New JD 5055e

/ New JD 5055e
You should have a lot of fun with it. I went with the 5065E and the dealer will deliver it this Friday ......by by Framtrac.

Heh, funny thing is I was looking at the 5045 first, then decided I, ahem, needed ten more hp (plus the 5055 has slightly larger rear tires that hold more fluid for more ballast). Which almost led me to the 5065 since ten more hp is even better. But I had to stop somewhere or I would end up in the 9000 series. The wife would not have supported a six figure tractor. :)

/ New JD 5055e #12  
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a JD 5065E. Some guys have told I have to have 4WD. I have been getting by w/ an old Ford 4000, and do not thing I need the 4WD. Any opinions?

Michael

/ New JD 5055e #13  
Do you have a picture or link for such an item? The cutting edge is pretty thick and the sides are reinforced. I would like to have some iron welded across the top to add hooks to and to beef up the thin metal there.

I would inquire at your dealer. I always buy the heavy duty buckets as all of the standard duty buckets I have seen were bent or damaged.

Do you have holes to mount an additional blade to the lip?

/ New JD 5055e
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a JD 5065E. Some guys have told I have to have 4WD. I have been getting by w/ an old Ford 4000, and do not thing I need the 4WD. Any opinions?

Michael

2WD will save you some money. Quite a bit in fact. I wanted the MFWD for the extra weight, pulling ability, and most importantly, it is what I wanted. This is probably twice the tractor that I need right now, but I don't want to be upgrading in a year or two.

/ New JD 5055e
Do you have holes to mount an additional blade to the lip?

Yes, the bucket has holes along its front edge. I guess they are for adding teeth??? Could be for a HD cutting edge.

/ New JD 5055e #16  
Tractor looks good, are those the 16.9-28 rear tires?

We got a 5045e last fall and it has been a great tractor so far. Getting close to 200hrs on it already, so it see's quite a bit of use. I think you made the right choice with the 55hp version. The 5045e is a bit sluggish especially off idle, but for 80% of what we use it for it has more than enough power (loader work, feeding hay, raking and tedding). I really enjoy the sync-shuttle transmission. It is one of the smoothest manual transmissions I've used on a tractor.

Putting it to work, only a couple days old:

198962d1296960181-recommendations-large-power-take-off-p1010609sm.jpg

/ New JD 5055e
Tractor looks good, are those the 16.9-28 rear tires?

14.9-28 if I remember correctly. I'd have to look it up to answer for sure.

Good to hear of your positive experience. Thanks for sharing.

What kind of chipper is that? I would love to have one, but don't know if I can spend the money at this point.

/ New JD 5055e #18  
Yes, the bucket has holes along its front edge. I guess they are for adding teeth??? Could be for a HD cutting edge.

You won't regret doubling up that cutting edge, BTDT.

/ New JD 5055e #19  
14.9-28 if I remember correctly. I'd have to look it up to answer for sure.

Good to hear of your positive experience. Thanks for sharing.

What kind of chipper is that? I would love to have one, but don't know if I can spend the money at this point.

It's an Echo Bearcat 9540H, 9" hydraulic feed. It was a bit spendy but we have quite a few acres of pine trees that need thinning, trails and fence lines that need cut back, etc so it gets a fair bit of use. First week I made probably close to 100cu yards of chips. We also use the chips for bedding in the barns. The 5045e powers it pretty well, but I like it on our old 2550 JD better. At 65 PTO hp it really makes the chips fly. :D

Another pic of it in action:
198961d1296960181-recommendations-large-power-take-off-p1010611sm.jpg

/ New JD 5055e #20  
I ordered the wear edge from the dealer for $175 OTD. I'll post a pic when I figure out how from my iPhone.
As far as whether or not to go MFWD. I've had both and it's a night and day difference in the sandy south Alabama soil.