Need Tractor Advice (and education)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #21  
I'll throw out my opinion on a couple of issues.

4 wheel drive is a must, make it a must have item, unless you find something used in 2 wheel drive that is a great buy.

What size? Its easy to buy to large or to small. I'm most familiar with the Kubota line so I'll refer to them, but other brands make similar size tractors.

Kubota BX, more for lawn mowing with some tractor abilities. You could get by with a BX, but I think its to small. This would feel more like a very large riding mower.

Kubota B. This is the line I think you should get. Big enough for more serious work, but small enough you could still finish mow with it easily. Keep in mind that Kubota has a large difference in the B line, some are smaller and some are bigger, both in size and horsepower. A B sized Kubota will feel quite a bit bigger than a riding mower, but not feel huge.

Kubota L. Like the B line, they make a lot of different sizes, but this is getting into a more serious tractor. It will move dirt, clear trees, brush hog much better than the smaller Kubotas. As far as finish mowing the yard, I think the L it too big, unless you have a wide open, very large yard. If you did finish mow with a L, you could get a pretty good sized mower for it, maybe approaching 10' wide. If you decided to have a larger yard, this would make mowing quicker.

A couple of options. Buy bigger up front, and when you get done with the heavy work, sell and buy something smaller.

Buy big and get a separate lawn mower.

Buy what you think will work best in the long run, and rent something or pay someone for the heavy work in the beginning.

Something that hasn't been discussed in money. What is your budget? I can tell you if you got a larger L series tractor, with a back hoe, and all the attachments you want, it would be easy to spend 50k in a hurry. You could get into a BX with a lot of attachments for probably 20k. Budget may be the biggest factor in your decision.

Good luck.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education)
Thanks again for all of the information and advice. I had wondered if I'm taking on a bit too much by looking at the different attachments rather than just focusing on a few of the attachments...then again, I wanted to get it all as a "package" rather than having to trickle in the attachments (it is more palatable to my wife that way).

Is there a significant difference between the 3130's and the other ~30HP tractors that Kubota makes (or the same thing with the JD's or others...are there significant differences between the various 30HP models from the same manufacturer?) I just don't know why there are multiple tractors of the same/similar strength unless there are other features. Someone suggested "bells and whistles" but I don't know what qualifies as core functionality vs. bell/whistle.

I appreciate the information, and any additional that people want to give.
-Scott

Budget was asked, and I'm trying to budget somewhere around $20K for the initial setup (that would be for the tractor, FEL, and BrushHog). Additional would be used for getting the other attachments, but $20K is kind of where I've drawn my line.
Of course, anything less than $20K would be exceptional.
-Scott

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #24  
I agree completely with whoever said not to go overboard on attachments as it is easy to do. I have a rotary tiller that rarely gets used. I bought it because some family members who had never raised a garden thought it would be great and "fun" to grow their own food. Anyone want to guess how many still think that?:laughing:

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #25  
Budget was asked, and I'm trying to budget somewhere around $20K for the initial setup (that would be for the tractor, FEL, and BrushHog). Additional would be used for getting the other attachments, but $20K is kind of where I've drawn my line.
-Scott

Ok the Grand L series is now out of the running, that leaves the Standard L's some of the B series. A lot of the John Deeres are now out of the running also. (at least as priced around here). Still in the running are Kioti (the other orange tractor), and probably bobcat. too. You should look hard at Kioti if you have a nearby dealer that looks like you can trust, (not some fly by nite with a trailer for a main building) you get a few more things for your hard earned dollar with Kioti.. I have a standard L series Kubota, an L3400HST with the La463 loader. and I paid under your $20,000 and would have had enough left over to get the brush hog, ( I allready had one ) Another new brand on the scene is LS if you have a dealer near you, worth a look. In my area, John Deere's are priced higher than Kubota's, I like the stability of the Kubota dealer network, but I would not be opposed to looking around if I was buying now. Kioti (and bobcat) are the same root manufacture (daedong in Korea) and Kioti has been here now for over 10 years. So they are probably here to stay and getting bigger. keep asking questions, and keep learning.

James K0UA

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #26  
-Scott

Yeah, that budget would put the green tractors out of the running around here. You need to look at Kubota and Kioti.

At the size you are looking at, if you stay with the major players, the tractors are all equally good. Consequently, you should be focusing on the dealership. What are they like? Can you get along with them? Are they willing to explain everything and let you test drive (at their place) the tractors and (most importantly) what is their service department like?

I went by the dealership tonight and talked to them about several of their options. He showed me a B3300 (I think), but said that the B series may be a little small for what I'm looking to do - he figured 32-38 HP was about right, but thought the platform of the B may be a little smaller than what I'd want to use. He then showed me their L3200 and L3800, which was what he said was probably the best fit for my needs. The 3800 with the quick disconnect FEL would be about 20,500 or so. Finally, he touched on the GL3240 and the GL3940. He thought these may be a little too large for my needs (harder to get into the brush, etc), but still in the range of acceptable for the work I was looking at doing. The GL3940 with FEL was about $26K.
His strongest suggestion was for the L3800, followed by the L3200 - his thought was that the 32 would probably fit most needs, but for the minimal cost difference (less than $1K) I should go for the extra power.
Everything he priced was new, and everything was Kubota brand (FELs). They had the quick disconnect buckets, etc.
I hadn't tried dickering with him, as I don't know how much he could/would discount from the price. My guess is there was some wiggle room in there, but I don't know what the ballpark pricing should be and I didn't want to start trying to dicker down until after I actually have the land and am ready to buy the tractor. There are three Kubota dealers in Louisville, so there's some competition. I have a Mahindra dealer about 25 miles away, a Kioti dealer about 15 miles away, and a JD dealer about 20-25 away. My guess is that I got quoted a slightly higher price than what they could do, with the expectation that I was going to shop and bargain hunt and they wanted some room for negotiations. That's just a guess, though.

He also showed me a 4in1 bucket from a 3rd party in North Carolina that can be used as a bucket, a blade, or a grapple (has 3000 lb of force). It and the connections would cost an additional $2000 (that's after a $600 rebate for trading in the bucket from whatever FEL I purchase). I don't remember the name, but I have it written down so will have to post it to see what you guys think...I am interested in the grapple function to try to clear out some of my back 2 acres.
On a side note, he pretty much mimicked your comments regarding the BackHoe and talked me out of buying and into renting on an as-needed basis (his idea was that if I found that I needed frequent rentals, then I should buy it, but wait until that's proven first)

Finally, what are your thoughts about buying used vs. buying new? And if I'm buying used, what should I be looking for (how many hours, wear in particular areas, common failure points, things that show that the tractor has been well-kept vs. abused, etc). I see that I could save significantly buying used online, and possibly 'upgrade' tractors. Is there a common spot that you guys go to check things out? I've only really found TractorHouse.com but am sure that there are other 'clearing houses' for tractors.

Thanks again for everything...I truly appreciate the advice and the education.
-Scott

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #28  
If you are buying used and in doubt about inspecting it hire a professional to give it the once over.:)

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #29  
I'll toss my 2 cents in as well, but for the most part I think you致e been given pretty good advice. You said something about mowing down near the creek what kind of clearance both width and overhead do you have? This will help determine the size of the tractor will it fit between the trees? As for the implements you mentioned (FEL, BH, bushhog, auger and finish mower) I'd start with the FEL and bushhog, and maybe the auger depending on whether you will need it right away. Get the others later after you decide you really need them.

As for bushhog size I run a 60 with a 23 hp L235. Just be sure the weight of any implement does not exceed the lift capacity of your 3 point hitch. Now a word on lift capacity. Most specs state the ability to lift a weight 2 behind the 3 pt hitch pins, but the weight of a 60 bushhog is farther back than that so it will have to weigh less than the 2 spec point.

As for the HST vs. gear. I have 1 HST type and 2 gear types. I prefer the gear. However the HST has better speed control than the gear type does. If you're going to be up close to objects the HST may be better, but if out in the field, then probably the gear.

I'd also get 4WD. Even for flat dry land. It increases your traction. Really helps with a FEL. A FEL will be much more useful than you can imagine. It is more than a powered wheelbarrow as was mentioned earlier limited only by your imaginagion as to how to put it to work. (e.g. I've used it as a scaffold :eek: and is much more stable than a ladder just be careful.)

You may also want to consider a canopy if you're going to be out in the sun for a long time.

/ Need Tractor Advice (and education) #30  
If you do get the HST, and I think you are leaning that way, and if you are going to mow at a fixed ground speed for quite a while be sure to get cruise control for the HST. it was standard on my L3400HST. but I believe it is optional on the L3200 and the L3800, worth it if you go that way, If you go gear of course it is not needed or offered. As you just select your gear, and set the hand throttle and it stays there. Have you tried Barlows? They are in KY. for a quote, a lot of guys suggest that they are quite a bit cheaper on Kubota's than a lot of others. Would't hurt to get a quote.

James K0UA