Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running
The only time I add fuel treatment is in the fall when it gets near freezing, as the retailers all sell treated diesel in the winter months so just need to treat what summer fuel is in the tank. Usually try to run the tank down to a few gallons before treating it as it takes care of any moisture in the filter. I regularly drain the tank sump to check for water and have never had a fuel issue down to -25.

I've been running the tractor in winter (not a whole lot) since I got it without any problems. I added 5 gallons in December to an almost empty tank and another 4 gallons this last Thursday. This all started immediately after I added that last 4 gallons. Can't say for sure but I think I might have gotten some water with that last 4 gallons. The slush that came out of the filter bowl seemed to me watery.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #32  
I say yes, you got some water. When mine gelled up the stuff in the fuel filter and bowl looked like hand lotion almost, maybe just a little thicker and harder when you touched it. If you are seeing slushy looking stuff, I'd say water. I hate to say it but I drain the entire tank and start over. I'd get a couple new filters also.

/ Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running
I say yes, you got some water. When mine gelled up the stuff in the fuel filter and bowl looked like hand lotion almost, maybe just a little thicker and harder when you touched it. If you are seeing slushy looking stuff, I'd say water. I hate to say it but I drain the entire tank and start over. I'd get a couple new filters also.

dodge man, I called the local Kubota dealer for some info on a second filter and you're right; this tractor has a second fuel filter that hasn't been replaced (original to the tractor) thus far. I'll pick up both filter replacements on the next trip. They're not cheap so I'll need to approach this in a particular order.

The tech also suggested, as standard practice, to bleed the fuel line to remove any air introduced into the fuel system when I removed the bowl and cartridge (earlier last week). He identified the location of the bleeder. I think I'll try this first thing and if she doesn't start I'll proceed with draining the tank and then replacing the filters.

Anything beyond oil changes takes me about to the edge of my tractor repair skill set. You guys have been a big help. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Need Help! Tractor Won't Stay Running #34  
I would try to keep your tank full as much as possible. During the year, the condensation from the tank walls can build up moisture that will wick into the fuel. Same thing can happen with infrequently used diesel tanks.

And even though I treat all my fuel with very liberal amounts of Power Service or Howes, use fuel from a highly traveled truck stop, and keep my tank as full as possible, I've had my fuel gel up too. It happened last year in the major cold spell and I think I had summer blend fuel in the machine. 2 gallons of kerosene cured it. Filled the fuel filter bowl and dumped a gallon in the tank, and all was well. Kerosene is very dry though, and has virtually no lubrication properties so it needs to be used sparingly and ideally with a lube additive.