New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Man that looks great. What are you using for stain/finish?

Oil based wood conditioner to even the stain absorption. Stain next with minwax at 2/3 ipswich pine and 1/3 cherry. Three coats of water based poly in satin after that. With the weather getting colder, plan A is to continue to use the garage and plan B is to stain in the garage and poly in the basement since there is almost no odor or VOCs from the water based poly.

/ New Home Begins #643  
House looks great Tom. Thanks for sharing.

/ New Home Begins #644  
I like that finish Tom, very warm/inviting, and I'm also a fan of the satin as opposed to semi-gloss.

/ New Home Begins
It's been a while and the house is done inside, except for a one or two trim pieces. We are starting to tackle the outside and the first thing is a deck. The deck overall footprint is 24' wide, the width of the great room. it is divided into two portions: 17x14 wide and 11x10 wide. I still have the railings to do but it is done enough to sit and enjoy a glass of wine.

P1030207.JPG P1030212.jpg

Over the next year, the list is:

1) More plantings and landscaping.
2) Hardscape edging along the driveway
3) Hardscape wall/flower beds in front
4) Hardscape patio off of the deck.

/ New Home Begins #647  
Deck looks great!

/ New Home Begins
I like the contrasting wood tones . The folk who built my place used single colour which is not as interesting .

Thanks! My wife has spent quite a bit of time laying out the boards to have a mix of shades to make that contrast pop. Blue Star pre-finished mahogany. We will still put more coats on in a few weeks.

/ New Home Begins #649  
Looks great. :thumbsup: (should have been scotch/rocks though :laughing:)