New Kubota - horsepower requirements and performance

/ New Kubota - horsepower requirements and performance #21  
Yes that is fine but the sprayer that he is using has a large fan that needs 50hp on it to run, more power then a small 5hp engine will produce.

David

/ New Kubota - horsepower requirements and performance
Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone!

I've pitched the M7060HDC12 (4wd, 12sp, cab) to the owner and it looks like he's pretty excited about it. it will be very nice to finally have a cab while spraying.

To those who suggested a different sprayer, etc, I appreciate the posts as well. Fact is we've got the Gearmore Venturi already and have been using it with great results on our Landini 85F for a few years now. However, it's our only tractor and as you can imagine there's a lot of seasonal demand on it, so it'll be amazing to have two, and myself and the Foreman will get a lot more work done :)

If everything works out I'll be back with a new thread once we get going -- hopefully we'll get it in time to seed the cover crop.

/ New Kubota - horsepower requirements and performance #23  
Hello Kubota Forum, first off, I apologize if this should be in the Buying / Pricing thread.

At work we're looking for a new tractor -- top on the list is a L6060 4WD HST with cab -- to handle most of our spraying in the spring and summer. The sprayer has a 52 PTO HP requirement. The rep from the sprayer company has assured me that as long as we hit 52, we're fine. That is to say, 70 is no better than 53 with regard to tractor performance while using the sprayer.

My primary question: is this true in y'all's experience? We have a hilly property, and it's hot so the AC will be on. I am concerned about power loss when going uphill, etc. I have a fair amount of tractor experience, but I've never had a cab or a hydrostatic tractor. Secondary questions are whether HST is better/worse/the same as geared transmission when it comes to power maintenance, and, of course, if there's any other models in the same size and price range that I should be considering.

Thanks! I hope that was clear.

Just on general principles, I would never size tractor horsepower required for a single operation like spraying. Tractors are generally used for multiple operations on a farm or ranch and within limits, more power is better, all other things being equal. Your requirements may change as they usually do and they almost always change in the upward direction. What if that sprayer does not meet your requirements and you need more pto power, are you going to have to get another tractor?

My general rule has been to size upward 10-20 %over what you present known requirements are because inevitably you will find a necessary operation will need increased hp in the future. As far as power deterioration, unless your tractor is being used 8 - 12 hours daily at maximum power, I doubt that 10-15 % power deterioration in 18-24 months is a real concern.

If I were in your position I'd be looking 60-65 pto hp machine

/ New Kubota - horsepower requirements and performance #24  
Sounding good! Being protected from spraying yourself is a VERY good thing.