New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #21  
Where do you get your blades sharpened? How much does it cost? Or, how do you do it?

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber
I sharpen mine.

Thing is, I might or might not be able to sharpen your blades....depends on the tooth spacing/etc. My sharpener is set up to do WM blades (which can be used on any mill, as long as the length is correct), but not other blades. You can buy different cams for different tooth spacing, and that will do different blades, but since I don't do different blades, I haven't bought the setup for them.

And sharpening is just half the equation...you also have to set the tooth. I bought a $1000 Suffolk Machinery manual tooth setter just to do that part, and speed the process up from the crappy manual tooth setter WM sold with my sharpener.

I did call around locally about sharpening, and got prices for that.....then when I asked about setting, some gave me a price about the same as sharpening, (basically doubling the price) and some places had no clue what I was asking, making me think they have no idea what is required to get a blade functional.

/ New Law in Tennessee:Native timber/lumber #25  
NC, the state that raises yellow pine as a commercial crop has a similar law. My neighbor was quoted $75/hr to have his native wood, yellow pine, that he had cut and milled graded so he so he could use it to build his house. He is kind of a cantankery farmer and just went out and had his own stamp made. Building inspector accepted his lumber as meeting code.

I researched the requirements to be a lumber inspector or grader and in regulatory space there are none. The ability to grade or stamp is through a commercial body controlled by the big timber companies who are members of self-governing board that costs a lot of money to be a member of so they can cut out the small commercial sawyers..

I read the spec, it states lumber has to be dimensionally correct and cut on six sides with out excessive knots or defects. I have a chainsaw mill and will soon be graduating to a band saw mill. I plan to inspect and grade my own lumber, sell it to myself and if I'm not happy I will replace any lumber I deem sub-standard.

I also am bonfide farm so I don't need a permit for agriculture buildings.:dance1:

He is kind of a cantankery farmer and just went out and had his own stamp made. Building inspector accepted his lumber as meeting code.

I thought seriously about doing the same thing.....stamps don't cost much.

But having a law to stick up their backsides is a whole lot more fun.