New Attachment

/ New Attachment #31  
Guess I better get the tractor first though....

I'm thinking about getting one for the farm to pull out the palms but I'm afraid ill tear up the root ball....
Magnus, you still haven't gotten the tractor... What's up...

/ New Attachment #32  
Well, as luck would have it, the weather was nasty this morning. I did go unload my new stump bucket, and could not resist the urge to just dig something up. I was so wet everywhere it was ridiculous. I dig manage to dig up a few small trees, and a few small stumps. I think its going to work out fine. Can't wait to really try it out when it dries up a bit.
Here are a couple quick pics. The small saplings only take one stab, and pop right out!
That looks like a backhoe on a FEL. With exception of having a swing side to side, I bet it works just as well as a backhoe for removing trees. Only con would be being able to get your tractor in position which would be easier with a backhoe, but about $7000 more expensive. While it is wet is the best time to dig out trees, they come out so much easier.

/ New Attachment
First thing I did after unloading was to head back into the field to try and puck about a 6" oak out. Stabbed it in and lifted, and noticed my front wheels sinking into the soft ground. Figured it was time to back out of there, and leave that one for another day!

/ New Attachment #34  
Oaks have a large root ball. Best to stab it from all sides working your way around the base till you have stabbed thru all the roots then on your final stab, try to lift it. Get as close to the trunk as the beast will cut thru the roots to avoid having such a large amount of mud and roots. A pressure washer is best for removing that mud /dirt from the root ball if you plan to burn it.

/ New Attachment #35  
I have been interested in a stump bucket. Look forward to you review / videos. Looks like you have sandy soil compared to our red clay. It is amazing how well a tree will root into the clay.

/ New Attachment #36  
IMG_1156.JPGIMG_1154.jpgAmazing how they root into anything. Recently I hooked a rather large pine tree with the back of my disc and pulled it down rather easily. This was a tree over 12" in diameter and 40+ feet tall. When it snapped over, it left about 1/4th of the tree trunk sticking up about 2 feet so I was going to dig it up with the backhoe. This is what I found under the stump. The tree was about the same size as the one in the second photo in the foreground.