New member tractor advice

/ New member tractor advice #1  

RHanna

Tractor
None
Just joined the forum.

Quick summary of my situation.
Dad just passed about 1 month ago.
He owned about 60-80 acres of fields. I know the land like the back of my hand just riding around on 4 wheelers and hunting. I know most of the fields are pretty "clean" (doesn't have a huge stump or random fence)
Some of it in CRP.
He owned a John Deere over 20 years ago, which I was able to drive and use a little bit. I'm not super mechanically inclined but would expect to be able to do most of the maintenance just not something like a full engine rebuild.

I would like to be able to brush hog all the fields and get them back to the way they used to look. Currently a couple of the fields have a lot of saplings while most haven't been cut in maybe 2 years.
I'm thinking about purchasing a tractor and brush hog to do these items. I don't expect to ever plant the fields or cut hay. My main job with the tractor will be cutting the fields but the more I look at the ones with the FEL I think I could need that attachment at some point. Cab would be nice but I wouldn't want to ignore a good deal.

I don't really want to drop a ton of money given the low amount of work required but it seems like I would need 50hp but I'm not sure. Seems like new could get pricey but I don't know if a 30 year old tractor would be reliable enough. Not really brand loyal, I know John Deere is a good brand but they seem to think a lot of their tractors.

Any advice welcome.

/ New member tractor advice #2  
A 30 year old tractor is only as reliable as the maintenance you put into it. I sold my Ford 1900 which was a 1980 and it was in good shape for the next guy who came to cut fields with it too. (no loader)

/ New member tractor advice #3  
Always consider getting more horsepower than you think you need. I've never ran across anyone who did, and regretted it.

Determine if you really "need" a tractor. Think about how much work you'll be doing with it, how many hours a year you see yourself operating it, as well as the type work to be done. It could be that you may hire someone to do what you want, or even rent a tractor/skid steer to do what you need without the maintenance and expense of buying a tractor.

I'm a new tractor type of guy myself. I don't want someone else's headaches. Low hours don't mean too much on the used tractor market. I've seen some horrible low hour tractors. In fact, if someone has a tractor they OUGHT to use it and work it as intended. Too many problems come up from not using a tractor much, and letting it sit unused for long periods.

I'm a cab guy too. ;) I have seen that I really rely on my cabs to keep nasty stuff off of me when operating, as well as the air conditioning. Yellow jackets make me grin when they come at me.

You don't really pay for a cab because the cab makes the tractor worth more money when you go to sell it, or trade it in. It's a wash.

Lots of tractor brands out there. Some have horrible parts availability. Some are more expensive than they are worth.

Put in some time on the tractor dealer lots. Ask how long the wait in the service and parts dept. is at that dealer. Do your homework. You'll be glad you did.

/ New member tractor advice #4  
Still lot of 2wd tractors for sale horse power your seeking.
Auctions and word of the mouth good place to start.

/ New member tractor advice #5  
I would like to be able to brush hog all the fields (60 - 80 acres) and get them back to the way they used to look. Currently a couple of the fields have a lot of saplings while most haven't been cut in maybe 2 years.
I don't expect to ever plant the fields or cut hay. My main job with the tractor will be cutting the fields but the more I look at the ones with the FEL I think I could need that attachment at some point. Cab would be nice but I wouldn't want to ignore a good deal.

I don't really want to drop a ton of money given the low amount of work required but it seems like I would need 50hp but I'm not sure.

T-B-N ARCHIVE:

Last edited:
   / New member tractor advice #6  
If there's a local landowener,farmer or retired farmer that will help you choose that's your best resource. Otherwise you sould find a dealer you trust. As you can see in my profile I'm an old iron fan. All my old tractors are in lite use by me and family and seldom need anything other than oil changes and tune ups. Cabs and air are for people that have to spend time in the seat in all kinds of weather. I would invest in reliability rather than amenities. Keeping air-conditioning operational is difficult at best and often expensive so keep that in mind when buying a cab. If you lived local I would help you choose a used tractor but there are no sure-fire secrets to be had on the web.

/ New member tractor advice #7  
I would never buy a tractor without a front end loader. A cab also goes a long way in operator comfort.
Happy shopping!

/ New member tractor advice #8  
I don't really want to drop a ton of money given the low amount of work required but it seems like I would need 50hp but I'm not sure.

A 50-horseower tractor will satisfactorily operate a 72" Rotary Cutter.

A 72" Rotary Cutter mowing at 4 mph over smooth fields will cut 2-1/2 acres per hour.

60 acres / 2.5 acres per hour = 24 hours of tractor time.

80 acres / 2.5 acres per hour = 32 hours of tractor time.

I suggest you consider a previously owned 100-horsepower open station tractor operating a previously owned 144" wide, twin spindle Rotary Cutter.

You will discover where ground dwelling bees live on your land.

Last edited:
   / New member tractor advice #9  
Based on your list, a MF 265 or similar will do what you listed, for around $6-10k. Moving more modern, and more expensive, something like JD 5205 would probably be between $12-20k. The other route, something like a TYM 574, brand new, with loader is like $33k. Set aside about $1600 for a 6-7 ft bushhog;

For 40-80 acres, you might want to explore a 9-10 ft bush hog, and that would probably push you towards around a 70 hp machine. I'm assuming we are talking about at Most mowing every two months, during growing season, maybe once between frost and spring; so probably around 4 times per year; a 6 ft mower, even at 5 mph will take a good long while. A 8-10 ft bush hog used is going to be $3500+; and new. probably more like $8500+.

In a perfect world; 6 ft cutter; 5 mph; is 3.6 acres/hour; a 9 ft mower is 5.5 acres/hour at 5 mph. You could maybe get it all cut in a weekend.

Edit: 80 acres, depending on condition, might be worth renting out to a farmer, if the terrain, soils, local economics make sense; might bring in enough to pay property taxes, keep it ag exempt, and put a Little in your pocket.