New Member - Looking for first Tractor

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #21  
At least 45 hp.
Absolutly 4wd snow, dragging lumber
Hydrostatic transmission is a must shifting gets to be a pain real quick
Front end loader
Don't expect to do any serious grading as the implements aren't up to it, I tried. This is when you want to hire a pro with a dozer.
I've always been a Massey fan, but considered other brands when I bought my last machine.
Go to your local farm machinery dealership and kick some tires. Establish a relationship with them. It'll pay back in spades over time.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor
In the immediate vicinity of my building site, there is a 2-3 acre area that is much flatter than the rest of the property, so most of my day to day adventures with the tractor will not be as "vertically" challenged. It is when I start cleaning up around the rest of the property and harvesting trees for lumber that I will have to venture into the steeper grades.

Appreciate all the suggestions from everyone - keep them coming!

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #23  
Mark Page said:
At least 45 hp.
Please enumerate the tasks the OP listed that require 45+HP. He wants to lift 1000lbs and any tractor over 30hp as well as some under 25hp can do that. He has driveway maintenance but that can easily be done with 30hp. Pulling logs is manageable with 4wd and 20hp. I just don't see the need for more than 25-35hp and the HP is less critical than loader lift.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #24  
...the HP is less critical than loader lift.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is when I start cleaning up around the rest of the property and harvesting trees for lumber that I will have to venture into the steeper grades.

Sounds like a skidding winch is in your future!

If you won't be doing too much work on your steep slopes, aside from harvesting trees, then it is a lot easier to get around. A skidding winch will allow you to harvest trees on steep slopes without driving down/across the slope (within reason of course)

A winch is on my list of implements that I "need" after reading about them on here :D

Do you have a mill?

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor
I do not have a mill. There is a local guy who does. Thanks for the tip

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #26  
I have the similar question. Newbe
I'm built a new home on top of a hill 300'high 40 acres of forested property in SW WI. The terrain is also rugged, lots of brush, many many trees and a lot of loose rock. the avg slope is about 17-20%. The house will be about 1/2mi from the main road.

I'm going to need a tractor for the following reasons:

1. Push/Blow Snow (up a steep 17% grade 500' driveway first 500' is only 8-10% grade)
2. Collect/Move Rock (Mostly fist to basketball size but the occasional Laundry Basket size)
3. Move felled timber
4. Maintenance of recycled asphalt driveway (plan to blacktop the 17% section this year)
5. General Landscaping - but I will be cutting a little grass with it too <1/2 acre
6. Moving Heavy objects mostly logs & stones

The local dealer has a new 23 hp; 4WD Drive; New BX2360 with Kubota snow blower for sale. I'm going back to see if he has an older used one I can try out since we have 3-6" of fresh wet snow on the road right now.

My question is before I go embarase or kill myself... will this be big enough to handle this road to blow the snow off. I have a iAWD new car I'm itching to drive up the road but it can't handle 6" of snow probably would do OK in 1-2" of slush/snow.

Any suggestions on the size of tractor or skidsteer to buy??

thanks!
CaptFlyboy

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #27  
I have the similar question. Newbe
I'm built a new home on top of a hill 300'high 40 acres of forested property in SW WI. The terrain is also rugged, lots of brush, many many trees and a lot of loose rock. the avg slope is about 17-20%. The house will be about 1/2mi from the main road.

I'm going to need a tractor for the following reasons:

1. Push/Blow Snow (up a steep 17% grade 500' driveway first 500' is only 8-10% grade)
2. Collect/Move Rock (Mostly fist to basketball size but the occasional Laundry Basket size)
3. Move felled timber
4. Maintenance of recycled asphalt driveway (plan to blacktop the 17% section this year)
5. General Landscaping - but I will be cutting a little grass with it too <1/2 acre
6. Moving Heavy objects mostly logs & stones

The local dealer has a new 23 hp; 4WD Drive; New BX2360 with Kubota snow blower for sale. I'm going back to see if he has an older used one I can try out since we have 3-6" of fresh wet snow on the road right now.

My question is before I go embarase or kill myself... will this be big enough to handle this road to blow the snow off. I have a iAWD new car I'm itching to drive up the road but it can't handle 6" of snow probably would do OK in 1-2" of slush/snow.

Any suggestions on the size of tractor or skidsteer to buy??

thanks!
CaptFlyboy

Will a BX complete those chores? Yes. Would I want to use a BX? No, way to small and most would take forever. I would look into at least a B series if not an L, and comparable for all other makes.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #28  
After looking & talking & knowing that I would want to keep it in the 8'H garage door I might be limited on how much bigger I can go and what I want to spend (<$10K). I contacted a local dealer and asked if he knew someone who had a snow removal equipment that could handle our steep driveway. He gave me a name & he was there in 15 min and done in less than an hour. He just had an old military grade 4 wheel truck with a plow attachment and charged me $50 to do my 1/2mile x 25'W private drive. After he plowed it I drove my new kizashi w/ iAWD up and down the road multiple times testing how it would handle when stopped on the steepest section and it had no problem going up or down the loose recycled asphalt road w/ <1" of snow that the plow left behind. I'll find out tomorrow after it has a chance to snow another inch & maybe freeze some of the slush if the car continues to climbs like a jet.

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #29  
Will a BX complete those chores? Yes. Would I want to use a BX? No, way to small and most would take forever. I would look into at least a B series if not an L, and comparable for all other makes.

x2 here.. 40 acres of rough woods! Find a good used L machine with a foldable ROPS. After the first 6 months - you'll be really glad you did!

AKfish

/ New Member - Looking for first Tractor #30  
40 acres of rough woods! Find a good used L machine with a foldable ROPS.
AKfish

+1:thumbsup:

...and that would be the minimum I'd recommend!