Loader New Grapple Build! Let me know what you think

/ New Grapple Build! Let me know what you think #61  
I would really like to know what the final cost will be when complete and operating. I know there is a lot of pride in building something yourself and I have done the same on different things. How much is a new one installed? In comparison to the material and the time spent building it. Still it looks good and you should be proud.

/ New Grapple Build! Let me know what you think #62  
I think you'll want one more support centered in the lid to support between the cylinder and the center of the "jaw".

/ New Grapple Build! Let me know what you think #63  
Just wondering why you lowered the mount for the base of the cylinder?

First design:

grapple back.JPG

Now, reduced clamping force:

grapple2.JPG

/ New Grapple Build! Let me know what you think
I think you'll want one more support centered in the lid to support between the cylinder and the center of the "jaw".

I have added more support. I am not sure I like the looks if it, but I think it is strong enough.
Still deciding if I am going to change the clam supports, but I am running out of material :)

grapple.JPG

I would really like to know what the final cost will be when complete and operating. I know there is a lot of pride in building something yourself and I have done the same on different things. How much is a new one installed? In comparison to the material and the time spent building it. Still it looks good and you should be proud.

I am proud of it - trying to decide if I want to change the looks of the clam supports.
So far the costs have been as listed below.

All Steel (3/8" plate and schedule 40 pipe) $263.00
Third Function kit $448.99
Cylinder $122.77
Total so far $807.76
I will still need to buy some hoses and fitting about $100.00
So I am thinking around $900.00 for total build - minus the $263.00 for steel I didn't have to pay for.
So i am all in at around $637.00
Not bad considering a decent grapple will cost around $1800 plus shipping without third function mine is in comparison, $122.77
Well worth the effort.

Here are some pictures of the build in progress.
IMG_0657.JPGIMG_0658.JPGIMG_0659.JPGIMG_0660.JPGIMG_0661.JPGIMG_0662.JPG

And some more:
IMG_0663.JPGIMG_0664.JPGIMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPGIMG_0667.JPGIMG_0668.JPG

And still more:
IMG_0671.JPGIMG_0670.JPGIMG_0669.JPGIMG_0672.JPGIMG_0673.JPGIMG_0675.JPGIMG_0676.JPGIMG_0677.JPG

/ New Grapple Build! Let me know what you think #70  
I need some help with the bushing and shafts.
Does anyone have a line on getting those near Houston?
Found the cylinder at Suplus Center.
I am trying to decide between WR Long and Construction Attachments "one touch" kit.
Or just build my own from scratch (with a little help from my friends here on TBN :thumbsup:)
So any suggestions would be nice.
Thanks
Steve

I wouldn't worry at all about bushings. My grapple is twelve years old and has no grease-able pins. The jaw pivots on 3/4" bolts. No grease ever. The threads at the contact points are worn off but it appears that the bolts will need replacing in about fifty years.

Regarding hydraulic controls, I'm a fan of just using rear remotes. I have used diverter valves and rear remotes and I prefer the much cheaper and simpler rear remotes.