Negotiating Price on Used Tractor

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #1  

Stickbo

Tractor
2008 Kubota MX5100
I am a newbie here, but have been devouring all the knowledge of those who have come before me. What a great place for a new tractor buyer!
I currently have 21 acres and am in the process of buying another 43 acres adjoining it. It's time for a tractor, and I've been researching 40-50hp models. I started out thinking new, but the newness of the tier 4 coming in this year, not to mention the prices I was finding has me considering used as well.

I've found a nice used one that is just about perfect. Less than 200 hours, and clean as a whistle. The asking price seems fairly in line with other similar tractors I've found on TractorHouse.com. Basically about $5,000 less than a comparable brand new machine. My question is on just how much I might be able to negotiate off the asking price of a used machine. I've seen comments that suggest a discount of 15% or more off the MSRP on new machines. Does any similar formula apply to a used machine?

I'm sure this question has a multitude of answers and really depends on whether it is priced reasonably to begin with. But as I mentioned, this unit is pretty much in line with other comparable used machines that I have seen listed.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #2  
Make them an offer that you think is fair and see if they take it. As far as the $5000 off new that would depend on the tractor initial cost, was it a $20k (25% off) or $50k (10% off)? Best way for others to help is by supplying the model and any add on equipment or accessories along with the asking price.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor
Thanks for the reply. This particular tractor is a Kubota MX5100 with a loader priced at $22,500. I'm comparing it to an MX5200 new model which I know I could buy for $27,500 after rebates with the standard gear box. But I've also been devouring the listings on TractorHouse.com and wonder about those prices as well. I don't mind driving to pick up a good clean low hours tractor for a decent price.
Thanks!

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #4  
I'm very happy with my MX. I paid 24,500 for mine at the end of 2013. Honestly, I wouldn't sell mine for 22,500 today, but the seller must have his reasons for selling. I don't buy things new very often, so I'm dealing with craigslist sellers etc. relatively often. I don't often find someone who won't come down 10%, especially if you have cash in hand. I think that the price you listed is very good. If you can get him to knock a grand or two off, even better. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #5  
Who has the tractor and why are they selling? Motivated seller is someone who has died. Moving to a tractorless location,is another reason. Loss of job and ability to pay. As you can see the reason for selling helps determine the discount. Cash in hand really helps if you have two hundred uncle bens people know you are a serious buyer.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor
The seller is motivated, but has the tractor on consignment with a dealer. Obviously, the dealer is motivated to make as much as he can. I'm going to try throwing an offer at them and see where it goes.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #7  
I almost bought a used MX5100 4WD in 2013. Had 350 hrs., 844 FEL, barn kept, nice used machine. The dealer said he would take $18,500 but the tractor did not have a grill guard. I offered $18,500 if the dealer would throw in a grill guard. Well the dealer did not throw in the grill guard and I walked away. 2 months later I found a used Kubota M5040 4WD w/ 1153 FEL, 350 hrs., barn kept and so clean it made the used MX5100 look bad. The M5040 is a heavier and all around nicer machine than the MX 5100 with better features. Paid $20,700 and was glad I bought it instead of the MX5100. Yes I paid more but I got a lot more tractor and I really liked it. I kept it until I bought a much larger farm and needed a larger more powerful tractor. With 60 plus acres, my advice is to look for a 4WD tractor with more capability than an MX5100.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #8  
With that much property, and that ballpark price, I'd skip the MX and go with something bigger. For the kind of money you're talking about you could actually get into one of the smaller Utility machines that will have far more capability.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #9  
The MX series are really a great line, stripped down on the bells and whistles, but real work horses. I was at my dealer yesterday picking up some filters and such, and I swear I saw a 5100 sitting on the lot, might even have been new. Powers Equipment in Vinton, VA.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #10  
Hi,

I just joined the site and figure I should start a new thread but not finding the tab. I have a small property with a 1/3 acre stand of wine grapes. I don't need much of a tractor as have a neighbor that helps nicely, but I found a small tractor, an MT160 D Mitsubishi that is clean, runs well, and has a small set of disks and a working roto till (for 3K) and will have a small loader for maybe 1200 or so more. The seller is a real nice guy and honest; my problem is I can't find anyone to partner with and don't really have enough use for it, but then, having one when needed (like lifting barrels for racking wine or garden work) is nice too. I am learning that parts for the MT180 D and the MT250 D are mostly interchangeable with the MT160 D. The price I think is reasonable but if I needed to sell it, well. Any background that would help me or help me find a partner would be appreciated.