in another couple of pennies. I don't think you will find to many people here that is sorry for going too big. But you will find people that are sorry for going to small. If you have the money in your budget go with the smaller compacts. The John Deere 4010, the New Holland TC18 will not be too big and will do a wonderfull job of mowing. I don't know the equilvant Kubota series that compare with the tractors I mentioned above but will do a great job along with the ones I mentioned above. There is others out there also.

I have two acres, I started out with a TC21D but with my hills I was very concerned with stability especially with my FEL. I almost tipped mine over and decided to trade back in for the TC29D that gave me a larger tractor. It was not because of HP but stability only. Most people will laugh at me beccause I have a 29 HP tractor for only 2 acres. I don't care, anyone here can laugh at me righ along with my neighbors. But I am not sorry one bit for getting the bigger tractor.

Again, just a couple of more pennies.

murph

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact

Murph,

Great! I guess this is exactly what I wanted to hear!
I think the Kubota equivalent is the B7400 or B7500. I Just got my brochure today for the B series and it looks very good.
Just a quick question for the JD 4010 owners out there: How do you find the location of all the different levers working out on the side of the seat ? Are they actually on the fenders or squeezed between the seat and the fenders?

Sylvain

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #23  

murph,

When they laugh at you for your tractor, tell them you know this guy on TBN that has a 30 hp Kubota (B2910) on 2/3 acre.

But like you, I don't mind them. It does what I want it to, goes where I need it to, and has done everything I have asked of it without breaking a sweat.

I wouldn't want to go any bigger, but I've been able to manage it quite nicely on our property.

~Rick

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #24  

Yeah, they laugh until they need help. One of my neighbors came over last summer and wanted to know if I had a wheelborrow he could borrow. I pointed to my FEL on the tractor and said that is my wheelborrow. He said what?? I then asked him what he needed the wheelborrow for. He told me and I went and moved about 10 buckets of dirt in about 20 minutes. It would have taken him all day by a wheelborrow. He was pretty impressed.

murph

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #25  

<font color="blue"> After reading your comments, I'm thinking about going for a small compact. This was my initial choice when I first started looking into this and saw that for a few more 1000$ you can get a compact instead of a sub compact. </font>

Hi,

I have just under 4 acres...and this time last year had not even thought of getting a tractor. Then somehow I got bit by the tractor bug and worked my way up to a Kubota B2410 after starting at the BX22.

I had looked at the B2910 and thought that was too much tractor for me...did not even price it. Then on the day I was going to commit, I asked how much more for the B2910...was told about $2,000 and I said, OK for 2K more I'll take the B2910.

And I don't regret it! Perhaps a smaller tractor might be a little better mower...but I am really happy I went bigger rather than smaller. I feel I did it right the first time and probably saved a little doing so...by not losing money doing it a second time.

Good luck in you decision. My "gut feeling" from what you posted is that something the size of the B7500 Kubota might work real well for you...but only you can decide in the end!

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #26  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When they laugh at you for your tractor, tell them you know this guy on TBN that has a 30 hp Kubota (B2910) on 2/3 acre. )</font>

2 acres and 40hp NH TC40D for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course, I have other chores elsewhere. Another TBNer has a 65hp Kioti DK65 (6000lbs BEFORE loader) on 2 acres (I think his name is RedDog.)

As for size, I have more issues with height rather than width - lot of lower hanging trees. I bought a hand pruning saw and am going to rig up a scabbard to carry it in to trim up branches while in the seat.

Mark

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #27  

Turbosonic,
You seem to alraedy have made up your mind on which will be good for you. As far as opions on which is better a compact or sub it is hard to tell. I have a BX2200. First and only tractor. Would bigger be better? I don't really know. But after assessing my needs and visiting many dealers I felt the subcompact is right for me.
A TBNer named TresCrows has both a sub and a compact. His opinion I found helpful since he is able to draw side by side comparisons. In fact his posts were a big factor in my choosing the BX2200 over the B7500. Murph also traded up so he has some valid insight.

I side squarely with Dave on this - bigger does not always equate to better. But that is my opinion based on my yard, reseach and wallet.

Phil

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #28  
Hey Dave,

No where in my answer did I figure into it,the size of his lot,vs mine. I took his list of things to do into consideration,and added that he will more than likely find more to use it for than he ever suspected!! Hence my recomendation of going with the larger size of tractor which gives him more power,strenght,and overall capabilities.

Myself I either need an ag-tractor or a push lawn mower............so the S-CUT vs. CUT question never comes up around here!!

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #29  

Markie61,

Your a little off, but close enough. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I have 9 acres with my DK65 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use it for everything, from mowing to digging and do not at all regret the size of the machine.

It fits in the woods, just like my old Massey Ferguson 65. There are to many tractors out there that just would not do what this one will. This tractor handles the 7' finish mower, and 12' bushhog with ease!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ Need help: Should I go for a Compact or SubCompact #30  

Hey Murph,

Great story, I think the neighbors who ask for help plowing driveways should be added to the "not laughing now" list. I got a lot of looks around here when I bought my TC21, but they all ask for help sooner or later.

As far as the tree issue, no a sub-compact or a smaller compact will not pull a tree out of the ground. Mainly what I was getting at (very badly), was tree removal. Moving parts of the tree, otherwise that's what chainsaws are for. And roots are definitely another issue. Good Luck.

Kent