New MF 135 owner, and a few questions

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #1  

rozemab

Tractor
MF 135
Hello,
This is my first post here. I recently inherited a MF 135 from my brother. It has the Perkins AG-152 3 cylinder gas engine with power (assisted?) steering. Plus it has a 'multi-power'? lever on the lower right corner of the dash. I know these things because I have been reading all the wonderful posts in this forum.

After about 15 minutes of operation, white steam can be seen blowing out of one of the exhaust studs. Teardown of the tractor to inspect the head, shows the tapped hole for the stud must be open to the coolant chamber in the head. I can blow air into the tapped hole and feel with my finger air in the adjacent chamber.

CAn these heads be repaired? I have researched remanufactured heads; plenty of diesel heads but obsoletely little available gas heads.

Brian

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #2  
On engines that have bolt holes that are exposed to coolant you usually need to use some sort of sealant on the threads.

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions
Kenneth,

Thank you for the reply. I was curious if this is a typical failure of the gas head, or if sealant is required. I'm not exactly sure what type of sealant to use.

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #4  
Not a typical failure, as far as sealant something Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 should work, just make sure all the threads are good, and clean no oil, or coolant on them. If the threads on the bolt, or stud is pitted get a new one.

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #5  
The factory, or aftermarket power (assisted?) steering aren't very good in the 135's. I took the factory ps system off my 2135 (a industrial 135) because it didn't work, and all the parts I needed cost way too much money for the (assist?) it's "supposed" to give you.

My front tires are shot. Sidewalls are cracking and peeling. They somewhat hold air, enough for testing. I need a new set. Being a newbee, I was shopping for new tires on Ebay etc. I noticed many of the dealers want to know the rim width. What is the rim width for a MF 135 ?

Also, can I get a turf like tire instead of the 3-rib profile ? Are there any preferred internet tractor shops you would recommend ?

Would I take the rim and tire to an automotive tire shop or do I have to go to a specialized truck/tractor shop to get it mounted?

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #7  
Any auto tire shop should be able to change the front tires. I've seen people use bias ply trailer tires on the front. The front wheels are either 15"x3", or a 16"x4 1/2", or a 16"x5 1/2". The tires should have what size it is on it somewhere.

Thanks,

I believe the starter solenoid is going out too. Can it be replaced leaving the starter in the tractor and simply removing the solenoid assembly ?

There are two Phillips screws that hold the assembly to the starter casting, Yet I'm not sure if there are anything else to remove to replace the solenoid.

thanks

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #9  
The solenoid can be replaced without pulling the starter.

/ New MF 135 owner, and a few questions #10  
Any auto tire shop should be able to change the front tires. I've seen people use bias ply trailer tires on the front. The front wheels are either 15"x3", or a 16"x4 1/2", or a 16"x5 1/2". The tires should have what size it is on it somewhere.
hjhbn