NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #21  
Its probably warm down your end part of the country right now...keep an eye on it.

This is only an issue for me on 30-40 degree starts.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP
O.K. , Let tractor sit four days, turn key on glow plug light went off, I started motor and it smoked for several seconds.

Let tractor sit for two days, cycled glow plug three times and just a very small puff of white smoke. will try again tomorrow.

My conclusion; need hotter glow plugs, or longer timer. My timer is close to 14 seconds.

Question, will it hurt to cycle glow plugs that much?

Here in Fl. I don't think cold temp is a factor. I think two winners, Y'all know who you are.

Thanks tnaz

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #23  
I might add my 4720 has been starting just fine now that
it has warmed up outside.60-80 degrees
Very small amount of smoke which I would call normal
for even 30-60 degrees
Gene

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #24  
If you think you got injection turds you could try running the diesel on Lubromolly diesel purge- prolly available from your finer import car repair shops. You can remove fuel hose from lift pump and run the engine on that stuff till it sucks it all up, then re attach fuel hose to pump---I havent seen your engine to know where/ if lift pump is at. Just generic advice.

Tractor starts fine and runs fine, it just smokes at first startup of the day, white smoke. Also went back several months and found this same topic had already been discussed.

Hey TractorLegend, what is injection turds?

thanks again to all, tnaz

Just started tractor, very little smoke; tractor not started for serveral days, close to two weeks. Still very happy with tractor.

After more than 11.5 whopping hours; very happy!!!!

Any one looking to buy a new 38 H.P. or close tractor, fill free to come by and have a ride.

I rode John, New, Kabo, Kio, Mah, and Branson; would still pick Branson!!!!!

tnaz

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #28  
Just passing a small farm in Morriston, Florida on Sunday evening there was a 3820 - 2005 with FEL and pallet forks for sale, having just the day before sold my JD 4710. Monday I owned my first Branson 3820, what a great mid size tractor, a little white smoke at start up but quickly runs clean. As a new member could someone suggest a good medium cutter for 13 acres of North Georgia (Tunnel Hill) grass and about 3 acres of brush to clear away?
Thanks to all for a great site and your posts helped me into the Branson....!

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #29  
I have a Branson 2910i and it smoked alot; I'm talking if it was inside you needed to leave tractor running and exit the building till it ran 2 or 3 minutes. The tractor has roughly 550 hours. I replaced the injectors with genuine Cummins injectors(Part #4900354). This cleared up alot of the white smoke acually have been getting some black smoke on startup. This is what I would expect on start up. Had the old ones tested and 2 of them had very poor spray patterns and leaked; that explains a lot of the white smoke. This is about $150 fix for the injectors plus labor. Ordered injectors from a Cummins dealer and it took about 3 weeks to get them but I believe this was a very good fix for all the smoke. The Branson 2910i are the same engine as the Cummins A1400 and the A1700.

/ NEW 3820 SMOKES AT START UP #30  
ONE of the BIG differences between these diesels and whatever truck engines folk are used to is their SIZE !

The thing that doesn't scale is the cylinder volume:area ratio i.e. there is MORE cylinder wall, cylinder head and piston AREA per unit of cylinder VOLUME.
This is PART of the reason that glow plugs are more important in small cylinders than in large ones, the cold metal absorbs the heat of compression so much easier than in larger cylinders.

Last edited: