New L2501 advice needed

/ New L2501 advice needed #1  

needmoredirt

Silver Member
Tractor
L2501HST4WD, BadBoy ZT, JD 125, JKU Rubicon
Have about 5ac, some is rather slopey, if that's a word, too downright dangerous on old feet.

Username should give an idea of first task that has been started, erosion has taken its toll in a few short months, too much to fix by hand, need more dirt.

My approach to WHAT tractor to buy, was more of what NOT to buy, "that leaves two".

New L2501 hst/r4's and L526 loader/SSQA was (I hope) the correct answer for me, wife, not so much, "you just want a tractor".

That's it, clean slate to work with (not that I'm exactly sure what a 525, 526 or 527 is besides metric, or how to run it without killing myself).

No mowing, have ZT and 21 for the green stuff - or what will be green.

Safety is #1. Thinking 3" spacers and ballast. Pallet forks on the short list. Looking at quick hitch, ballast box, no idea about forks.

This machine will probably live with me in the shop, with tools, once I'm not forgiven by the wife :ROFLMAO:

Information overload has been the game, load me up!

/ New L2501 advice needed #2  
Congratulations on the new Bota. My number 1 recommendation for any new tractor owner, is go slow at first and read, read, read the owner manual. It has tons of information.

/ New L2501 advice needed #3  
1) New L2501 hst/r4's and L526 loader/SSQA was (I hope) the correct answer for me, wife, not so much, "you just want a tractor".

1) That's it, clean slate to work with (not that I'm exactly sure what a 525, 526 or 527 is besides metric, or how to run it without killing myself).

2) Safety is #1. Thinking 3" spacers and ballast. Pallet forks on the short list. Looking at quick hitch, ballast box, no idea about forks.

1) The Loader numbers are the approximate lift capacity in kilograms. The last digit is a Kubota Loader series indicator mostly important for ordering Loader parts.

2) Counterbalance weight on the TPH is the most effective factor in improving tractor stability when using a Loader. Wider rear tire stance is number two improvement for tractor stability, not far behind counterbalance. Third is 50% to 75% liquid filled rear tires are to lower center-of-gravity. Tire ballast trails counterbalance and increasing rear tire width in increasing tractor stability when using a Loader. Tire ballast does improve tire traction.

Add a SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) Loader option to your wish list.

Last edited:
   / New L2501 advice needed #4  
The L2501 is a workhorse, and enjoys a very good reputation. I'm sure you will like your new machine.
Some people swear by heavy ballast boxes, but my preference is loaded tires for daily stability, and a heavy implement for loader work. Rear ballast is important when using the loader, particularly when on slopes. When possible I avoid slopes altogether when using the loader. Be certain to be in 4wd while going down a slope, or you may go for a ride.
For a lot of dirt pile work you may want to add a tooth bar to your bucket. Enjoy!

/ New L2501 advice needed #5  
Congrats on your new tractor - it's a great unit as others have stated. Also without your location its hard to suggest implements - but if you have snow get a rear blade it's also a good counter weight - get at least a 6' and if you want to grade dirt or scrape/trench a ditch, get a hydraulic top link on it.

You can reverse the blade too, which can be used to level dirt. If you don't have snow to be concerned about maybe landscape rake instead to level and spread dirt.

/ New L2501 advice needed #6  
Congrats on your new tractor - it's a great unit as others have stated. Also without your location its hard to suggest implements - but if you have snow get a rear blade it's also a good counter weight - get at least a 6' and if you want to grade dirt or scrape/trench a ditch, get a hydraulic top link on it.

You can reverse the blade too, which can be used to level dirt. If you don't have snow to be concerned about maybe landscape rake instead to level and spread dirt.
I would add that even if you don’t have snow, a good rear blade is a versatile implement and great for dirt or gravel road maintenance. It’s a far more versatile implement than a landscape rake.

/ New L2501 advice needed
Wow, didn't expect so much response and the thumbs up. Thanks!

SSQA was on the list of must haves, I've got it, need forks and SSQA thingie removed forks too, seems like 2 decisions there?

Will read and go slow, avoid tippy areas until I make them not so tippy (even the ZT is scary at times when I don't slow down).

First thing I was tasked with after buying this place was 100 yards of asphalt driveway. In TX - don't have snow, just failed electric :oops:

One thing I wanted was R14's, having loaded R4's gives me pause. Flats don't sound like fun. More "what NOT", given I can't reduce weight when it's not needed being delicate???

Tooth bar sounds good, gotta go shopping.

How can I load (a good!) rear/box blade (they are the same, no? Reverse it???) on a quick attach to avoid ballast box? I like versatility for a couple bucks more (not to mention the real estate these things take when idle).

Sorry, have more questions than answers ATM.

Great stuff, keep'em coming!!!

/ New L2501 advice needed #8  
Wow, didn't expect so much response and the thumbs up. Thanks!

SSQA was on the list of must haves, I've got it, need forks and SSQA thingie removed forks too, seems like 2 decisions there?

Will read and go slow, avoid tippy areas until I make them not so tippy (even the ZT is scary at times when I don't slow down).

First thing I was tasked with after buying this place was 100 yards of asphalt driveway. In TX - don't have snow, just failed electric :oops:

One thing I wanted was R14's, having loaded R4's gives me pause. Flats don't sound like fun. More "what NOT", given I can't reduce weight when it's not needed being delicate???

Tooth bar sounds good, gotta go shopping.

How can I load (a good!) rear/box blade (they are the same, no? Reverse it???) on a quick attach to avoid ballast box? I like versatility for a couple bucks more (not to mention the real estate these things take when idle).

Sorry, have more questions than answers ATM.

Great stuff, keep'em coming!!!
I have a rear blade that is heavy (1025#) and a rotary cutter. Both of these offer good ballast but actually have a purpose, unlike a ballast box. But I can see a ballast box if someone needs to use the loader in tight spots.

/ New L2501 advice needed #9  
Since you mentioned erosion and adding dirt, a landscape rake or rear blade with gauge wheels is a great implement. The gauge wheels make a huge difference.
Everyone loves spending your money!

/ New L2501 advice needed #10  
Have you measured your slope? A simple digital level will do it. Most humans have difficulty accurately estimating a slope by eye. Wouldn't advise getting on much of a slope without knowing what you are actually dealing with first.