New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Well, the 25-35 MPH winds yesterday made for a nerve wracking day. I am shocked that ANY tarps remained. My wife asked me last night what the sound was (wind rattling the cheap windows of the place we are renting) and I told her it was the sound of the tarps 2 miles away. :laughing:

Cold morning and the framers were grumbling this morning, but it is getting better. The winds died down through the day and it actually made it into the upper 30s. Almost shorts weather :laughing:

Lots going on over the weekend. 30 loads of fill were brought in. 15 were pushed around and 15 were staged for use in the back. Unfortunately, the ground was too muddy over the weekend to get it there. The garage is mostly filled and will have to push some around with my tractor after it dries out some.

I also started tearing down the cinder block shed in the back and putting that fill into the 4 x 14 x 9 porch cavity.

After speaking with the architect and Raycore, our climate is not so susceptible to thermal bridging and moisture so we are not putting the extra insulation on. That decision was based on their answers and the fact that I cannot afford additional delays to buy/deliver/wait for it. The weather is so "two steps forward, one step back" that I need to keep the framers moving ahead. It's a compromise and I have to go with the experts opinions.

The sheathing is all on all of the roof and the crickets have begun. It's possible that they can have them complete and ready for inspection tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest.

The windows and french doors are being delivered tomorrow and we will begin installing them as soon as we can. Friends are coming over to help later in the week to help with the double windows.

P1020795.jpg

/ New Home Begins #412  
As long as the architect and Raycore folks are willing to put their names to it, that is about all you can ask. They know the local conditions and applicable codes/standards much better, so go forth and finish building! :D

/ New Home Begins
Framing is complete. The sheathing inspection was today. Roof passed just fine. The inspector did not like the amount of spacing on butt seams in some places on the OSB sheathing for the walls. He says that for about these 12 seams, the framers need to run a saw up the joint to make a 1/8" kerf. :mad:

The framers did have it done correctly ... I witnessed it. Unfortunately, with all of the rain, the OSB swelled and the 1/8" closed up ... as designed. It won't get any worse than it already is.

So the framers were none too happy to have to do this but they did it. The inspector will be back tomorrow to check it out.

In the meantime, 11 windows are in. Five more to go and the two french doors. These will have to be done on Sunday as they are calling for rain/snow starting tomorrow afternoon and clear on Sunday. We need to get them in by Monday night as the telehandler goes back on Tuesday.

The shingles go on starting on Monday.

Lots moving ahead now.

/ New Home Begins
We finished getting all of the windows in before rain tomorrow. Sweet. :cool: Only the two french doors to go. Tomorrow will be preparing them (flanges, screen tracks, etc and building some staging depending on how much mud/muck we will have to deal with.

Eddie, if you are out there ... If I recall correctly, you wrapped the house for your parents in the Lowes housewrap? What is your opinion of it? I know it's about 1/2 the price of Tyvek but appears to be a woven material and tyvek is more solid.

We will get it wrapped soon and on to electrical and plumbing.

More pictures Monday after roofing is complete.

/ New Home Begins
We finished getting all of the windows in before rain tomorrow. Sweet. :cool: Only the two french doors to go. Tomorrow will be preparing them (flanges, screen tracks, etc and building some staging depending on how much mud/muck we will have to deal with.

Eddie, if you are out there ... If I recall correctly, you wrapped the house for your parents in the Lowes housewrap? What is your opinion of it? I know it's about 1/2 the price of Tyvek but appears to be a woven material and tyvek is more solid.

We will get it wrapped soon and on to electrical and plumbing.

More pictures Monday after roofing is complete.

/ New Home Begins #416  
Normaly the wrap, goes on before the windows and doors. I used the Menards wrap, that looks like the Lowes wrap. I had one wall that did not get sided before winter, the next summer, I noticed black spots on it, looked like mold? Made me wonder how the rest under the vinal siding looked? Next time I will spend the extra money for Tyveck.
The home looks great, I like your roof lines, it is something different.

Dave

/ New Home Begins
Normaly the wrap, goes on before the windows and doors. I used the Menards wrap, that looks like the Lowes wrap. I had one wall that did not get sided before winter, the next summer, I noticed black spots on it, looked like mold? Made me wonder how the rest under the vinal siding looked? Next time I will spend the extra money for Tyveck.
The home looks great, I like your roof lines, it is something different.

Dave

Putting the wrap on before the windows is one way. It's also acceptable to install the windows before the wrap. Wrap the sills in vycor or flexwrap or something similar, going over the house wrap under the window. Caulk the nailing flange sides and top and install. Then vycor over the nailing flange on the the sides, then across the top. Housewrap over the vycor at the top.

Thanks for your input on the housewrap. Kind of leaning away from the Lowes version of the wrap. Just more expense.

/ New Home Begins #419  
Putting the wrap on before the windows is one way. It's also acceptable to install the windows before the wrap. Wrap the sills in vycor or flexwrap or something similar, going over the house wrap under the window. Caulk the nailing flange sides and top and install. Then vycor over the nailing flange on the the sides, then across the top. Housewrap over the vycor at the top.

Thanks for your input on the housewrap. Kind of leaning away from the Lowes version of the wrap. Just more expense.

I'm glad you said this Tom. I pictured something far less informed and then I thought, well, it's too late now. :laughing: Hopefully you made good progress today.

/ New Home Begins #420  
We put on the housewrap (Tyvek with logo of our building supply house on it), then windows (with a bead of caulk under flanges). Then flexible self-adhesive flashing membrane went on over the window flanges and housewrap (Fortiflash was the brand, about 6" wide).

I've seen it done so many different ways. They all have pros and cons. I did notice that before we got the roof flashed/shingled and things buttoned up, rain would get behind the housewrap in a few spots, run down the walls, and turn and go inside around the tops of the windows. I wasn't too happy about that, but in general I think you have to really relax when dealing with rain during homebuilding otherwise it will drive you insane. We got our roof flashed and shingled right before 5-days of rain arrived in January, and it was the biggest feeling of relief I can remember in a long time. The roofers were literally finishing up the porch and trimming all edges when the drizzle set in as the storm front arrived.

Here's a shot of the adhesive window flashing membrane:

img_3061.jpg