Buying Advice Never owned a tractor

/ Never owned a tractor #1  

jjlanotte

Bronze Member
Tractor
1969 MF135 Perkins Gas
Hey all,

Im buying a 4 acre cash crop farm and im looking at buying my first ever tractor. Ive fallen in love with all the old fords but my problem is I need something that will till. Additional attachments id like to be able to run is a finish mower, post hole digger, scraper, and maybe a loader. I understand that the fords land speeds are to fast to till but is there one that still has that classic look with a suitable transmission? Ive looked at all the Ns and hundred series and cant seem to locate anything. Please help guide me.

/ Never owned a tractor
Just a side note, ive been looking at ford 2000 8speeds. Thoughts? Is it slow and powerful enough to run say a 5' tiller

/ Never owned a tractor #3  
Your best transmissions for slow speeds over the ground are HST transmissions.

They have max torque at low speeds.

/ Never owned a tractor #4  
The Ford 2000 with 8 speeds and 3000 Lb tractor and 31 PTO HP should handle a 5' Tiller. I don't know the lowest speed for the 2000 but I would think it's fine selection if you have mechanical ability to maintain and repair a unit of this age.

I would recommend though you look at something newer for your needs with diesel, 4WD, front end loader, and around 25-30 HP - these can be found for $6-10K range depending on condition, and as Jeff stated the hydro is great, but at the same time gear will do.

There are many good vintage machines, Kubota, John Deere, and Ford with 25-30 HP 4WD machines, with loaders - the list of models is very long...

CB

/ Never owned a tractor #5  
You need to be carefull with the old Fords and make sure they have a "live" pto or a two stage clutch.I am sure Soundguy will pipe in and tell you the models(old fords ect) that are capable for your uses.

/ Never owned a tractor
The transmission for the 2000 says it runs at 1.6mph on the 8spd unit. Is that too fast to till? Also looking at a 681 with SOS transmission. It rates it down to 1mph in first gear. And to answer the other question about maintenance, I guess I would say ive never touched a tractor but I do have an A&P cert. To work on aircraft and I usually do all the mechanics on my car. So im maybe naively assuming I have what it takes to work on tractors. I just dont want to spend a whole lot and I really love the look of the old fords. Thing is I must be able to till with it.

/ Never owned a tractor #7  
Nothing says you can't have an N series down the road. They make great lawn mowers and are actually not too bad on gas as well. I would think you are going to want something with a HST transmission just so you can very easy alter the speed with just little adjustments of your foot. I have a few tractors, one brand new that is just so handy I can't think I would ever get rid of it, then the 8N, that is just....something. And I just don't want to get rid of that as well....the others are just machines.

For some reason (well I know the reason) but if you can find an 8N that is still 6V those seem to go for a little less money. Don't let the 6V scare you off....a properly working 6V system is all that tractor needs......even in the winter....Mine starts right up and it is still 6V with points....part of the draw to the old machines is they are old machines....I don't want 12V or points-less, or whatever....I want it as it left the factory....with a little patina.

/ Never owned a tractor #8  
If I were you I would keep the nostalgic thought but get out of the 50's and into the late 60's/ early 70's. Think diesel.

/ Never owned a tractor #9  
The transmission for the 2000 says it runs at 1.6mph on the 8spd unit. Is that too fast to till? Also looking at a 681 with SOS transmission. It rates it down to 1mph in first gear. And to answer the other question about maintenance, I guess I would say ive never touched a tractor but I do have an A&P cert. To work on aircraft and I usually do all the mechanics on my car. So im maybe naively assuming I have what it takes to work on tractors. I just dont want to spend a whole lot and I really love the look of the old fords. Thing is I must be able to till with it.

You don't want a 681 with the SOS transmission; they have a history of breaking, and can be extremely difficult to repair (sometimes impossible). You'll find many have been converted to the more common 4 or 5 speed tranny....for a reason!

Is the 2000 a 4 cylinder, or 3 cylinder? The 3 cylinder models started in 1965, but was a completely new design.

/ Never owned a tractor
Lets try this then. My priorities 1) must roto-til effectively w/ 5 ft tiller. 2) must be able to use 2 plow. 3) cost: I really dont want to go over 4500. 4) least important (more of a want than need) nostalgic ford. I feel like that ford idea is slipping away and when it comes down to it I really just be reliable and do the aformentioned work. I seem to be gathering knowledge quickly but I know very little about brands, reliability, and a good deal if I see one. With that said is kioti a good brand? Looking at a used lk3054 right now.