Negotiating Price on Used Tractor

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor
Gardenfarmer, personally, I wouldn't want to own something like a tractor with a partner. It might work out for some, but I'd worry about all the expenses that will come after the initial purchase. Will your partner and you always agree on what needs to be done and how to fix it? Some guys keep their equipment in top shape. Others make good use of duct tape and wire. And sometimes things break because they are machines, and other times they break because of operator error. If one of you is a klutz the other might resent being dinged for constant repairs. It's just me, but I want my own machine.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor
As for my own question, I really do think the MX5100 is more than enough machine to do anything I will need. Most of the property will be maintained as wildlife cover. Plant trees, mow, planning and maintain good plots, make a little firewood. Even though we are men and all know that bigger is always better (ala Home Improvement) a 50+ HP tractor will surely do everything I need done.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #13  
As for my own question, I really do think the MX5100 is more than enough machine to do anything I will need. Most of the property will be maintained as wildlife cover. Plant trees, mow, planning and maintain good plots, make a little firewood. Even though we are men and all know that bigger is always better (ala Home Improvement) a 50+ HP tractor will surely do everything I need done.

Your land use plans sound a lot like mine, and the MX 5100 works perfect on my 80 acres. Amazing how a tractor that big will get around in some tight spots.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #14  

65 years ago most of this country was farmed with Farmall Ms and smaller. 30 hp was considered nice 45 hp was big. A 50 hp tractor in that configuration will do a lot of work. I think you are on the right track.

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #15  
Sounds like a decent price. Is there any remaining warranty?

/ Negotiating Price on Used Tractor #16  
Hi,

I just joined the site and figure I should start a new thread but not finding the tab. I have a small property with a 1/3 acre stand of wine grapes. I don't need much of a tractor as have a neighbor that helps nicely, but I found a small tractor, an MT160 D Mitsubishi that is clean, runs well, and has a small set of disks and a working roto till (for 3K) and will have a small loader for maybe 1200 or so more. The seller is a real nice guy and honest; my problem is I can't find anyone to partner with and don't really have enough use for it, but then, having one when needed (like lifting barrels for racking wine or garden work) is nice too. I am learning that parts for the MT180 D and the MT250 D are mostly interchangeable with the MT160 D. The price I think is reasonable but if I needed to sell it, well. Any background that would help me or help me find a partner would be appreciated.

I know it is difficult to find how to start a new thread. You first need to go to "Forums" and then select which forum you want to start a new thread in. then there is a button that says start new thread.

As for the tractor, I agree with Stickbo - you do not want a partnership - not for $3000. You will be surprised at how much you use this little guy - maybe for a little thing here or there but you will be unhappy about not having it when you want to use it as you will probably start it at least weekly. I do not know much detail about the Mitsubishis but in general they have a good reputation. You will find a loader real handy for lifting things as you mentioned. If this tractor is in good working order and clean I do not think this sounds bad at all - assuming you want the disc and rototiller.