New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #11  
That technique MIGHT work to break the glue joint, but certainly not to lift the housing. It needs to be lifted straight up not on an angle such as that. It won't clear the studs without damaging something.

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal
OK. I was wondering about that. Thank you again for the information.

OK, I have the 3 point lift housing removed to the point where I can look inside to where the bearing is. Am attaching a couple of photos.

When I pull on the end of the shaft, it moves about half an inch. There is a cover over the bearing that I have not removed. Not sure if it will need to be.

I was told by the mechanic at the New Holland dealer that when the shaft is removed, there is a gear that will fall out.

Editing this post.

Removed the cover over the bearing. Am attaching another photo.

When I pull on the shaft, the bearing toward the front of the tractor is hitting up against the gear on the shaft below. If I can get the bearing in the front removed, it seems as though the shaft should come out. I think the mechanic at the dealer said he taps off the bearing in the front, though I did not ask exactly how this was done.

The gear before the bearing towards the front of the shaft must be the one that comes off when the shaft is removed.

Attachments

• tractor pto shaft.jpg
    tractor pto shaft.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 185
  • tractor pto shaft 2.jpg
    tractor pto shaft 2.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 157
  • tractor pto 3.jpg
    tractor pto 3.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about how to remove the bearing that is on the end of the shaft. Am attaching a photo that shows the bearing and the housing.

Edit:

I found part of a TC 30 repair manual that could be purchased and downloaded online. Am attaching the page that describes how to remove the PTO shaft. It says to drive the shaft out the rear of the tractor. It doesn't mention anything about the bearing towards the front hitting the gear on the shaft below it though.

Any help on this appreciated. Have tried to drive the shaft out the back of the tractor, though am worried to use to much force. The bearing on the front of the shaft hits up against the gear below, and the shaft has not moved at all. It seems as though something is not right. Not sure what the gear below the shaft is for. It does not mesh with anything that I can tell.

Attachments

• tractor bearing.jpg
    tractor bearing.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 112
  • PTO shaft removal, TC 30 manual.pdf
    264.1 KB · Views: 107
  • bearing hitting gear.jpg
    bearing hitting gear.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
   / New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #15  
Does the bottom gear slide? If it would, it might allow you to slide the bottom gear forward just enough to the bear come off and then maybe you can work the shaft around the bearing.

Unless you can keep the bearing in the casting but it seems quite a tight press fit on the shaft.

The lower gear is fixed on splined shaft that has some taper. It nay be able to be moved forward a bit, but then would hit the casting.

There is 1/2 inch or less of play in the PTO shaft, so the bearing comes out of the casting a bit, but then it hits the gear below. I have tried to (without using too much force) drive the bearing forward off the shaft by using a spacer to hold the shaft back from the lip that is on the forward side of the casting, and also tried driving the shaft back as it says to do in the repair manual, but have not been able to get it to move. When I have tried driving the shaft towards the back of the tractor like the manual says to do, the bearing hits on a couple of the teeth of the gear. Not sure how strong those teeth are, or what the gear does, but sure do not want to break something.

I have thought of trying to use a C clamp to keep the bearing in the casting, and then try driving the shaft out. May try this today.

/ New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #17  
That's quite a job you have there. Hopefully you don't have to take the whole rear end apart just for one bearing.

Any chances of just try to push the damage bearing out? Would it slide over the PTO splines?

I tried a bit yesterday trying to push the bearing that needs to be replaced out, but no luck. According to the diagram in the repair manual, there are two bearings next to each other. The bearing does slide over the splines, as that is how it has to be removed once the shaft is removed.

I got the shaft removed enough to be able to remove the rear bearing. Not the way that the manual says to go about things, but I remain somewhat hopeful that it will still work. Used a come along attached to a yoke attached to the PTO shaft and then to my pickup truck. This still did not move the shaft at all. I took the tension off of the come along, and as I was unhooking it from my truck, with my back turned to the tractor, the rear bearing and the bearing on the shaft below it both came out of the back of the tractor. There was a cover over the lower shaft that popped out of the back of the housing. Not what I had intended to have happen, but it did make the rear bearing accessible. I was then able to use a puller to remove the bearing. Found out that the one the dealer sent is the wrong size.

The bearing in the front is still on the shaft, and has not moved. Hope it will be possible to get the rear bearing back on without having to remove the shaft from the tractor.

Current photo of of the shaft is attached.

Edit: I used a Vise Grip clamp to hold the front bearing in the casing while pulling on the shaft with the come along. After releasing the come along and the clamp, the shaft came out.

Attachments

• 20180818_143927.jpg
    20180818_143927.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 227
   / New Holland TC 30 PTO shaft removal #20  
Nice. Looks like you found another way around without taking the whole tractor apart.

Now it allows you to take off the PTO shaft, pretty much like they refer in the manual. However the bottom shaft might cause a bit of an headache as it seems you have to line up the coupler inside.

They could refer in the manual, that you need to remove the bottom cover plate and you have to pretty much pull everything as an assembly. It would make things easier. There is no way that would come off the way they said.

Anyway, the front bearing is clearly packed with grass. There is a chance that the second bearing can also have a bit of grass. I've seen this happening in the rope and twine industry. The plastic would go through 2 and 3 bearing in a row and just trashed all the seals and bearings with it.