New House Build in the Country!!!

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #21  
Right GP, we have a lot of walkout basements here and there are very few that have retaining walls. The slope just follows the natural slope along side the foundation walls. Our footers are usually stair stepped.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #22  
Congratulations on the house and building your dream.

I am with some of the others at rethinking the doorway openings as well as the hallway into the master and the opening to the other bedrooms on the first floor. They look very tight. If you have to move big furniture (such as a 6 or 9 drawer dresser) into that master bedroom, I do not think you could make the turn in the hallway without standing it up on end. Same for the other two bedrooms.

We went with 36 inch doors and have never regretted it.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #23  
Well, unless i missed something not seeing any basement stairs. Depends on if you want a crawl space or not. If you are going with a crawl space no you won't need any fill or a retaining wall. If you don't want a crawl space, and this is how I would do it and wish i did it, I would in fill with sand and pour concrete. Gives you nice solid floor for tile, wood floor and in floor heat. Residential builders don't like it because, all the plumbing and the like have to be right on. Personally wouldn't want to have to mess with a crawl space and full basements are over rated and expensive.

/ New House Build in the Country!!!
Today they started work on improving the 1300 foot road....

20151216_131203.jpg20151216_132317.jpg

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #25  
thanks for sharing. Lots of room.
agree with the others on the doors, most of mine are 3'.
was confused about the garage, I'm assuming the 3 car is a 2nd garage.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #26  
I'm confused? You are military, right. During my 21 year Navy career, I was looking a possible PCS change every three years. Building a house was not an option.

mark

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #27  
Mark, I was thinking same thing. My rate had a 5 year sea to 3 year shore rotation, but I always heard some had the opposite, so maybe they are on a better end of that stick in the Army or in their positions.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #28  
I looked at your plans more closely.

I agree to adjust space at the top and bottom of stairs where you can to make it easier to move furniture in and out. In the 3 car garage, you can easily move the water heater and hvac further away from the stairs. And move the closet at the top of the stairs elswhere.

Think about only one sink in bath that's not the master to provide more counter space.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #29  
Reminds me a bit of last house I built 5 years ago. Master bedroom at other end of house from other bedrooms was one of the best things I did. Put double doors on master bedroom, also a can't live without. Made everything handicap friendly if needed in the future. Garage to house door with handicap threshold and designed for a ramp from garage into house. All very low step heights into house and basement.

Access to basement from garage is great also. Another can't live without feature was a dedicated overhead door with opener in the garage sized for golf cart.

/ New House Build in the Country!!! #30  
As you consider door widths, there's a limit of course before you have to widen hallways or other major changes. But if you want it, now is the time to do it. And now is the time to consider furniture movement.

Typically the trim is around door casing is 2 1/4" (some are wider) with a quarter inch reveal of door casing, that's 5". So a 36" door requires a minimum 41" hallway. Same minimum width of stair way if you have a door at top and/or bottom.

I haven't checked to see the exact width of your halls and stairs, but you may want to see what the max door is by subtracting 5" from the plan.