New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #11  
Your bio says Northern NV/CA. If you live in NV and don't have to worry about CA emissions you can get some deals. Last year another leg of CA's "zero diesels" by 2030, or whatever the stupid law was, kicked in. Alot of people in CA have rigs they can't renew the registration on. Believe it was 10k-25k weight class for 1998-2007 model years. I picked up a 2000 F450 with a 12' flatbed for $4500 with 238k on it from a guy down in CA who couldn't renew his registration. Needed a new serpentine belt and water pump was on it's way out but was still a good buy.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?
How often are you towing?
I am usually towing something. Either a dump trailer filled with topsoil or gravel, or an equipment trailer with a tractor sometimes or other things.

I really like the diesel for torque and engine brake. There are very long downhill stretches coming down Donner Summit, miles and miles in length, and I never have to touch the brake. Just engage the engine brake and it holds a pretty constant speed.

I've thought of a smaller vehicle to keep the miles off the existing truck. But even if not towing, I seem to have the bed mostly full so a small vehicle won't work.

Bottom line is I am questioning how long I can still get a diesel truck as we know them today. And although I have not price shopped yet, I hear $100,000 for a new truck quite a lot.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #13  
My view from around NTX/OK. Lots are filling up, rebates are growing. Yes they list them with limitations/disclosures, etc. but that means they are not moving trucks like they were so you, the buyer, have more leverage and can negotiate easier.

I think there will be even bigger rebates by July if you can wait.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #15  
This was December,

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #16  
Go on line and check the inventory at Humboldt Ford in Winnemucca. Plenty of new diesel trucks for less than $100,000.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #17  
No way I buy a new truck. I put up a thread a while back regarding that same question. So I bought a disposable vehicle to keep miles off my truck so I never have to sell it. The issue with new trucks is that they are ridiculously complicated and maintenance and replacement parts are outrageously expensive.
It certainly is becoming more difficult, and that is exactly the plan. The tougher ICE vehicles are to own, the more people switch to other modes of propulsion/transportation.

I do all my own work. Pretty much impossible on newer vehicles. Manufacturers believe we need 1200Ft/lbs and 800hp in a truck. But it is surgery to change the oil or trans fluid or simple required maintenance. I would love a new truck that has 700ft/lbs and was easy to maintain.

Well said. I can tow 38,000lbs with my stock “standard output” Ram/Cummins on a weekly basis, but these clowns can’t resist increasing the numbers to above a tractor trailer’s HP.

At least Ram gives you a choice of standard or high output if you have to have the most.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #18  
I am usually towing something. Either a dump trailer filled with topsoil or gravel, or an equipment trailer with a tractor sometimes or other things.

I really like the diesel for torque and engine brake. There are very long downhill stretches coming down Donner Summit, miles and miles in length, and I never have to touch the brake. Just engage the engine brake and it holds a pretty constant speed.

I've thought of a smaller vehicle to keep the miles off the existing truck. But even if not towing, I seem to have the bed mostly full so a small vehicle won't work.

Bottom line is I am questioning how long I can still get a diesel truck as we know them today. And although I have not price shopped yet, I hear $100,000 for a new truck quite a lot.

Maybe if you can wait, that will help you with prices, even paying cash, you might do better.
There could be fire sales on ICE vehicles as other states “fall in line” with the end of ICE vehicle insanity. Other states will surely follow.

I am going to TRY to run my 2020 Ram until about 2028. By then, I think we will know if they have driven ICE over the cliff, or returned to sanity.

Last edited:
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #19  
I don’t think they are going to do away with trucks you would be looking at in the next couple of years. Would they keep you from driving one in California? That’s nearly impossible to predict. When it comes down to it you need to ignore the politics, the prices because that’s impossible to predict, the real question is do you need one now. If you do now is the time to buy.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #20  
The whole ev/hybrid thing is not aimed at your truck. It's aimed at commuter vehicles. I don't see 3/4 ton trucks being replaced even remotely soon. Unless you live in CA, they've absolutely taken leave of their senses. Watch out for diesels that are CA compliant, their emissions stuff is a bit on the silly side.
More than one state aiming at commuter cars vs pu. Md is trying to outpace Ca I think. They’re looking at decreasing registration costs on small cars and bumping up suv and pu’s. Not even remotely fair or equal. Not a huge surprise that it’s a Baltimore bicycle commuter proposing it (scary big trucks?).