New House Build in the Country!!!

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #11  
Question
Why is it lately that the master closet is always inside the bath? To me this has never made any sense. You have to go through the bathroom to get to the closet, and also, isn't there a much higher chance of mold or other problems with clothing inside the bath like this?

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #12  
Congrats on the opportunity to build such a nice looking home! As members of the military, you no doubt deserve it, and I thank you and your wife for your service.

I 100% agree with the others on 36" doors. I have 30" in my current home, and smaller, and it is constantly an issue with moving furniture around.

I recently helped my in laws build a small ranch house to replace their hundred year old home. My father-in-law originally bucked the 36" doors, but eventually gave in. Boy was he glad when it came time to move stuff back in. Price difference between 32"and 36" was only $10 for the doors they chose.

I love these build threads and wish you well on this endeavor. Looking forward to your progress. Thanks for sharing with us!

/ New House Build in the Country!!!
Question
Why is it lately that the master closet is always inside the bath? To me this has never made any sense. You have to go through the bathroom to get to the closet, and also, isn't there a much higher chance of mold or other problems with clothing inside the bath like this?

Its funny that you mention that. When I first met my wife she COULD not stand that homes out here have closets that are connected to the bath. I guess that we have been here so long that it didnt even phase us......

Joeyd,

Would you believe that neither me or my wife noticed the storage under the stairs??? The architect must have added that on his own! My wife was concerned about the pantry space - we will probably make some adjustments.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #15  
Its funny that you mention that. When I first met my wife she COULD not stand that homes out here have closets that are connected to the bath. I guess that we have been here so long that it didnt even phase us......
Seems like most of the house plans you look at are designed this way. Maybe it's just easier to design that way as far as efficiently using the space available, but it does seem to be the norm now. My current home is set up this way for the master suite and we have not had any issues. We tend to dress in the bathroom anyway, so it is efficient for us.

Edit to add that I actually like having one less door in my master bedroom. More wall space for dressers etc.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #16  
Mine also has the walk ins in the bathroom. I agree with TnWV's comments here. No trouble for me so far.

Justin, I think these are great plans and it's a beautiful piece of property. I was going to comment on how small your attached garage is until I saw the plans for the 2nd garage. Okay, now I'm just jealous.

These are my favorite threads and I'll be following this closely. Thanks for sharing!

My wife and I are a little concerned with the elevation drop off from the front of the house to the rear of the backyard. Is it possible to bring in fill dirt to reduce the elevation change? would that require a retaining wall?

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #18  
It's going to be a lovely home. Though there are places a 3' dr. is very convenient and easy to apply it certainly is not necessary in all applications. You don't go changing all your drs. to 3' on a wim. there are many implications involved when you have a blueprint and start moving things a few inches let alone 6". Use your own judgment & don't hesitate to take advantage of some of the great advice given you here by those with experience and put thought into their comments. I learn something new here nearly every day.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #19  
It's hard to tell from you pictures. How much elevation change over what distance are you talking about? Looks relatively flat to me, but I'm in Upstate SC in the foothills of the mountains. Many homes here have large elevation changes from the front of the house to the back of the house. Usually retaining walls aren't used unless the change is 45 degrees or better.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #20  
If you are doing a basement, the drop off of the grade in the back could be ideal for a walkout basement.

I am in the minority regarding 36" doors. I have them and if you have never had them, it's surprising the extra couple of steps it takes to reach for the knob of an open door and close it. I thought most new wheel chairs and hovers were more narrow than they were in the 50'same and 60's. But to each their own.

Nice property and house plans. Big house.