New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Looks great -- I love the interior woodwork and trim.

Thanks. We are making the trim ourselves. We picked up a pallet of 1x8 T&G knotty pine when we got the interior doors. Something like 1000 linear feet for $430. Picked out the best for the baseboards and can rip the tongues and grooves off and still get almost 6" out of it. We are using the beaded side to the wall (flat out). Little 45 bevel on top edge to make it less square. The remaining pieces are ripped to 3 1/2" to make casings/tops. Almost done staining them all.

/ New Home Begins #632  
I should add that she was not mad in the picture ... not as mad as when I showed her that it was posted and people were commenting on it. LOL
:D

Now that's funny!:laughing:

/ New Home Begins #633  
Thanks. We are making the trim ourselves. We picked up a pallet of 1x8 T&G knotty pine when we got the interior doors. Something like 1000 linear feet for $430. Picked out the best for the baseboards and can rip the tongues and grooves off and still get almost 6" out of it. We are using the beaded side to the wall (flat out). Little 45 bevel on top edge to make it less square. The remaining pieces are ripped to 3 1/2" to make casings/tops. Almost done staining them all.

Great way to do it and it looks fantastic. I am a big fan of knotty pine. I would love to have trim like that inside our house, but we went with painted for a craftsman look per my wife's preference.

I got to decide about the exterior though. We were lucky to find a local source of rough sawn knotty white pine when building our house last year, and our builder was setup to process it in different ways for exterior trim work. I think we paid $12 for each 16 foot 1"x"12" board. Some was planed, some left rough, and all got a couple coats of spar varnish. Here's what the builder did on the front porch:

front_porch.jpg

Hard to believe that is all "cheap" knotty pine, but I love looking at it and thinking how good of a deal it was.

/ New Home Begins #634  
:eek: Awesome! The builder's painters/finishers did a fantastic job with that. (not to mention the actual build...good stuff)

/ New Home Begins #635  

Your window casings and tops look pretty nice. Can you tell me how you made them? Do you have any more pictures of them? Thanks. Rick

/ New Home Begins
Your window casings and tops look pretty nice. Can you tell me how you made them? Do you have any more pictures of them? Thanks. Rick

Rick,

The window/door casing are 3 1/2" wide. The stiles (verticals) have a 1/4" radius round over on the long sides. The door casing are installed first. I then measured the width from outside edge to outside edge of the casings. This gives me the length of the head stock piece so that it matches the casing width. I rounded the short sides of the head stock.

I then cut 1" x 1/2" x head stock length+1" for the attach to the top and 1" x 3/8" x head stock length+1" to attach to the bottom of the head stock. These pieces extend beyond 1/2" on each side. The 1" gives us a 1/4" reveal (projection). The three pieces are glued and pinned together and finished. The unit can be simply placed on top of the casings as a unit and nailed.

I hope this answers your question but I will post close ups tomorrow.

/ New Home Begins #637  
Hi,
Just a quick +1 on all the coments about this being a great job and turning out really nice! Personally I appreciate the fact that you took the time to document and share. The lessons I am learning from you and on this website in general are not only valuable pieces of information but also inspiration as I continue to improve our property.

/ New Home Begins

Rick. Here are a few closeups of the moldings. I have not filled the nail holes yet.

P1030121.jpg P1030122.jpg P1030123.jpg

/ New Home Begins #639  
Rick. Here are a few closeups of the moldings. I have not filled the nail holes yet.

Man that looks great. What are you using for stain/finish?