Buying Advice NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #1  

GSOLO2

Tractor
1953 Ford jubilee
Hi, I have been reading this site for many years and I have learned a great deal of info on both tractors and implements, I would like to say thanks to all. I've been talking a long time about upgrading to newer tractor and I have the itch so bad I think I just need to pull the trigger. A topic that is brought up all the time is ,what size tractor do I really need vs what size do I want. I realize that there is no 1 perfect tractor for all jobs around the home. but I still want to give it my best shot at buying the right one. I have 15 flat acres. 3 ac of woods with small trails, 4 ac of fields that I cut 3-4 times a year with a 6 ft rottary cutter (I sharpen the blades to give it a more finished look) and 8ac of lawn that I cut with a 6ft rear finish mower. I have commited myself to a larger HP tractor because of the implements I currently own. My 53 ford jubilee runs all these toys but sometimes just takes a little longer. Please keep in mind that 90% seat time will be some kind of mowing. I have my eye on 2 models. The grand L 3540 and now the su3700. I'm trying to keep my PTO HP near 30 to run the larger cutters and both models have their trade offs. 1, 3540 all the comforts of home. great seat/tilt wheel/flat floor/adjustable telescope links(I'm tired of beating on implements),just a nice tractor. BUT i'm conserned about the weight and turf damage in the tight turns. thats alot of weight with a loader on the front. I've considered turfs but I would really like R4s. Now the su3700. Nice weight to hp ratio,about 1000lbs lighter, but you give up alot of nice features. #1 no mid pto for a belly mower. the question is will I really miss that or not. 2, loader is a lot smaller but it sure will beat my worn out wheelbarrow.So I guess my Question is . Am I on the right track or should I be looking at something else? Any input will be appreciated .Thanks

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #2  
I bought the L3700SU and other than the landscaped yard, my tasks are similar to your but a little scaled down in acres. It has accomplished all of my work so far and well beyond my initial expectations given my lack of experience. I have R4s on mine and haven't noticed any lawn destruction on my admittedly rural looking front lawn.

I don't know of anything out there that will do the job any "better", and I am sure there are a number of alternatives (nod to Roy here :D ) that can do just as good a job, but it seems to me that you just need to decide what creature comforts are essential and what is not worth the money to you in the grand scheme of things. Once you have your list of "have to haves", sit in the seats and takes your pick. :thumbsup:

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #3  
I have a 3940 that I take the bucket off to mow with and don't have any problems with the markings on the grass, unless I try to make a U turn and give it a a good bit of pedal. Or if I try to turn to fast on my hills. I am running a 7 foot RFM and my rears are loaded.

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #4  
Hi, I have been reading this site for many years and I have learned a great deal of info on both tractors and implements, I would like to say thanks to all. I've been talking a long time about upgrading to newer tractor and I have the itch so bad I think I just need to pull the trigger. A topic that is brought up all the time is ,what size tractor do I really need vs what size do I want. I realize that there is no 1 perfect tractor for all jobs around the home. but I still want to give it my best shot at buying the right one. I have 15 flat acres. 3 ac of woods with small trails, 4 ac of fields that I cut 3-4 times a year with a 6 ft rottary cutter (I sharpen the blades to give it a more finished look) and 8ac of lawn that I cut with a 6ft rear finish mower. I have commited myself to a larger HP tractor because of the implements I currently own. My 53 ford jubilee runs all these toys but sometimes just takes a little longer. Please keep in mind that 90% seat time will be some kind of mowing. I have my eye on 2 models. The grand L 3540 and now the su3700. I'm trying to keep my PTO HP near 30 to run the larger cutters and both models have their trade offs. 1, 3540 all the comforts of home. great seat/tilt wheel/flat floor/adjustable telescope links(I'm tired of beating on implements),just a nice tractor. BUT i'm conserned about the weight and turf damage in the tight turns. thats alot of weight with a loader on the front. I've considered turfs but I would really like R4s. Now the su3700. Nice weight to hp ratio,about 1000lbs lighter, but you give up alot of nice features. #1 no mid pto for a belly mower. the question is will I really miss that or not. 2, loader is a lot smaller but it sure will beat my worn out wheelbarrow.So I guess my Question is . Am I on the right track or should I be looking at something else? Any input will be appreciated .Thanks

Either one should do your jobs. Question quite obvious to me is the Luxury Model or the stripped down model. Do you want to pay for the Luxury of saving your bones some distress or do you want the money for other purposes. I'm 63 and there would be no decision for me, I've had an L Grand Kubota and I sure wouldn't trade it to a stripped down model unless I was desperate for money.

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #5  
You better test out the Three Point hitch on the 3700, some are talking that the jerky 3ph is back... it will not be smooth as your old 53 ford jubilee. Just make sure you test it out... Have you thought about a B3300?

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #6  
I cut the lawn with the Ford 8n with R-1's and it does'nt rip it up. If I turn to sharp the front tires will peel up some grass.

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #7  
I looked at the Lxx00 models and immediately upon sitting on a L3240 decided the Grand L model was for me. My wife and I both loved them and went with a good used L30 model. For me, a tractor is a long term purchase and I don't want to have money invested in something that is not the most comfortable. The difference in cost spread out over the period of the loan and especially the life of the tractor is not really all that much.

I run my L5030 HSTC with Industrials on my lawn and it is no worse than my NAA.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Lxx00 tractors, but for me the "bells and whistles are a must have, oh and a cab.

I still have my old "Jubilee" too; seems like there are a lot of those around.

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #8  
I have a L3130 (older model). I think the grand L is the tractor for you. It's seldom that something one buy's that meets and exceeds expectations. If this is a long term purchase then the grand L is the way to go. I have R4 tires and have never seen lawn damage. I do remove the loader becouse it just makes for a nicer ride and only takes minutes to do.

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #9  
Sounds very familiar except my 14 acres has a creek and a few steep places. I also have been running the 53 jubilee. It's been like having 8 big Swedes to move things around but I'm ten years older now and my arms aren't enjoying the armstrong steering and I'm limited with all the tree work I've been doing. Sounds like your land is a bit more tame than mine...I went the 5740 route and expect delivery next week. Ordered a grapple from Anbo and am still shopping on the various tiller models out there.
Bottom line...I can't wait to have power steering, a three point hitch that I don't have to play the sway chain game with while mowing...but having a jubilee has been a good time. I've already got a neighbor that wants it...and they still make new parts for the 350K of them that are still being used in the world!
Whatever you get will be a step in the right direction. I looked at JD models comparable to the 5740 and they would have run almost 7 to 10K more...which paid for all the attachments I'm getting.
Enjoy
Greg

/ NEED HELP SPENDING MONEY #10  
I recently bought an L3700SU. I looked at and drove the Grand considered a full cab version as well as a ROPs version and the way I use tractors and my property all the luxury would be wasted on me. And, we are talking a huge difference in money. The L3700SU is probably the best bang for the buck in tractors at the moment. But if you want luxury, the Grands are it. Very nice.