Tractor Sizing New guy needs help sizing a tractor please

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please #21  
I'd be more inclined to go with a 25 to 35 hp tractor. 40 or more seems a bit of overkill for 20 acres, unless you're doing a lot of rock moving which might be more efficiently done with an excavator.

You might consider putting in a solar powered atmospheric water distiller to irrigate your garden with, or provide water for your home as the drought in Texas really sucks, as I'm sure you already know.

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please
A subframe for a backhoe is heavy duty metal pieces bolted on to the frame of the tractor, and the backhoe fastens onto the rigid subframe not carried on the 3 point hitch of the tractor.
Oh, I guessed I thought all backhoes would be connected to the frame somehow with some brackets. Are you suggesting that there are backhoes that don't connect to the frame, that would just hang out there willie nillie like a shredder or box blade would? If so, that seems like a really bad idea

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please #23  
Oh, I guessed I thought all backhoes would be connected to the frame somehow with some brackets. Are you suggesting that there are backhoes that don't connect to the frame, that would just hang out there willie nillie like a shredder or box blade would? If so, that seems like a really bad idea

Yes, and Yes you are correct.

James K0UA

Now on to the next question, it seems to me that a tractor being 4 wheel drive is a no brainer, you're moving and pushing really heavy stuff around, seems like you would want all 4 wheels engaged . However, as I'm looking around it appears you can save good money by going 2 wheel drive. What is the consensus on this, they are making two-wheel drive tractors, so I guess people are buying them? Maybe I'm starting to over-think things, do I need 4 wheel drive?

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please #25  
Now on to the next question, it seems to me that a tractor being 4 wheel drive is a no brainer, you're moving and pushing really heavy stuff around, seems like you would want all 4 wheels engaged . However, as I'm looking around it appears you can save good money by going 2 wheel drive. What is the consensus on this, they are making two-wheel drive tractors, so I guess people are buying them? Maybe I'm starting to over-think things, do I need 4 wheel drive?

You need a 4 wheel drive tractor. Farmer wanting a flat ground haying tractor, maybe different story.. YOU want a 4 wheel drive tractor, as you said yourself.. no brainer.

James K0UA

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please #26  
Go with 4wd, you will need it. Someone brought up a good point about HP. You do not need a lot of HP for 20 acres however you included some tasks that would definitely make the job easier and quicker with the extra HP in a 40-50hp tractor. One has to trade-off on price vs time to some extent as I know my new 50hp tractor is lot faster with the BH work than my previous 20hp and same goes for any loader work (bigger FEL means less passes). Out of the close dealers you mentioned, it seems like you have Kubota, MF, Mahindra and Deere (50 miles away). I consider the latter to be the furthest I would go unless you can obtain a really good deal on a unit somewhere further out. When/if you look at Kubota, take a look at their website as you can price out a tractor there (retail $) and you will notice that there is the B, BX, L, Grand L and then M. The Grand L models come with all the extras whereas the L's tend to be a 'basic' tractor. The cost I believe for a Grand L of similar HP is around $4k compared to an L. So if you compare a L4400 to a L4240 you will see the price difference but the L4240 comes with a different transmission (HST+), thicker frame (heavier), larger hydro pump, etc. Same goes for if you look at the MX4700/5100 vs the L4740 or L5040. Kioti if you had a dealer near you has something similar I believe in their DS and DK lines if I have them correct. Not sure about MF, Mahindra or Deere.

I personally bought a Kubota MX5100 (basic tractor) because it was all I needed. I did not 'need' what the Grand L brings to the game plus I wanted more HP for the price. For you, the bells & whistles may be what you are looking for so the Grand L may be better suited for you.

Bottom line. Shopping for a tractor takes some time as you don't want to get it wrong. Considering this is your first tractor, you likely will not know about all things tractor but in time you will. One word of warning though, the guys on here will help you spend money, and more money and more money...:D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback...just ran across something and am needing some opinions and advice on this. I found a small dealer fairly close by that has only been open since 2007. His tractors look brand new, but apparently they are reconditioned Yanmar tractors. They claim they recondition absolutely everything on the tractor and it comes with a warranty and dealer support. If they hadn't said they were reconditioned I would have thought they were brand new, that's how good these things look. They have a 52HP Yanmar 4300 with Loader for under $14K. Two questions, what's the general consensus on reconditioned Japanese tractors, should I avoid these things like the plague? He is selling it like it is the next big thing in tractors. And two, are these dealers usually more scam than anything else. It also looks like they have all the implements I would need and he said he would make me a deal on those as well( the implements are brand new). Here is their website...Fayette Tractors & Equipment in Schulenburg, TX. 979-743-5148

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please #28  
walk away from the yenmars.if theyve been gone through as the dealer said then they will have probs.an heres the main thing youll have trouble getting parts for them.

/ New guy needs help sizing a tractor please #29  
YANMAR | Gray Market Notice
If you can confirm that the japanese market yanmar is sold and supported here by yanmar USA dealers, it might be worth considering, but you would have to do alot of research first.
As for distance to a dealer, its up to you. If you can diagnose and fix minor stuff and the dealer is willing to work with you, a longer distance might be fine. I'm a tractor newbie so I want to be within an hour or less, just to keep a float fee reasonable.
Really as long as you get the right size and type of tractor at a good dealer, the colour isn't that important. You can save a few bucks with some brands but you can save by shopping for used implements, eventually deals pop up if you leave yourself some time.

Thanks Indy for the link to the gray market info, makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's why the guy kept talking about it being 100% safe, seemed to emphasize that...he was probably assuming I knew what a gray market tractor was.

What is a float fee?