New Dairy

/ New Dairy #71  
PW. Been following this thread. You don't play!!!!
Looks great!

/ New Dairy #72  
You don't play!!!!
Looks great!

Yeah, everytime I get cocky about my projects, I just come to this thread and get humbled. What a great piece of work. It makes me want to travel to Maine just so I can be one of his customers.:thumbsup:

/ New Dairy #73  
Had to go over to NH today. Passed by the barn on the way home. Your pictures are a little decieving. It's a whole lot bigger in person and I didn't realize how close to the road it was. Had to get home had someone comming over other wise I would have stopped in to gawk.

/ New Dairy
Anyone is more than welcome to stop by.... The main part of the building is 80' wide x 200' long. The peak of the roof is 45' up and it will be wide open inside. And to think during the first design phase it was about 100' closer to the road... As of this morning I have decided to extend the open shed roof another 12' and will be enclosing the area. It will allow me to remove all of my utility equipment from the main building and place it out there.

/ New Dairy #75  
Anyone is more than welcome to stop by.... The main part of the building is 80' wide x 200' long. The peak of the roof is 45' up and it will be wide open inside. And to think during the first design phase it was about 100' closer to the road... As of this morning I have decided to extend the open shed roof another 12' and will be enclosing the area. It will allow me to remove all of my utility equipment from the main building and place it out there.

Wow to think that with the main part of the building you have a third of an acre under roof. I am sure that this will really allow you to expand your operations. Will you have a retail operation in this new facility. With things moving along for you when do you think that you will be operating out of your new building? This is a beautiful building.

/ New Dairy
Wow to think that with the main part of the building you have a third of an acre under roof. I am sure that this will really allow you to expand your operations. Will you have a retail operation in this new facility. With things moving along for you when do you think that you will be operating out of your new building? This is a beautiful building.

The big thing is that the new building will allow us to do is to bring everything back under one roof.

Originally, we had planned to have a retail storefront in the manufacturing building. After more thought, we have decided that once the manufacturing facility is complete, we will build another smaller building to house the retail store and offices. In regards to contamination, we were not comfortable letting visitors near the production area without us making prior arrangements. Little things such as perfumes, colognes and deodorants can ruin a batch of butter because it absorbs odors like a sponge.

The goal is to be up and running this coming fall. The major pieces of equipment have been purchased so we can get the new facility up and running without shutting the existing one down. I have never been part of a flawless start-up and I do not expect this to be any different. But, I am optimistic that with the new controls system I have designed (new panels, new processors, new HMI's, etc) things should be a little smoother.

/ New Dairy
The first gable end is complete....

Attachments

• 538087_449166668428448_1890313514_n.jpg
    538087_449166668428448_1890313514_n.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 231
   / New Dairy #78  
As I mentioned, it is truly a family business and it is important that we all have a voice. My younger brother, a phenomenal dairy scientist, spent two years in Europe running an Austrian Alpine farm where he learned the art of making cheese. Somehow, we were able to lure him back here to help with the business under one condition.... When we built the new facility he wanted to import a herd of Normande Cattle from Europe. So that is where the cattle come in....

Where in Austria was your brother honing his craft?

The reason I ask is I come from a long line for Austrian Dairy Farmers... several of my cousins make cheese that is sold to the 5 star restaurants in the area...

I'm thinking is must have been hard for him to come back... I know it is for me.

/ New Dairy
I am sure i am not spelling it correctly but Gogles Alm in Tyrol rings a bell..... It was funny because he started making butter while he was there and he had to set a five pound purchase limit because he would have everything sold after only a few customers....

I know he misses it but for a young guy, the life he building back here is nice too....

/ New Dairy #80  
I am sure i am not spelling it correctly but Gogles Alm in Tyrol rings a bell..... It was funny because he started making butter while he was there and he had to set a five pound purchase limit because he would have everything sold after only a few customers....

I know he misses it but for a young guy, the life he building back here is nice too....

Often thought I could be quite happy in Austria living on a little farm in the Alps... have great memories there working with my Grandfather on the family dairy farm...

I was fortunate in that they were really old school and did things, for the most part as they had been done for hundreds of years...

Still remember when some of my friends from California stayed a week for a visit... it was culture shock to say the least.

They couldn't get over my Grandparents didn't have a garbage can... they really had nothing to throw away... they produced most of what they needed... smoked the meats, made cream, put up the preserves, heated with wood... etc.

My Grandmother loved peaches and one year they didn't do so well... I bought a case of Del Monte peaches which she enjoyed... but, no one told me they didn't own a can opener... Oh... the empty peach cans quickly found a home in the workshop for nuts and bolts...

It really was a good, simple and honest life... seemed like everyone around there lived to be in their 90's and doctors, pills and meds were to be avoided at all cost for the most part...

The biggest compliment I ever received was the one I got from my Grandparents... they were very proud that I still knew how to work even after going to the University...

I'm surprised you brother didn't come back a nice Austrian country girl...

Great project your family has going there... enjoy reading the updates!