New owner s 370d beaver

/ New owner s 370d beaver #1  

timasch

Tractor
s370d beaver
Picked this up from a neighbor that parked it outside in an open corn crib over 20 years ago , hasn't been run since.
Had good old red fuel in it and that was a plus. A little rust in the tank that cleaned up nice.
After replacing hoses , new starter , filters , pulled and cleaned injectors and turning it over by hand with some oil in the cylinders it was time for the magic moment .
Got it to start puffing black smoke but it just would not take off . Got the new starter pretty hot and said to myself ( their goes 150 dollars you dummy ) .
It's still working . Glow plugs working , heat gun blowing hot air directly into the intake pipe and it still would not light .
Ok time to check compression . Pulled glow plugs , filled cylinders with mystery oil and ran to Harbor Freight to get a compression tester .
1 1/2 hours later installed gage and guess what . You got it , gage defective . Back to Harbor Freight .
Forgot to mention yes i did blow the mystery oil out first. Ok an hour later and back with the new gage .
Front cylinder 340lbs , rear cylinder 280lbs . This baby should light .
Ok i know starting fluid is a no no , but i figured its either going to run or i may be parting it out.
Unhooked glow plugs , got her cranking puffing black smoke and hit her with a tiny shot and " IT'S ALIVE " .
Have had it running off and on for around 4 hours , changed oil and made sure everything else works .
Did put a fresh oil filter on it before i got it running .
Runs great , trany , 4x4 and pto all work . I am a happy camper .
Oh the clutch disc was stuck. Got it free'd up by hole sawing a hole in the side of the bellhousing so i could pop it loose .
Tried all of the other suggestions . No Go .
Anyway not a bad purchase for 400 dollars with a johnson loader and factory pto reverser to boot.
Revamping the hydraulic hookup to the loader and will post some pictures when i get done.

Ok my fingers are getting tired .
Time to go.

/ New owner s 370d beaver
Ok back to square 1 . New starter shelled out due to a broken magnet inside . Ordered new starter , received new starter and back to a no fire condition .
Checked compression again and good on both cylinders at 340-350 lbs. Puffing black smoke and soot . From what i have read possible worn out injectors
so i have ordered some rebuilts from oregon fuel injection service.
I know i can rebuild them myself but would have to spend around another 100 dollars for a pop tester that i may never use again. I have way to many of those
kind of tools already.
Hopefully this will solve the hard start and no start problems.
I also posted trying to find a steering wheel.
Found a solution to that.
A go-cart steering wheel hub that has 36 tooth spline x 5/8 shaft fits the steering shaft and then you have a huge selection of aftermarket wheels to chose from.

/ New owner s 370d beaver #3  
Black smoke can be a sign of too much fuel for the amount of air going in. Check and clean your air filter. Check for any openings between the filter and air intake where mice may have set up housekeeping at some point in the past. When all else fails you can get information and parts from Valley Power

/ New owner s 370d beaver #4  
second on Valley Power. Bill is very helpfull

As i mentioned at the beginning all new filters and it has been running probably around 8 hours total .
Not totally unfamiliar with mechanical diesel injection .
I have a 91 dodge 5.9 cummins that i do all the repairs on myself.
Talked to some of my diesel mechanic buddies and they said it sounds like bad spray pattern or pop pressure.
Good compression but it does have some injector knock when it was running.
Don't know if it is both cylinders or one and if it had more holes it would probably start unless they were all bad.
This one is just temper mental like this old fart.

Thanks for the input anyway.
Will keep y'all updated on my progress.

Tim

/ New owner s 370d beaver #6  
I had the same thing in the Mitsubishi version. The glow plugs went weak. They did the same thing. They appeared to work. But new ones fixed it.

Glow plug circuit working and new plugs just for the heck of it.
No go.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Nice to see people trying to help out , very much appreciated and i will return the favors if i can.
Started wrenching as a teenager working on farm equipment , went into electronics when there were still tubes , finished that with radio communication equipment repair , machine shop welding and lathe work , then decided to become an electrician.
Have had my electrical contracting business since 1986 and am getting tired.
Better share what little i know while i still can and i get real grumpy.

Thanks
Tim

/ New owner s 370d beaver #8  
When it is running do not use 4wd with loader work. The steering u joints are very weak. I broke one with very little force. I was lucky to get a used one from Valley Power. But I have seen many threads where others were unable to find them. They break very easy. The tractor was not designed for a loader so the 4 wd was not either.

I have an old m610 bobcat skid steer for snow work.
Wisconsin v4 on propane.
And yes i can see that happening.
I am going to get more use out of the 3 point than anything.

/ New owner s 370d beaver #10  
Good luck with the Beaver, timasch. I have an S 370 Beaver that's served me well for about 10 years now, used mostly for grading the driveway and plowing snow. It, too, can be a stubborn little thing when it's been sitting for awhile.