Need Help with Security Cameras

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #1  

firefighter9208

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota M4800
I need some suggestions on security cameras and recorders. I'm the assistant chief of our Volunteer Fire Department. We've had some issues with people doing donuts in the parking lot (tar and gravel) and now someone has stolen our U.S. flag :mad: . It's a 6x10 on top of a 40' pole. Kinda expensive to replace.

Our station is rural and not manned. There is one person that lives next door, but he works during the day.

I need some suggestions for security cameras and a recorder. I would like a camera would work at night to monitor the front parking lot. We do have a sign on top of the building that "somewhat" lights up the parking lot. I want to be able to tell who is in the video.

I also want a recorder that records to a "hard drive" not a video tape.

Here at school we have a digital recorder and I spoke with the guy that installed our system, but he wanted over $2,000 for two cameras and a recorder.

I want something that we can install ourselves. Is this a good system?

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/pse2cacocoso.html

Chris

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #2  
I cant comment on that one it looks good I have used cameras from x-10.com with success they are inexpensive too.

I have had a mini wireless camera mounted at the peak of my roof at my business pointed at the driveway so I can see if someone is coming down the drive etc for probably 10 years running it 24/7/365 and it still works perfect rain or shine cost me about $35 I have it going into an old tv I had sitting around.

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #3  
I hate to say it, but it's one of those areas where you get what you pay for to a large degree. Cameras have improved in quality and come way down in price though since I started playing with them.

Look at the specs for the camera. You're going to want something which has a good low lux capability for your night vision. I'm not overly impressed with the cameras with the IR floods built in if you're looking more than 30-50 feet. Closer is better.

My first camera was .4 lux and has trouble seeing on a well lit street at night. The last camera I bought has a .0002 lux and can read a license plate at 300 feet in the dark with no light.

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #4  
If you think it is being done at night, then I'd suggest putting in motion detector lights. Bright lights, that come on and leave the intruder with the feeling that they are being caught on tape (of Digital). Lighting the vandals way with a light that is continuously on at night isn't much of a deterent, IMO.

If during the day, then motion detectors that also give off a blast of sound. (Guessing you feel the vandals are there during the day from the comment that the next door person is gone during the day).

For help with a system, I'd go to Radio Shack. Might have to work your way past the clerks who don't know so much and find the ones who do know what they have. But that is typical of any store (IMO).

/ Need Help with Security Cameras
I hate to say it, but it's one of those areas where you get what you pay for to a large degree. Cameras have improved in quality and come way down in price though since I started playing with them.

Look at the specs for the camera. You're going to want something which has a good low lux capability for your night vision. I'm not overly impressed with the cameras with the IR floods built in if you're looking more than 30-50 feet. Closer is better.

My first camera was .4 lux and has trouble seeing on a well lit street at night. The last camera I bought has a .0002 lux and can read a license plate at 300 feet in the dark with no light.

Cyril,

What about this camera??? http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/cososuhadccd3.html
Chris

/ Need Help with Security Cameras
If you think it is being done at night, then I'd suggest putting in motion detector lights. Bright lights, that come on and leave the intruder with the feeling that they are being caught on tape (of Digital). Lighting the vandals way with a light that is continuously on at night isn't much of a deterent, IMO.

If during the day, then motion detectors that also give off a blast of sound. (Guessing you feel the vandals are there during the day from the comment that the next door person is gone during the day).

For help with a system, I'd go to Radio Shack. Might have to work your way past the clerks who don't know so much and find the ones who do know what they have. But that is typical of any store (IMO).

We have a fairly well lit parking lot, but turning on a bright light will only help them to see better. I want something that will record what is going on.

The system that I have linked to above is also viewable over a highspeed internet connection. I could log on with my Droid phone and see what's going on in the parking lot from home or work.

Chris

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #7  
We have a vicon system at work 2 dvr's and 32 cameras.
it does some sort of compression you draw a window in the picture and it will record if there is moment in the window.

here is the link it wasn't cheep but works flawlessly it uses cat 5 cable to the camers to carry video and power

ViconNet Software and Components

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #8  
The cameras with the built-in IR emitters all have the problem that there is too much bleed over in the glass covering the front. So the night-vision view is always hazy. You want to get a camera and a separate IR illuminator if you want to "no light" ability.

I just ordered a DVR from the same people you're looking at (CCTV Security Pros), I'll let you know how it goes.

Around here, I got cameras from Super Circuits. They have some small high resolution bullet cameras (their PC337HR) that do OK. For the IR illuminators I used the IR23 and the bigger one (IR75?). Like tractors, bigger is better. I did not like the DVRs at Super Circuits.

Looking at all this stuff on the web is maddening. Incomplete specs, not all sites have the manuals available for download, different terminology, incorrect terminology. It takes a lot of time and then questions on the phone to know what capabilities you will actually be getting.

Finally, if you're really looking at just one or two cameras and have a computer at the station, the IP cameras (run on cat 5) that use the PC for the DVR might be a good bet. I have no direct experience with them, but have heard others say they got it going.

Pete

/ Need Help with Security Cameras #9  

Interesting that it lists it as having a 1/4" CCD in one area and a 1/3" CCD right below it??? Those types of things tend to make me nervous.

To me it's kind of a crap shoot when you get outside of the name brands. Sony is a good brand, but they make cheap CCD sensors too. All depends what the camera manufacturer orders.