Need Tractor Advice (and education)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #11  
What we are all trying to say is dont buy a MMM based on an emotional response. If you want a MMM then by all means buy one, but not for the reason stated. Of course if you want MMM then that narrows the choices, and throws out all of the L and M series tractors in the Kubota line as you need a Mid PTO that they do not have. So B series or Grand L series. Grand L series are heavier, Their loaders have more lift capability, and they have many deluxe features. including an advanced Hydrostat transmission with several elecronically controlled features. Google, or search for Hydrostat Plus sometimes called HST+ there are also different versions of this. These advanced and Deluxe features are very nice, and useful, but they do come at an "advanced'" price. Many of us simply cannot afford or justify spending 5 to 6 thousand more for a tractor that basically does the same thing, albeit maybe a little easier or better. Also some of the Kioti line compare to the Grand L Kubota line, and also Bobcat. Some of those really worthwhile features like Telescoping lower 3pth links and Telescoping "sway chains" are really worthwhile features to have to make hooking up 3pt implements easier. There are "workarounds" if you dont have them. Whether you want to buy one of the more expensive models or one of the lower priced , lower featured models is up to you and your wallet. Be sure to get the SSQA on your Front End Loader no matter what you buy, as you will be kicking your own Butt for years after for not doing so. The ability to quickly change implements on you Front end is just as important as changing 3pt implements on the rear end. I learned that lesson the hard expensive retrofit way. Good luck, keep asking questions and take your time making your decision.. thanks for stopping by.

James K0UA

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #12  
I forgot to ask the question about the 4 wheel drive, but was wondering...I thought it would matter, but was wondering if it would matter for a flat field like mine. Thanks for the advice./QUOTE]

For doing any loader work the four wheel assist comes in very handy. Helps in all kinds of situations that require some extra traction.

The front tire size is dictated by the gearing on four wheel assist. The diameter must remain the same as the originals.:)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #13  
Don't get tied up on a single brand. Find as many local dealers as you can. Not only are purchasing a machine but you're also investing in a dealership to support you. I agree do not decide on implements based on emotion. Face it tractors and their implements are dangerous by nature. Don't let children play around the equipment. My wife lost an uncle to a tractor accident and was very nervous when I bought my machine.

Good luck on your new purchase.

Last edited:
   / Need Tractor Advice (and education) #14  
I had a MMM mower on a small B7510 Kubota. With MMM on, you have virtually no ground clearance for tractor work, ie; fel work, driveway maint, ground work, etc.

Taking MMM off and on had to be done on cement and it was still a pain.

For the price of a MMM, you can buy a low-end ZTR and a 3pt cutter, and you have a much more versatile package.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #15  
You have received some excellent advice so far and all I can add is that I have found in many situations that a one machine/tractor to do it all simply doesn't work. Any one machine is going to cause compromise in another area. Our primary tractors are a BX and Grand L 5030 though we do own others. The BX is primarily for mowing and the GL for everything else.

You could go with a dedicated lawn mower and something in the 35-40 or so for everything else.

As for your dirt projects, you need something bigger. My sons and I built a shooting range using a couple of fairly big tractors and it took months and a LOT of diesel. The floods this spring washed it almost all away and if we rebuild will rent heavy equipment.

We rent a mini excavator rather than buy back hoe, but if you can afford one they can be handy to have around, we have just found better uses for our money.

Your wife will just have to accept that a cutter is going to be essential and if she has to keep the kids in the house etc. while it is in operation then do what makes her comfortable. Some really like flail mowers as opposed to rotary cutters, but I have no experience with them.

As to "bells and whistles", I find they enhance mt comfort and productivity, some don't.

Look at the brands mentioned so far and you will find the one that is right for you.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #16  
My wife and I were almost in exactly the same situation, down to the in-laws moving in next door.:laughing:

We have a 30 hp and it does everything we need.

To echo the advice about the finish mower. We bought one. It has been used twice in 3 years. Depending on what you do for landscaping in the 1.0- 1.5 acres around the house, the turning radius on the tractor may be more of a hassle then the benefits you get from using it. If the area is nothing but wide open grass (or grass with a very few obstructions), then it will be great. Buy if you are like us, between the trees we planted, the flower/planting beds we put in and the swing set/play area for the kid, the tractor with the finish mower is useless (too much time backin' and fillin' to get around the stuff in the yard). A riding lawn mower (or ZTR) is much easier to use in that area and faster.

One other piece of advice, you don't need to buy everything upfront. Get a good tractor, a brush hog, a box blade and a FEL and then live with it for awhile to see. A backhoe attachment is a great piece of equipment and sounds exciting to have, but you may find that you woul do better renting one or renting an actual backhoe for the times you need it then paying $8-$12K for an attachment that will sit around for 364 days a year.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #17  
Two other points:

1. You are going to be learning as you are doing-which is great, but it is also another reason to focus on fewer implements. It sounds like you are jumping into the deep end and will have a lot to juggle.

2. I hope your wife doesn't read this (since she is already nervous about the whole tractor thing to begging with), but the finish mower is not the implement to be concerned about, but the PHD (augur). According to the conventional wisdom that I have read here, all implements are dangerous, but the PHD is the one most likely to maim or kill. Between the spinning shaft and people treating it nothing more than a big shovel, there seems to be regular stories of people losing arms, legs, etc to the PHD.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #18  
I think you should take a close look at the Jd 2000 and 3000 series for the the simple reason you can get mmm that are drive over and only take 5 minutes to take on and off without lifting or pulling your wife could take the mower deck off

Also with only 7 acres I think a 40hp tractor is a little big because what you are going to find is that the larger machines will start to rut your grass and you find that you will have to do alot more hand mowing or trimming with a large tractor

We have 27 acres and 3 houses so I mow about 10 acres a week between all 3 houses we have a Jd 3720 ,2320 and a ferris is2500 zero turn

I would suggest you look at 2 pieces a2000 series tractor and a zero turn to mow one that helps the wife with the mower problem 2 you can mow the grass after it rains and be done alot faster

Sorry guys about typing I'm using my phone

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #19  
My wife years ago was operating a Sears lawn tracter we had just bought at her parents house to mow some unkept areas. She ran over some unseen bolts and a 3/8" bolt was thrown and stuck in my mother-in-laws leg. Mowers are dangerous no matter the size. The safety measure is to keep others away and your head in the game when using them. A brush hog will run a long time after you take the pto out of gear and if you forget about that or someone doesn't realize it, it won't be pretty.

I have a MMM. When we bought the tractor, I did not consider buying an RFM. The MMM is nice to use because it is easier to judge where you are when mowing close to something, doesn't have a big turning radius as does an RFM or even worse a brush hog, but as mentioned is more of a pain to take off or install and more expensive. They are pretty tough, but not a substitute for a brush hog to clear areas. I think using the MMM is slightly safer because the shaft is not exposed at least easily to someone and the MMM does add some weight low like the ballast on a sailboat for when you are mowing on an incline, but neither of these would be enough to sway me one way or the other as to MMM vs RFM.

We have property similar to yours and bought a B2920. It is small enough to be trailerable and a great size for our 3 acres where we live. But on the other acreage, it is ok, but clearly a bit bigger tractor would have been beneficial in a number of the things I have gotten into.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #20  
I re-read your post and realized you were also asking for thoughts on tractors. In Kubota's line, I would have a hard time recommending any of the B series tractors that utilize a 1/4" valve to control lifting the 3 Pt hitch to anyone who is going to use the tractor a lot for brush hogging. It works nice and smooth and and works fine for everything I do except running the rotary mower. That is because it will not keep the implent at a set height for a prolonged period of time. In 15 minutes it will drop about 3/4". If you are mowing and forget about it, you will turn around and see the front of the mower dragging on the ground. There are work arounds, but I would still recommend avoiding it. With that said, the B3030 is a tractor with features very similar to the Grand L (no HST + and no digital dash board) but in a smaller cheaper size. It has the telescopic stabilizers and telescopic lower arms to make hooking up implements easier, probably eliminating the need for a quick attach and it has position control for the 3 pt hitch which will hold the implement on the back at the height you want. The 3030 should handle a 5' brush hog and a 6' RFM that you speced.

The basic L's with the model numbers ending in 00 have the jerky hitch issue that you can find plenty on in the Kubota section unless you go to the L4400. Or if you want/need the size of a Grand L, they are very nice.