New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Here are the instructions for vycor instructions and also in a recent JLC article.

vycor1.jpg vycor2.jpg

/ New Home Begins #423  
If you have used Vycor before, you will recall how awful it is to work with. If you haven't you will find out... :) Hard to handle, and it likes to lift and curl. One local builder I know says how he ends up taping over the edges of it with the regular Tyvek tape to keep the edges down (not very efficient). It also tends to creep and sag a lot as it is gooey - hot weather is a big problem. Now I first saw this stuff in JLC a couple years back and have since seen it demoed in person. It is incredible flashing tape. Thin, crazy tough, sticks like grim death to everything and will not lift. I haven't compared prices, but I'm sure it is more expensive (probably a lot), and I don't know how easy it is to find.

You can get it direct, if you can navigate through the nearly hopeless 3M website. This is probably a very expensive way to buy it too...
3M All Weather Flashing Tape 8067-Shop 3M

-Dave

/ New Home Begins
If you have used Vycor before, you will recall how awful it is to work with. If you haven't you will find out... :) Hard to handle, and it likes to lift and curl. One local builder I know says how he ends up taping over the edges of it with the regular Tyvek tape to keep the edges down (not very efficient). It also tends to creep and sag a lot as it is gooey - hot weather is a big problem. Now I first saw this stuff in JLC a couple years back and have since seen it demoed in person. It is incredible flashing tape. Thin, crazy tough, sticks like grim death to everything and will not lift. I haven't compared prices, but I'm sure it is more expensive (probably a lot), and I don't know how easy it is to find.

You can get it direct, if you can navigate through the nearly hopeless 3M website. This is probably a very expensive way to buy it too...

-Dave

Very cool. I use a well placed staple in the corners to ease the curling. I will look up the 3M stuff for future reference. I also saw a different brand ... Protecto. The name invokes something made in someone garage and sold to the coyote in some scheme to get the roadrunner. I am not sure I can trust it on name alone.

/ New Home Begins

-Dave

I see the 3M flashing tape online for about just few dollars more than the vycor. 3M for $47 for 6"x75'. I would have tried it if I saw it

/ New Home Begins #426  
I've used Protecto too. Basically the same as Vycor. Same bitumin/butyl gook. You won't believe the difference between the 3M stuff and the others. My friend and I took to calling the Protecto/Vycor "goop strip" when we used it a few years back (before the 3M stuff existed).

/ New Home Begins #427  
That 3M stuff is amazing, especially when one factors in the temperature that the guy in the video applied it at.

Better living through chemistry.

/ New Home Begins
More pictures as the house is now weather tight. Roofers are wrapping up as we speak with rain and wind on the way in a few hours. Next up ...

Housewrap and siding. Plumbing rough in. Electrical rough in.

P1020798.jpg P1020799.jpg P1020800.jpg P1020801.jpg P1020802.jpg P1020803.jpg P1020804.jpg P1020805.jpg P1020807.jpg P1020808.jpg P1020809.jpg P1020810.jpg

/ New Home Begins #430  
Looks great. I really like the cathedral ceiling and the doors at either end of the fireplace... nice touch. :thumbsup: