Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #11  
There are some lighter weight dozers (Komatsu D21, D22) that would be towable by a pickup. From what I read, they are decent pieces of machinery.

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #12  
#1 issue is you live in CA
It would be safer and cheaper to buy an old tandem and a tag trailer than set your truck up. Your truck if you tried to handle this would burn up the axle bearings and put every other part on the truck @ risk of failure.
We have a trencher that wieghts about the same & we put it on a gooseneck on a truck with dual rear wheels and it is all the truck needs on it. I have scaled the truck and trailer and I am able to keep it legal, but I do have to have a CDL and I would never want to take it 60miles from home, as most of the time it is within 15 miles or less under a couple it just get drove. I prefer to put this load on the dump truck with the tag trailer and no load in the bed of the dump. This is also the reason I am looking for a bigger pickup?or medium duty. The more I learn and the older I get the less chances I am willing to take.
Most of the local tracks around here have tracked bobcats and excavator's

Attachments

• trencher.jpg
    trencher.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,671
   / Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #13  
Also, no matter what you do, your truck will always have the factory ratings. Even with your upgrades, all the DOT would care about is the factory tratings of the truck and the fact that you are way over.

Exactly! You could spend $500,000 and mod it to haul 50,000 lbs and they still go by whats in the door jamb.....

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #14  
I work with someone that bought a used D3 wide track, and they use a grain truck and a trailer designed for something that heavy. Looking at just the trailer alone, that would be a load for your pickup to tow, let alone with a dozer on the back. I think you can get buy towing a little bit over you weight limit and still be safe, but my guess is you are exceeding your limit by several thousand pounds. It looks like you vehicle would be rated to tow between 10,000 and 13,000 pounds, with a trailer, you would be exceeding that by at least 9000 pounds, maybe more. In other words, very unsafe, not even close to being safe.

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #15  
I see D3's on 20,000 lbs trailers here... My D3 is a little over 15,000 lbs... so that leaves 4,000 lbs for the trailer.

When I needed to use at my neighbors I drove it the 1/3 mile instead of going to the trouble of transporting it...

Any of the rigs set up to transport full size backhoes should do the job...

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #16  
a d3 should be fairly easily transported behind any "larger" truck, a full size single axle dump truck, flatbed, etc. i'm talking mack, peterbilt, freightliner; not ford f250/350/450, chevy anything, or dodge anything. i can carry d3, d4, d5 dozers on our single axle peterbilt or sterling rollback trucks. a buddy of mine bought a used kodiak rollback truck with air brakes, and is legally able to carry d3 sized dozers for $4000.

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #17  
You might get by pulling it with a pickup.......................

.....................until that elderly lady pulls out in front of you..............

can you say vehicular manslaughter!!!!

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #18  
I see D3's on 20,000 lbs trailers here... My D3 is a little over 15,000 lbs... so that leaves 4,000 lbs for the trailer.

I have a 14,000 GVW gooseneck. It weighs about 4500#.

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #19  
a d3 should be fairly easily transported behind any "larger" truck, a full size single axle dump truck, flatbed, etc. i'm talking mack, peterbilt, freightliner; not ford f250/350/450, chevy anything, or dodge anything. i can carry d3, d4, d5 dozers on our single axle peterbilt or sterling rollback trucks. a buddy of mine bought a used kodiak rollback truck with air brakes, and is legally able to carry d3 sized dozers for $4000.

So you don't think it a good idea to tow a D3 with F450 but would load a D5 on a single axle Sterling?

Towing 18k on a 6k trailer is within spec for a F450. I am a Ford fan but am sure that a Chevy 4500/5500 or a Dodge 4500/5500 would be just as capable.

FWIW There are several guys around here that haul 16k on a 20k trailer towing with SRW Dodges and Fords. They go about 50-60 miles to the auction this way.

/ Need to tow a CAT D3 dozer with my non-dually F350 #20  
Hire the dozer moved by someone with the equipment to do it safely. Or buy the proper equipment to do it yourself. Towing that dozer with a SRW F350 makes you a hazard to everyone else on the road.
2 times.