New member from CNY

/ New member from CNY #41  
Here is my thought. With 3.5 acres most any tractor about 30 hp more or less should do you a good job. Make sure it is 4 wheel drive and has a loader. Then depending on what you want to do with it can add a brush hog for mowing, a blade tI remove snow and dress up the drive way, a plow and tiller if want a garden and so and so forth. Those little tractors do fine for what you want to do. It is when you take the little tractors to the farn, that is when they don't do well and start having major break downa and major system failures. (I kind of refer to those little tractors as. Weekend warrior tractors) as far as mowing the yard and up around the house, I have a cub cadet zero turn. That little zero turn is hard to beat when it comes to mowing the yard.

/ New member from CNY
Here is my thought. With 3.5 acres most any tractor about 30 hp more or less should do you a good job. Make sure it is 4 wheel drive and has a loader. Then depending on what you want to do with it can add a brush hog for mowing, a blade tI remove snow and dress up the drive way, a plow and tiller if want a garden and so and so forth. Those little tractors do fine for what you want to do. It is when you take the little tractors to the farn, that is when they don't do well and start having major break downa and major system failures. (I kind of refer to those little tractors as. Weekend warrior tractors) as far as mowing the yard and up around the house, I have a cub cadet zero turn. That little zero turn is hard to beat when it comes to mowing the yard.
Yeah that's what I've been thinking lately. I guess I just had to find the right size... Now it's time to narrow down the color.

/ New member from CNY #43  
I wonder if I can get a Dr's note to get a tractor... For.... Therapy!!? Hahahaha
You're not far off, I do my best thinking in the seat, and never feel worse than when I started.
MT

/ New member from CNY
You're not far off, I do my best thinking in the seat, and never feel worse than when I started.
MT
Or you can think of nothing but the task at hand and let everything else go.

/ New member from CNY #45  
Yeah that's what I've been thinking lately. I guess I just had to find the right size... Now it's time to narrow down the color.
Well, I think about any brand will do you a good job for the size acreage you have. My dad has a little John Deere and it has done him a good job. He is John Deere all the way. A lot of the farmer around here are strictly John Deere or case-ih. Most of those tractors are big ag tractors with 200-300 hp. I have heard that the big ag tractors are better quality than the utility size tractors. I can't confirm or deny that. I have a little massey ferguson and it have give me lots of trouble. However, if you had just 5-10 acres, I think the tractor would hold up pretty good. Just my thoughts.

/ New member from CNY
Well, I think about any brand will do you a good job for the size acreage you have. My dad has a little John Deere and it has done him a good job. He is John Deere all the way. A lot of the farmer around here are strictly John Deere or case-ih. Most of those tractors are big ag tractors with 200-300 hp. I have heard that the big ag tractors are better quality than the utility size tractors. I can't confirm or deny that. I have a little massey ferguson and it have give me lots of trouble. However, if you had just 5-10 acres, I think the tractor would hold up pretty good. Just my thoughts.
Thanks. I'm not really going to be bellowing black smoke out of it. Just to make those little projects that much easier. Just to putter around with.

/ New member from CNY
Here's the update to my situation.

I've inherited an JD Z425 zero turn mower. Im in the process of cleaning the carb. It hasn't been used in a year or two. It is only a 48" mower deck but I think the speed will compensate the smaller width.

As for the tractor. I've test drove a couple Kubotas, Kiotis and JDs. The Kubota is definitely the nicest most refined of the bunch. They only had a B2650 with a cab. That lever cruise control is awesome. Kubota has seemed to have the multi function loader valve. Most of the other brands it's one functioned or the other. There others you can kinda do it but the sweet spot is much smaller to multi function.
The Kiotis seem very nice also. Easy to operate and priced very reasonably.

The Mahindra are also pretty nice. I just saw in the last couple days that they are coming out with a 1626. Which will replace the 1526. Loader control moves to the fender not next to the loader. Nicer seat and a few other updates. I also really like the shuttle shift. That's what I grew up on, gears and shuttle. I'm not knocking the hyros. And I know id get used to them. Just a little bit of an adjustment.

And now on to the prices.
(Prices reflect hyro, take about $1k off for the gear variant)

B2610 $18500
CK2510 $15000
Max26XL $18000
XJ2025 $14000

B2650 $19500
CK 2610 $16500
1526 $16900
XG3025 $17500

CK 3510 $18900

The reason I added the CK3510 in the mix was the dealer just quoted me what seemed like a good deal. After comparing, it seems like for size and capacities (not HP), it would be a comp to the 1526. :Bang head:

Oh and yes I've thought about cleaning up the zero turn and trading it in but getting MMM or rear finish mower.

Oh guys I've rambled on long enough.
Thanks for listening

Last edited: