New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #1  

cedar21

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 30
I have a New Holland TC 30 that is leaking oil from the PTO shaft. Trying to remove the shaft to replace the seal. Has anyone had trouble getting the shaft out of the housing? I watched a You Tube video on it, and it came right out in the video, but mine is not so easy. Posting a couple of photos of it.

20180813_124746.jpg20180813_124738.jpg

Thank you.

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #2  
There's a bit more to removing that shaft than just those four bolts. Just pop the cover off and leave the shaft place. The seal should be exposed on the inside of the cover.

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal
I have tried to pop the cover off, but have not been able to get it to move. I have tried tapping on it with a hammer, using a block of wood between the hammer and the cover, and tried using a scxrewdriver to pry it off, but it does not move.

It would seem that it should pop off without much trouble. I just want to be sure that it is not going to damage something if I hammer or pry on it with more force.

OK, got the cover off.

I think I am also going to have to replace the bearing. What happened is that I was running a sickle bar mower and the cover for the pto shaft going back to the mower was not secured, and a bunch of grass got balled up and put pressure on the seal. The shaft is not turning as freely (when the pto is disengaged) as it did before this happened. I am worried that pieces of grass may have worked their way through the seal and into the bearing.

In the YouTube video I watched, it showed the pto shaft being able to be pulled out fairly easily. It also said that the pto should be engaged, to keep it from moving around, though I am not sure why.

If I remove the shaft from the housing, is this something where it has to be put back in the same position as it was taken out?

Thanks for the diagram!

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #7  
I believe the video you're citing was probably not on a TC30 at all but more likely a TO 30. Totally different tractor, and one where that shaft does slide out rather easily.
With the cover removed you should be able to see the bearing in question and be able to tell if it looks damaged or not. If it looks okay I'd replace the seal and gasket and try it again. Should you then feel the need to remove the shaft for further inspection you will first have to remove the three point lift housing in order to access the gears and other things as needed.

The bearing is full of grass, so I am going to have to replace it.

It looks as though to remove the 3 pt lift housing, the seat has to be removed as well. I guess it's not going to be a quick repair job, as I had hoped.

I have the 3 point lift housing bolts off, though the next issue I have run into, is how to remove it. I talked with a mechanic at the local New Holland Dealer, and he said it can be hard to get the housing off, and that it might require a cherry picker, though I don't have one. The roll bar is directly above where the top link attaches to the back of the 3 point lift housing. I am thinking to use a come along attached to the roll bar and the place where the top link attaches, to pull the housing off. Looking for any advice on whether this might or might not be a good idea. Mostly worried about causing stress to the housing, and it cracking. The mechanic at the dealer said it is just the gasket sealer that is holding it on. Some of the housing was attached with bolts, and other parts with nuts on studs that go through the housing.

Am attaching a couple of photos of the come along set up that I am thinking to try.

tractor photo.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• side view tractor.jpg
    side view tractor.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 335
Last edited: