Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running
Thanks for the follow-up sax. I still haven't figured out what's going on. I ran out on Friday (last) and picked up a quart of anti-gel and a new filter at the local Kubota dealer in PI. After I added the anti-gel I ran the machine and it seemed fine. Late morning Saturday I ran it again for about 1 -1.5 hours and by then I thought everything was jake. I had parked it outside overnight again which was probably a mistake. Sat afternoon I thought I'd go and pick up a few things at the grocery before the storm hit and tried to move the tractor and she wouldn't start at all... not even a cough. The fuel filter bowl looked frosty so I unscrewed it and found a lot of slushy fuel (looked like ice) I cleaned all the shush out and replaced the paper filter cartridge. As I was screwing the bowl and cartridge back on to (the fuel pump???) at a certain point a valve released and fuel filled the bowl. I tried starting it but again wasn't even getting a sputter out of it. Eventually I ran the battery down. My driveway is 1/4 mile long and with the storm coming Sunday, without the tractor to clear my way out I'd be in trouble. I decided to bag it. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back in now with limited access. I think they got an additional 18" on Sunday/Monday. So right now I'm keeping an eye on the snow depth map.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #22  
if you had that stuff in the bowl I would do the 911 treatment in tank and bowl and crank it over with the lines to the injectors a bit loose until you see flow then torque back down and try to start it.. last time mine gelled up had to push into garage for a couple days and take lines completely off warm up and clean out to get them to flow decent.. never again I don't care if 911 is $100/bottle its priceless compared to the a**ache of dealing with a gelled up fuel system..

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #23  
It probably wasn't ice in the bowl but the paraffin in the fuel that apparently separates out when the fuel gets cold. My understanding is that is what actually clogs things up when the fuel gels. Somehow, the anti-gel additives chemically ****** that separation and the 911 reverses it.

I don't think the anti-gel additives reverse the gelling but prevent any further gelling. So, my thought is that you changed the filter and added the anti-gel thinking that would clear up the problem. Then, it took a while for the new filter to clog as well.

I think I would probably check the fuel filter to see if there is fuel in it. When my VW gelled up, if memory serves me correctly, I found that the fuel filter was dry because the paraffin clogged up the filter and very little fuel could get through.

If you find no fuel, I think I would try filling the filter with the 50/50 911/diesel mixture as well as the bowl you mentioned. Then I would add the appropriate amount of 911 to the fuel tank and try to slosh it around if possible to mix things up a bit.

I think the idea is to get the 911 into the fuel filter to clear it up and also into the tank so you don't clog back up again.

I don't know if you would need to loosen the fuel lines a bit as suggested by mykleh. I did not have to do this with my VW.

Then, I would suggest using the PS white bottle or some other anti-gel regardless of where you get your fuel and I would start using it in autumn if you don't put a lot of hours on your tractor. I tend to be a little generous with the treatment. The bottle claims that it won't hurt anything if you overdose a bit. Others on the forum may disagree with that statement. All I do know is that I used PS white and grey treatments for over 10 years and 200,000 miles on my VW and never noticed any problem until I gave my car to my brother at 240,000 miles. He is still driving it, still treating each tank of fuel, and is approaching 300,000 miles.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #24  
When you take the fuel filter off (on the pump, not the one in the sediment bowl) you should fill it with diesel before replacing.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running
When it looks like they're having a few consecutive days of above freezing temps up there I'll probably attempt a trek in with a new battery. I wrapped the tractor in a black plastic tarp before I bailed out on Saturday. Thanks again.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #26  
Bring your snowshoes. :D

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #27  
The only time I add fuel treatment is in the fall when it gets near freezing, as the retailers all sell treated diesel in the winter months so just need to treat what summer fuel is in the tank. Usually try to run the tank down to a few gallons before treating it as it takes care of any moisture in the filter. I regularly drain the tank sump to check for water and have never had a fuel issue down to -25.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #28  
When you take the fuel filter off (on the pump, not the one in the sediment bowl) you should fill it with diesel before replacing.

and maybe 50/50 911/diesel