NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #11  
Mine smokes something awful when its cold for about 10 seconds or so. I noticed the glow plug cycle isnt much over 10 seconds either. myself GEB and others have kicked this subkeject around quite a bit.

DKvince in my opinion is right on target here with his comment.

My GM diesel will puff on start, however my trucks computer continues to cycle the glow plugs after the truck starts..making it run nicey nice.

So what is one to do?? I'm installing a manual glow plug button. That way I can maually glow the plugs longer and give them a shot also once she fires up, thus eliminating smokey coughing starts when its chilly out.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #12  
Is it white or blue smoke?

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #13  
My smoke is white...unquestionably unburned fuel.

The glow sytem timers on these rigs are somewhat inadequate for cold starts.

ram

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #14  
Well I might as well chime in again /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Some of these Tractors smoke well beyound normal!!
I had a 3820 that smoked so bad I was embarsed to start it,
it also limped & chuged along for a few minutes until it
would catch up with it's self.
Yes some white smoke is normal,
IT'S ALSO NORMAL TO NOT SMOKE AT ALL..........
maybe just a slight puff on a cold or hot start..
Anyway after the dealer wrenched on mine with poor results
I ended up with a 4020 that still somkes well be yound normal.
The 4020 is not near as bad as the 3820 but still not good!
I would even cycle my plugs 3 times with no luck!
I usally cycle my 4020 twice now and it still agervates me on a cold start.
If you really think it smokes beyound normal, I would go check
a few other brands..dealers...and see how the others fire up
on a cold start.
Yours and the rest should be near the same, as in close!
I have seen a Branson tractor that had not been fired up
in 2 weeks fire right up with just a small puff.
This was a new tractor and the dealer didnt even wait on
the timer to time out...go figure?
BTW I've been driveing diesel PU's for years, I also live
in rual farm country, lots of tractors big and small.
I may have a good ideal what a normal diesel start-up is?
Years ago older tractors did and still do a smoke show.
Our new modern tractors should start with just a slight puff,
or up to about 5 sec max would be normal to me........
But I was wrong once before /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Gene

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #15  
Holy chit!
I have a 4720, unlike the 4020 that I posted above /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Gene

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP
Thanks to all; It seems that Branson dealers are a special breed, and I would like to say thanks to Mr. Wallace, from almost one end of the U.S. to the other; Pa. to G'ville, Fl. , support if needed. Thats pretty darn good.

I know that Scott Lazenby and his guys will handle any problems, but it is a good feeling to know we have this type of support!!!!

Matt over at Lazenby Equipment suggested that I wait until my fifty hour service, and I must admit that I also called Branson service manager, he also said to wait until the fifty Hour service.

Glow plug stays on 13 to 15 seconds, have tried cylcing twice, also quick start, no wait.

As was advised, I think I have a weak glow plug; will also try three times, thanks Mr.W.

Again thanks to all, tnaz

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #17  
My best guess is that you have fuel entering the engine after shut off. Either an injector leak or pump to injector leak(s). Glow plug issues should make it crankie but smoke on start up with a new engine sounds like a fuel issue.
You could try starting it, run until smoke stops, minute or two, shut it off and restart to see if it smokes again. My 2 cents.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #18  
I disagree.....I feel if the glow plug timer does not cycle long enough or the plugs are weak..you will get white smoke until the combustion chamber heats up.

Mine runs great for 2-3 seconds...chokes for 10 then evens out (I'm talking cold starts)

My take on that is the combustion chamber is warmed by the plugs just enough to fire it off (no smoke), then cools due to the cooling effect of entry of fuel (now it smokes), an dthen warms again with continued combustion.(smoke dissapears) .

Not leaky injector syndrome...this is a temperature dependant situation only. If it sits for a week in the summer, this is not an issue /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #19  
StimW

Also ..I wanted to add

Of course run it for a few minutes, then shut it down and restart it see if it smokes....we both know it wont...combustion chamber is nice and toasty!

always a pleasure /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #20  
I just purchased a 4020 and it doesn't smoke at all on startup, my 2810 smoked a little dark smoke but this was normal. My 4020 is quiter and easier to start than my 2810 was.