Need Trailer Advice

/ Need Trailer Advice #21  
Drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive certain CMVs since April 1, 1992.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has developed and issued standards for the testing and licensing of CDL holders. These standards require States to issue CDLs to certain CMV drivers only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests, administered by the State and related to the type of vehicle the driver expects to operate.
Drivers are required to obtain and hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce if they drive a vehicle that meets any of the classifications of a CMV described below.

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

/ Need Trailer Advice #22  
Drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive certain CMVs since April 1, 1992.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has developed and issued standards for the testing and licensing of CDL holders. These standards require States to issue CDLs to certain CMV drivers only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests, administered by the State and related to the type of vehicle the driver expects to operate.

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

What's your point?

Federally, personal use is NOT exempt from CDL. ;)

/ Need Trailer Advice #23  
My point is you do not need a CDL for personal use, if you operate for money you do

/ Need Trailer Advice #25  
I showed you where it said that. the quote was from the FMCSA guide and from a DOT officer. how much more do you want?

/ Need Trailer Advice #26  
i would get a 14000 pound gooseneck.

/ Need Trailer Advice #28  
That is absolutely not necessarily true.

That is why I asked to show where it says that.
I think he is keying in on the phrase he quoted: Drivers are required to obtain and hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce . The theory being, no commerce, no CDL. Personally I find this hard to believe; it's like saying I could collect 18 wheelers for a hobby and drive them around without a CDL.

/ Need Trailer Advice #29  
That is what the DOT officer said. I asked him again and he gave me the same answer. That was the exact same example he used about the 18 wheelers.

/ Need Trailer Advice #30  
I think he is keying in on the phrase he quoted: Drivers are required to obtain and hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce . The theory being, no commerce, no CDL. Personally I find this hard to believe; it's like saying I could collect 18 wheelers for a hobby and drive them around without a CDL.

You never met my cousin and uncle then. They have 5 currently with farm tags. No CDL.

Chris