New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup
Re: If it were a gas engine, I'd say with confidence that the engine was flooded

Sounds Normal to me just like my L5740 Always a puff of smoke/stumble on first start more so the colder it is How does this tractor compare to the mf 231 you used before?

I hope so, although it's had me a bit worried. Like one other poster here noted, if something is amiss, I'd like to address it during the warranty period. Again, it's not a puff of smoke, it's steady smoke for between 5-10 seconds. Rough coughing/missing for the same period. If it were a gas engine, I'd say with confidence that the engine was flooded.

The MF231 on the other hand, starts much more smoothly, and is running fine in a second or two.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup
This discussion has me thinking. My skid steer does exactly as described and in cold weather it can take 30 seconds to smooth out and stop smoking. It's done it since it was new. My son (who is a shop foreman at a different dealer) thought it was probably the injectors leaking while it is shut off and allowing fuel into the cylinder. I should have done something about it while it was under warranty but I procrastinated since it wasn't too bad in normal weather. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the glow plug isn't working correctly.

Ken

Yep Ken, like your son, I'd kind of wondered if fuel might be leaking into a cylinder/cylinders. It starts quickly, but as I'd posted earlier, it almost seems as if the engine were flooded. If it were a gasoline engine, I'd say with confidence that the engine was exhibiting signs of being flooded.

As for the glow plugs, am I correct in thinking that these are unnecessary when the temperature is warm - say in the 50F or above? I believe I've read my owners manual correctly.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #23  
I think I would just run it in to the dealer and get it looked at when you have a little time you can do without it. Maybe worth it, hate to see something go wrong in the future that could have been prevented and paid for while under warranty.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #24  
My newish L3800 starts smooth and with no smoke every time. And I don't use the glow plugs unless it's below 40f, but do throttle it up a little . I'd have your dealer check it out.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #25  
Does everyone but me live in warm weather year around? I have started 3 diesels today, 24 degrees this morning, and all of them required glow plugs, stumbled for a few seconds after starting, smoked quite a bit, and then ran like normal once the cylinder walls, manifold, etc., got warmed up. To get a cleaner start in the colder temps you need a direct injected FADEC system.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #26  
I have started 3 diesels today, 24 degrees this morning, and all of them required glow plugs, .

What do you mean by required? Like they wouldnt start without the plugs?

My 2005 MX5000 starts fine at 24F with no pre-heat. I even started it cold down to 10F once out of curiosity. 20F is my normal cut-off point on using the glow plugs.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #27  
Why would you not use the glowplugs? Other than wearing them out, why not help the engine start easier?
I got the same "why do you need a block heater" from the dealer....sure the tractor will start at 0F, but it sure is easier on it after running the block heater for a few hours.

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #28  
But I do use them ,from 20f down and the block when it dips to 0f

That thing is babied

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #29  
to see if your glow plugs are having an effect Turn the key and start with no delay, note your smoke and cough..... next day similar temp cycle your glow plugs twice to see if it starts the same. I'm betting its normal for this type tractor. good Luck

/ New MX5100 smokes/coughs on startup #30  
I did that test. Yesterday with temp in the 30's and no glow plug, there was a quite a bit of smoke and coughing for about 5 seconds before it started running smoothly. With glow plugs today (also in the 30's) for 20 seconds there was an initial puff of smoke but it started without any hesitation. I don't see any reason not to use the glow plugs.