Buying Advice Never owned a tractor

/ Never owned a tractor #12  
That was super helpful :confused2:

/ Never owned a tractor #13  
When you say, "cash crop farm," I'm assuming you have an expectation of profitability vice "this is a hobby".

I'll suggest that nostalgia driving a decision concerning what tractor (tool) to purchase to achieve profitability is not the correct path to go.

Do you have the skills, tools, and facility to maintain your own equipment?

I'll suggest that you should be considering newer equipment. Maybe new with 0% financing?

4 acres does not leave a lot of wiggle room to absorb repairs and subsequent delays in getting the field tilled and or planted.

Bob

/ Never owned a tractor #14  
Do you have the skills, tools, and facility to maintain your own equipment?

I'll suggest that you should be considering newer equipment. Maybe new with 0% financing?

4 acres does not leave a lot of wiggle room to absorb repairs and subsequent delays in getting the field tilled and or planted.

Bob

He did state

"And to answer the other question about maintenance, I guess I would say ive never touched a tractor but I do have an A&P cert. To work on aircraft and I usually do all the mechanics on my car. So im maybe naively assuming I have what it takes to work on tractors"

So aircraft mechanic - tractors are probably simpler, but I think you point partially was that if you need to "get the crop in" you need reliable machines.

to the OP - the Kioti 3054 @ 30hp should be no problem with a 2 bottom plow or a 5' rototiller, and does it have a FEL (Loader)? How many hours?

/ Never owned a tractor
That was super helpful :confused2:

LOL sorry, im new to all this. Im learning quick tho! Its looking more and more that the more "nostalgia" type machines do not go slow enough to till. That makes me sad lol but im moving past it. Im focusing more on ford 3000's and a kiot 3054. The Kioti i feel is going to bid well past my price range but a lot of the 3000s seem to be capable of doing the job i want.

/ Never owned a tractor #16  
LOL sorry, im new to all this. Im learning quick tho! Its looking more and more that the more "nostalgia" type machines do not go slow enough to till. That makes me sad lol but im moving past it. Im focusing more on ford 3000's and a kiot 3054. The Kioti i feel is going to bid well past my price range but a lot of the 3000s seem to be capable of doing the job i want.

Sorry, my reply wasn't to your post about priorities....my fault that it wasn't clear. For some weird reason a few folks here rarely offer advice, or try to help answer questions, but post in seemingly every thread.

The Ford 3000 series, or 2000 series of the same vintage, are certainly worth looking at....lots still out there, and good parts support. A very popular competitor from the same timeframe would be a Massey 135, or slightly newer models like the 230/235/231.

/ Never owned a tractor #17  
Lets try this then. My priorities 1) must roto-til effectively w/ 5 ft tiller. 2) must be able to use 2 plow. 3) cost: I really dont want to go over 4500. 4) least important (more of a want than need) nostalgic ford. I feel like that ford idea is slipping away and when it comes down to it I really just be reliable and do the aformentioned work. I seem to be gathering knowledge quickly but I know very little about brands, reliability, and a good deal if I see one. With that said is kioti a good brand? Looking at a used lk3054 right now.

Keeping the costs under 4500 I think is going to be pretty hard. I am reading between the lines here and get the idea from you saying that you are new at this, that you are also not very experienced at turning wrenches. If that is correct I think that you really are going to need to re-look at things. I also think that for a learning curve a HST tractor is a little less steep. There are lots of little adjustments you have to make for that tiller to do its job the best, that plow to do what it needs to do....move the top link in or out and it will make what happens behind you very different....it could make you not move at all. Toss that on top of a gear tractor, that is just one more thing to keep on top of. Now I also think with your price point you are going to be looking at a machine that is going to need a little TLC...if that price includes a tiller and a plow....you have your work cut out for you. I really think you need to be looking at the best possible machine, and might even save up. As to the Kioti I would make sure you have good dealer support. Right now I think I would be safe calling that machine an up and comer.....Dealers are not everywhere like for Deere or other brands along those lines. If you have an issue with the machine you might need dealer support.

/ Never owned a tractor #18  
Sorry, my reply wasn't to your post about priorities....my fault that it wasn't clear. For some weird reason a few folks here rarely offer advice, or try to help answer questions, but post in seemingly every thread.

They sure do don't they. Some also seem to know everything about everything, real know it all's. Makes you wonder if they are just an "internet expert" that lives in their mom's basement.

/ Never owned a tractor

The Ford 3000 series, or 2000 series of the same vintage, are certainly worth looking at....lots still out there, and good parts support. A very popular competitor from the same timeframe would be a Massey 135, or slightly newer models like the 230/235/231.

No worries, ill check into those models as well. Its just hard finding something that is slow in that first gear!! I figure, and correct me if im wrong, that I may be able to cope with 1.5mph or under as far as tilling goes.

/ Never owned a tractor
Keeping the costs under 4500 I think is going to be pretty hard. I am reading between the lines here and get the idea from you saying that you are new at this, that you are also not very experienced at turning wrenches. If that is correct I think that you really are going to need to re-look at things. I also think that for a learning curve a HST tractor is a little less steep. There are lots of little adjustments you have to make for that tiller to do its job the best, that plow to do what it needs to do....move the top link in or out and it will make what happens behind you very different....it could make you not move at all. Toss that on top of a gear tractor, that is just one more thing to keep on top of. Now I also think with your price point you are going to be looking at a machine that is going to need a little TLC...if that price includes a tiller and a plow....you have your work cut out for you. I really think you need to be looking at the best possible machine, and might even save up. As to the Kioti I would make sure you have good dealer support. Right now I think I would be safe calling that machine an up and comer.....Dealers are not everywhere like for Deere or other brands along those lines. If you have an issue with the machine you might need dealer support.

Im experienced with turning wrenches just not on tractors. I really enjoy doing preventative maintenance and repairs. Im just trying to find something that has a slow first gear for tilling and hopefully something with decent access to parts so that I can repair if ever the need arises.