New 500i

/ New 500i #21  
When we first move onto the property I had a monster Stihl about that size. I think it had a 24 or 26 inch bar. It made felling our ancient pines go quickly.

We burned wood for the first ten years. Then we went to wood pellets. I wasn't really too sad to sell that big saw. I had no use for it anymore and I was glad to let somebody else handle the beast.

/ New 500i #23  
There is just something about the sound and visuals of a good chainsaw with a sharp chain digging in to a log.
Sharp chain is critical no matter what saw. I finally pulled the trigger on a lower end Oregon grinder. 420 something. I am so impressed with it

/ New 500i #24  
There is just something about the sound and visuals of a good chainsaw with a sharp chain digging in to a log.
One of my saws is a finely tuned 361 with muff mod. I smile every time I use it.

/ New 500i
Sharp chain is critical no matter what saw. I finally pulled the trigger on a lower end Oregon grinder. 420 something. I am so impressed with it
I’d like to see that. Can you post some pictures?

/ New 500i #26  
I’d like to see that. Can you post some pictures?

I’ve been using an Oregon grinder with good results since 2018. I also put a CBN wheel on it the day I got it. I never gave the pink wheel a fair trial so I won’t judge it but I’ve never had to dress the CBN wheel since I got it or adjust for diameter loss so it’s well worth $100 IMO. One issue I did have with the CBN wheel that wasn’t actually its fault was the grinder arbor was slightly out of true. I verified this to be true with a dial indicator apposed to the wheel being bent. This would have been a non issue with a pink wheel because it would have quickly dressed to run true. I probably should have sent the grinder back but for one I was impatient and I figured my next one might not be any different. I ended up using brass shim stock to shim the wheel against the arbor until it ran true. People are quick to trash on a grinder for ruining chains but that’s either the result of a bad operator or grinding a chain that was already ruined from damage. If you know what you’re doing and you’re sharpening a chain that doesn’t need profile correction you can set the grinder to only take off the bare minimum required amount of metal.

/ New 500i #27  
Man I really wish I had a reason to buy a 500i, I look at them at the dealer all the time. My 261 is still enough to do everything I need right now though. Sweet saw!

/ New 500i
Man I really wish I had a reason to buy a 500i, I look at them at the dealer all the time. My 261 is still enough to do everything I need right now though. Sweet saw!
It is a nice saw! I use it all the time. My light, easy “go to”

/ New 500i #29  
I have had my 500i for about a year now...felled hundreds of trees with it..limbed and bucked. I run a 25 and 32 inch light bar...I am at 9000 ft and it still screams. Very happy with this saw. I also have a Stihl 362 and 241 which are m-tronic...but just no comparison at altitude to the 500i.
I also have a Echo 355t with standard Idle/L/H carb and I have it dialed in as well (muff mod, etc). 500i with 25" bar still my favorite to run.

/ New 500i #30  

I use the Stihl guided sharpeners that also do the rakers. Very easy to use and great results...can also be used in the field.