New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #11  
Great job getting that law passed. My dad built his house with lumber sawn from his land.

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #12  
Awesome work!

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #13  
Thanks Andy! Appreciate every little bit of autonomy we can wrestle away from the gubbmint.

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber
   / New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #15  
Amen said the choir..........

Yes and amen! A big step in right direction, I think! I have about 60 excellent southern yellow pines I need to take down, and nobody will come get them! Most are about 14-18" diameter at eye level, beautiful straight pines. And, they are right where I plan to build my pole barn. I have already cut and wasted about 20 pines, just rotting away in a ditch where I pushed them. All I need now is a sawmill... But, I'm doing this in Georgia, so I'll have to check to see if I can use my own lumber.

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #16  
TnAndy,

Where do you get your bandsaw blades?

I messed up like a derp-a-derp! Hit the darn log dog with the blade! I knew it would happen sooner or later, ugh!!

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #17  
Ever seen the movie Still Mine?

TnAndy,

Where do you get your bandsaw blades?

I messed up like a derp-a-derp! Hit the darn log dog with the blade! I knew it would happen sooner or later, ugh!!

I buy mine from Woodmizer. Tried several other brands over the years, but finally concluded WM has wide sawing figured out, whereas most other brand are meant for sawing pallet material which is generally 4-8" wide max.....and pallet shops mostly don't re-sharpen their blades....they run until they break, and throw another blade on.

As for hitting a dog, I'd guess every one new to sawing does it....I sure did. After a while, it becomes second nature to watch and lower them...almost a reflex action.

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #19  
I buy mine from Woodmizer. Tried several other brands over the years, but finally concluded WM has wide sawing figured out, whereas most other brand are meant for sawing pallet material which is generally 4-8" wide max.....and pallet shops mostly don't re-sharpen their blades....they run until they break, and throw another blade on.

As for hitting a dog, I'd guess every one new to sawing does it....I sure did. After a while, it becomes second nature to watch and lower them...almost a reflex action.

There is a place in Morristown that will make Lenox blades. I am running down today to pick 2 up, at $13.50 each why not. The ones I seen online were pricey and other local places wanted $30+ for a single blade.

I will let you know how they work out.

They make work fine, they may not. As I said, often the blade made by Lennox and Simmons, and others are made for pallet cant sawing.....4-8" stuff.....not wide cuts in logs.

The other problem is that saw shops buy from manufacturers in rolls, and cut/weld to your length. The weld has to be properly annealed.....some of them know how to do it, and SOME DON'T. I bought box of blades to try from a saw shop, and every single one of them failed at the weld, before the first sharpening. All blades break eventually....after 4-5-6 sharpenings, and almost never at the weld.