New member tractor advice

/ New member tractor advice #21  
A few random thoughts....

I didn't like the idea of buying an emissions tractor. Still don't, but finding a pre-emissions tractor at the right price and in good condition hasn't been so easy lately. I recently traded a 35 hp pre-emissions mahindra because it developed a leak at the bull pinion shafts and couldn't find anyone I really trusted to repair it in my area.

I replaced it with a low hour Kubota MX5200 which has DPF system. I leaned towards Kubota because there are four dealers in my area. Surely one of them can repair a Kubota? (my logic).

Had my first regen yesterday while cutting the fields. Sorta went into a panic trying to remember what the procedure is, but remembered others saying they just kept the RPM up and kept working. That's what I did and it was non-eventful.

The MX runs my 6' cutter in thick vegetation with no issues. The 4wd makes it easy to cut hillside areas where the 2wd Mahindra struggled. The MX overall is much more stable.

I was thinking I might get an 8' cutter, but the 6' is cutting so well that I may not.

TractorTYMe's T474 has the 48 hp Kukje engine. As I understand it, it is one of the relatively few engines that still uses mechanical injection and has a separate DPF system from the engine. The T474 cab models sell for about $32,000 or so in Middle Tennessee depending on where you buy them and whether it's a sync shuttle or HST. 6 year warranty. It is also a 48hp non-turbo engine.

I think your main issue is having 60-80 acres of fields to cut. That sounds like you really need a 10-12' batwing which would require a much larger tractor or finding someone who'll cut for the hay.

/ New member tractor advice #22  
I replaced my previous tractor with a low hour Kubota MX5200 which has a DPF system. I leaned towards Kubota because there are four dealers in my area. Surely one of them can repair a Kubota? (my logic).

The MX5200 runs my 6' cutter in thick vegetation with no issues. The 4wd makes it easy to cut hillside areas where the 2wd Mahindra struggled. The MX overall is much more stable.

Last edited:
   / New member tractor advice #23  
I think a little more information would be helpful. Are you in scorching heat? If yes, a cab sould be nice. If no, I've seen a few set ups with a canopy and an electric fan blowing down.

How often will you be going to the Property? If you plan to mow all 60 -80 acres at once, then you need big honkin tractor and cutter. Me, I would prefer to spread out the fun - multiple sessions a few hours at a time.

If I was in your situation - kind of new to all this - I would be looking for what I should buy for my first tractor. Something that will get the job now, and I can learn what will be optimal. Tractors are weird in that you can usually use them for a couple of years and sell them for what you paid for them.

A Ford 8N with a 5' or 6' rotary cutter would do the job (although I don't particularly like them). I would be scouring Craigslist, Tractor House and local auctions for a decent older AG tractor. That very exercise will expand your knowledge about brands, models and prices. Depending on what it is, you might find a decent rig for $4,000 - $7,000.

Buy one, use it for a couple of years, and then you'ii figure out what you really want/need.

/ New member tractor advice
I think a little more information would be helpful. Are you in scorching heat? If yes, a cab sould be nice. If no, I've seen a few set ups with a canopy and an electric fan blowing down.

How often will you be going to the Property? If you plan to mow all 60 -80 acres at once, then you need big honkin tractor and cutter. Me, I would prefer to spread out the fun - multiple sessions a few hours at a time.

If I was in your situation - kind of new to all this - I would be looking for what I should buy for my first tractor. Something that will get the job now, and I can learn what will be optimal. Tractors are weird in that you can usually use them for a couple of years and sell them for what you paid for them.

A Ford 8N with a 5' or 6' rotary cutter would do the job (although I don't particularly like them). I would be scouring Craigslist, Tractor House and local auctions for a decent older AG tractor. That very exercise will expand your knowledge about brands, models and prices. Depending on what it is, you might find a decent rig for $4,000 - $7,000.

Buy one, use it for a couple of years, and then you'ii figure out what you really want/need.
I live about 3 hours from the land but I'm thinking about building some sort of 2 bedroom place or buy an old home that is practically next door. Then I could use that to stay in while working it or hunting. I'd like to get my son and nephews more experiences with the land.

I'd like to knock it out in one go but that's probably not realistic.

The land is in west Tennessee so it can get pretty hot and humid. I'd have to have at least a canopy.

/ New member tractor advice #25  
Suggest you use a acres mowed per hour calculator to assess how long it will take to mow your property.

Most land is rough enough that I wouldn't plan on going faster than roughly 4 mph. That means that the time spent depends on the width of your mower relative to the number of acres you will be mowing.

Bigger mowers require bigger tractors which cost more.

With you being 3 hours from the property, then you also have the question of how you will store and secure your equipment against weather and theft.

If you have to drive 3 hours to mow, I don't think you want to suffer from heat exhaustion just to keep your land mowed. Plus the drive home exhausted.....

I believe the ideal for you would be to find someone trustworthy to do the mowing.

/ New member tractor advice #26  
Just joined the forum.

Quick summary of my situation.
Dad just passed about 1 month ago.
He owned about 60-80 acres of fields. I know the land like the back of my hand just riding around on 4 wheelers and hunting. I know most of the fields are pretty "clean" (doesn't have a huge stump or random fence)
Some of it in CRP.
He owned a John Deere over 20 years ago, which I was able to drive and use a little bit. I'm not super mechanically inclined but would expect to be able to do most of the maintenance just not something like a full engine rebuild.

I would like to be able to brush hog all the fields and get them back to the way they used to look. Currently a couple of the fields have a lot of saplings while most haven't been cut in maybe 2 years.
I'm thinking about purchasing a tractor and brush hog to do these items. I don't expect to ever plant the fields or cut hay. My main job with the tractor will be cutting the fields but the more I look at the ones with the FEL I think I could need that attachment at some point. Cab would be nice but I wouldn't want to ignore a good deal.

I don't really want to drop a ton of money given the low amount of work required but it seems like I would need 50hp but I'm not sure. Seems like new could get pricey but I don't know if a 30 year old tractor would be reliable enough. Not really brand loyal, I know John Deere is a good brand but they seem to think a lot of their tractors.

Any advice welcome.
Since your dad did the work with that tractor, chances are good that he knew exactly what he needed. If it worked for him it will work for you.

Anyway, get the minimum done by a mechanic you trust and try it a few years. Then you will know what changes you would make and why..... if any.
A lot of people believe that the 20 and 30 year old tractors represented a high point in design. Combining reliability with easy maintenance.

/ New member tractor advice #27  
Is there a neighbor that would let you park the equipment?

/ New member tractor advice #28  

/ New member tractor advice
Is there a neighbor that would let you park the equipment?
I grew up in the area where my grandmothers house, a small house that I lived in until 8, and then the new house that I lived in until college. All of those houses within 200 yards of each other and no other neighbors for miles.
My dad sold all 3 houses eventually in 2003 and moved closer to us (his 3 kids). The small house was sold to the family we've know for a really long time. The man keeps an eye on the place and helps out here and there and he gets to hunt it.

I could probably sit a tractor on his lot and not have to worry about it. He isn't the type of person you would want to piss off so it's nice that he likes our family so much.

Eventually I'll want to have a place there. Dad was already trying to convince my mom to build something which I was excited about. Its just really hard to drive 6 hours in a day and enjoy going down there often.

/ New member tractor advice #30  
Just joined the forum.

Quick summary of my situation.
Dad just passed about 1 month ago.
He owned about 60-80 acres of fields. I know the land like the back of my hand just riding around on 4 wheelers and hunting. I know most of the fields are pretty "clean" (doesn't have a huge stump or random fence)
Some of it in CRP.
He owned a John Deere over 20 years ago, which I was able to drive and use a little bit. I'm not super mechanically inclined but would expect to be able to do most of the maintenance just not something like a full engine rebuild.

I would like to be able to brush hog all the fields and get them back to the way they used to look. Currently a couple of the fields have a lot of saplings while most haven't been cut in maybe 2 years.
I'm thinking about purchasing a tractor and brush hog to do these items. I don't expect to ever plant the fields or cut hay. My main job with the tractor will be cutting the fields but the more I look at the ones with the FEL I think I could need that attachment at some point. Cab would be nice but I wouldn't want to ignore a good deal.

I don't really want to drop a ton of money given the low amount of work required but it seems like I would need 50hp but I'm not sure. Seems like new could get pricey but I don't know if a 30 year old tractor would be reliable enough. Not really brand loyal, I know John Deere is a good brand but they seem to think a lot of their tractors.

Any advice welcome.

Oh, on older tractors you don't usually hear or have any problems with the engine or transmissions. Sometimes a clutch needs work, but it is a type of thing that works less well for ever. What I am saying is don't worry about major repairs or rebuilding engines. Unlike cars and trucks, most tractors never need any of that work at all. Not ever.

Most tractor problems are with accessory systems like electricals and hydraulics. These require specialized knowledge, but it is the kind of knowledge any experienced mechanic will know. It doesn't require expensive dealership intervention. In fact, you really can do a lot of it yourself if you simply feel comfortable with a volt/ohm meter and basic bolted connections.

Newer tractors (post 2012) have computer controls and emissions reduction systems. Both of those do require dealerships and specialized mechanics.

If you have an older tractor, and it is in any way decent condition....consider just hanging onto it.

rScotty