New Dairy

/ New Dairy #62  
In another thread we mentioned methane digester systems that a dairy farm in Loganton pa has. They generate electricity through it. It might be a though for your farm also, to save on utilities, plus you would be generating your own gas.
FarmingMagazine.com - Save Money, Save the Planet
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/manure/energy/digester.pdf
(this one is for swine)
Schrack Family Farm Project | NativeEnergy
The Schrack family's anaerobic digester is capturing methane gas from cow manure. It is producing electricity with a 200 kW generator while recovering the waste heat to both heat the digester and reduce the use of oil-fired water heating required on the farm.

/ New Dairy
Pretty exciting to see the rainbow trout added to the pond.... It is a great break from reality to wander down to the pond to watch then splash around....

/ New Dairy
As of yesterday the roofers finished all the shingle work. The total was 265 square.....

Attachments

• image-3442523504.png
    image-3442523504.png
    713.2 KB · Views: 355
  • image-2334274158.png
    image-2334274158.png
    831.9 KB · Views: 377
   / New Dairy #65  
As of yesterday the roofers finished all the shingle work. The total was 265 square.....

Wow!. . . 26,500 square ft of roof area. I'd bet you have some happy roofers to have that job finished before the hot summer hits.:thumbsup:

BTW: In the one photo, it looks like you are starting a fence with bark-on cedar posts. Are you buying them or cutting them from your own property?

/ New Dairy #66  
Interesting thread. Very impressive structure and interesting story behind the whole concept.
I keep thinking how profitable the business must be to afford this expansion. Sounds like you are living the American dream. Just hoping that the American dream is able to survive our current situation in Washington.

/ New Dairy
jinman said:
Wow!. . . 26,500 square ft of roof area. I'd bet you have some happy roofers to have that job finished before the hot summer hits.:thumbsup:

BTW: In the one photo, it looks like you are starting a fence with bark-on cedar posts. Are you buying them or cutting them from your own property?

We are buying them from a fellow in Northern Maine. I believe my younger brother bought 500 of them to enclose the cow/horse pasture.... He has been busy pounding them in!

/ New Dairy
Interesting thread. Very impressive structure and interesting story behind the whole concept.
I keep thinking how profitable the business must be to afford this expansion. Sounds like you are living the American dream. Just hoping that the American dream is able to survive our current situation in Washington.

The only way that I was able to build such a high quality building was to do the engineering, permitting, town approvals and play the general contractor myself.

We have survived 35 years with zero support from the state and federal government and they went so far as to say that I would not be successful constructing the building using the materials I selected...

/ New Dairy
Here is another view of the roof and a picture of the new residents of the pond... look close in the middle on the left hand side...

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 299
  • fishy.JPG
    fishy.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 337
   / New Dairy
Here are the hardie shingles going on and the first of four silos that are due to arrive.

Attachments

• hardie.jpg
    hardie.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 243
  • silo.jpg
    silo.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 255