New 500i

/ New 500i #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Been wanting one for over a month.
After the big storm clean up job and dropping & bucking nearly 80 large trees, I knew my 261C was at its limits. It did a great job, but once I knew my Makita/Dolmar 6401 was toast, I knew something bigger than the 261C was in order.
We will be returning to the storm cleanup once again in November. Many stumps to cut lower and lots of logs to cut to log truck lengths. Now I have a serious weapon.

Did my homework for a few weeks.….nearly bought an Echo 7310. My Echo dealer had a 15% off promotion weekend. It was substantially cheaper, but it just didnt have the feel of the 500i. It’s also a pound heavier.

My Stihl dealer gave me 10% off and I went with the 28”. He threw in a can of motomix. I can’t wait to put it to work in the coming weeks.

1697408407149.jpeg

Here it is next to the 261C and 20” bar.

1697409005521.jpeg

Really wanted the lightweight bar, but none in stock and another $150. I already was more than I wanted to spend, so the Rollmatic ES was my only choice.
It’s wild how the 500i has no choke to mess with (fuel injected!). Just a primer bulb, decomp button and a “stop” button.
You just prime & pull.
It sounds like a dirt bike.

/ New 500i #2  
My 372xp holds it’s own but my 500I is my favorite saw. The 500 won’t flood out which is nice, no levers to mess with is nice when you’re stopping and starting the saw 100 times, the captive bar nuts are great. The 500 runs cleaner than all my other saws. People can think chainsaw emissions are a joke but I don’t stink half as bad after using the 500 over other saws. And it’s a lot of power in a lightweight package.

/ New 500i #3  
79cc's of RAW power ! Now that's a Man's saw !

/ New 500i #4  
That's heck of saw. (y)

/ New 500i
I’m not crazy about spending that kind of coin (I can remember when a large pro saw was $699), but it seems like inflation on equipment has no limit.

I found a lightly used one on FB, but he wanted $1,150 and it was only a 25” bar Plus a 3 hour round trip. $300 more and I got a new saw.

/ New 500i #6  
That 500i is no joke ! Tree guy in town almost lost an arm with one ! He was running a short bar cutting small trees and he thinks as he reached for the next tree the one he had just cut see sawed over a big rock and caught the saw driving it into his left arm as his right hand grabbed the handle and throttle. Guy with many years experience, never thought he'd get bitten.

/ New 500i #8  
While I would really like one, I have a old 066 that is a joy to use when I need a bigger saw.

/ New 500i #9  
Been wanting one for over a month.
After the big storm clean up job and dropping & bucking nearly 80 large trees, I knew my 261C was at its limits. It did a great job, but once I knew my Makita/Dolmar 6401 was toast, I knew something bigger than the 261C was in order.
We will be returning to the storm cleanup once again in November. Many stumps to cut lower and lots of logs to cut to log truck lengths. Now I have a serious weapon.

Did my homework for a few weeks.….nearly bought an Echo 7310. My Echo dealer had a 15% off promotion weekend. It was substantially cheaper, but it just didnt have the feel of the 500i. It’s also a pound heavier.

My Stihl dealer gave me 10% off and I went with the 28”. He threw in a can of motomix. I can’t wait to put it to work in the coming weeks.

View attachment 827103

Here it is next to the 261C and 20” bar.

View attachment 827106

Really wanted the lightweight bar, but none in stock and another $150. I already was more than I wanted to spend, so the Rollmatic ES was my only choice.
It’s wild how the 500i has no choke to mess with (fuel injected!). Just a primer bulb, decomp button and a “stop” button.
You just prime & pull.
It sounds like a dirt bike.
Go longer on the bar and full comp chain these saws really thrive with a lot of aggressive cutters. If you do stay with the short bar make sure it’s running a 8 pin sprocket otherwise you’ll be 4 stroking in the cut more then likely. There’s a few things to watch for on them like the air filter isn’t the best sealing thing in the world and the springs are soft but otherwise they’re a runner from day one.

/ New 500i #10  
That is a nice saw.

I have been thinking of breaking my idealistic view of saws, and buying one.

I have spent the last few years precuring all the good old saws that are not computer fuel controlled. When I'm cutting at my cabin, I want to just tune and fix via a small screwdriver. However, it's amazing how expensive new saws have made old saws. There has been a rush to get all the old good stuff before everything is beat up. I just paid more for a once fueled MS361 than I did 12 years ago brand new.

You did good.