need opinions quick on Ford 8000

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000
Thanks guys!

all the pics are great!

Soundguy

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #22  
I have the same problem with the pto on my Oliver 1550. In the Oliver, there's a pto brake, that will have to be tightened or replaced, and is not a big deal. I'm waiting to have my farm mechanic take care of that in the spring, when I have him in do a little work on the carburator.

I have a neighbor who has a Ford 8000. He uses it all the time, and has told me that it's almost trouble free. He's a full time farmer with a number of big Fords, but he seems to use the 8000 a lot. I've always admired that tractor!! It's a beauty!!!

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #23  
My JD 1050 does the same thing. The pto spins from the oil swooshing around inside and like someone else said, it stops as soon as resistance is applied. It has done this since it was new.

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #24  
Steve
Your idea was like mine, and I would test the PTO the same way -carefully BUT without the glove. The bare hand will not wind up on the PTO and the gloved hand may not, but could. Without the glove, the skin will just tear if there is something on the PTO that will try to grab you. Same goes with not wearing gloves while operating a table saw or other type saw. The teeth can catch a glove and suck the hand into it for some real hurt. Without the glove the saw just makes a saw cut without engaging the entire hand. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now the use of the stick is another way, as well as shutting the tractor off with the PTO disengaged. But like always, there are several ways to "skin a cat". At least that is what I hear, as I have never skinned a cat - that is disgusting as I wouldn't eat a cat so wouldn't skin one.

Keep these good ideas comming guys!

Soundguy

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #26  
well? u going to buy it? it does appear to be a large machine, bet it can rip some stumps out, and besides if the WIFE likes it whats a poor fella to do but buy it and make the wife happy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #27  
know what u mean john, when i bougth my 2n , was not sure if it was a 2n or an 8 n, serial # was not very clear so had to go by little things, like the # of lugs on wheels, the style of the front end, finally decided it was a 2 n, not much difference in them either way.still amazed at the way u can bring things up so fast. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Going to look at it again today after work with the wife. For me.. I could go either way.... I already have other tractors.. but she is really smokin' this one over..... might have to get it though, as she said if I didn't, that I shouldn't think about getting a smaller one later......

Soundguy

/ need opinions quick on Ford 8000 #29  
Has the Blizzard affected reality in FL?

Wife wants tractor, man could go either way, welcome to the Twilight Zone.

I can see the next thread "How to convince wife we DON'T need tractor".

Looks like you better get going on buying more land, as you will certainly have plenty of tractor to go around. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

See... that's just it.. I can just hear the neighbors now. Me sitting out there dragging my pasture with the ford 8000... .. they would probably think I had flipped!

At the heart of the story, is the wife wants to get the other 10 ac next to our current property... but heck.. I'm still thinking that this tractor is still way too big for 23 acres?..opinions?

I guess I could um.... use it to cut hay or something.. but heck... I never thought i would be asking myself if I really needed another tractor ( a 105hp tractor that is... )

All opinions are greatly appreciated.. as I'm sure she will want an answer tonight...

I'm almost scared.. normally I have to fight just to buy a small doodad for the old tractor.. at first i thought she was using some kind of strange reverse logic thingy on me...

Soundguy