New polaris Side X Side- General

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #11  
Like others posting here I've worked my '10 Polaris Diesel SXS on the farm and not once has it failed my request.
The one caveat I might interject is the fact that this unit was the mule for the dealership's movement of their boat trailer movement twice daily of some 15 - 20 boats from their roadside to the rear of the faculty.
Further, the staff is mostly young 20ish in age and I'm quite sure they were not as cautious with the "Yard Pig" (Their nickname for this unit.)
At any rate, I was in the market for a vehicle to replace my aging Cushman Truckster (4X2).
I bought it for the grunt work around the farm.
•Removing large pieces of lumber from my sons flat bed trailer. Strap wrapped around large tree slabs or logs and rev. drag (4X4). To be burned at a later date.
•I maintain the pastures with a 40 Gal. boom sprayer mounted in the bad and a 10' spread.
Then operate for 8-10 hrs in 70-100 F. Heat in low range 1800-2000 rpms further stressing
the cooling system and oil.
•Our operation is Equine and as the animals, shall we say, process their hay and forage the
manure piles need to be broken down for dispersion by the irrigation that night. I use a
6'X8' chain harrow that is pulled at speed across all the paddocks. Weight - 200#
•I had an occasion here a year or so ago where a neighbor had planted a "few" clumps of
bamboo some 30 yrs ago and now has a "Problem"🙄😖.
To make matters worse, the planting took place in a sink hole of some serious size (1 acre
X 50 depth). To prepare for the removal of the growth the owner cut the plants and
bundled the 6'X10' stems with tow straps.
Enter the Ranger. We were just amazed that we had absolutely no issues with towing
these bundles up the longest grade we could find up out of the bottom of this pit.

http://youtu.be/d7MWHtdP21E

It was a fun project. If you wish you can watch the continuation of burning the bamboo
after about a week of drying.

If you want to bash reliability and functionality failures of Polaris equipment, I'll just have to tell you of my experience and let you make up your own mind with your own equipment.
I have yet to take this machine in all these years back for any mechanical failure.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #12  
You guys need to take a breath.

I'm not "bashing" anything. I'm offering my experiences. Just like you guys are. None of you have ever watched me use my UTVs. You know little to nothing about whether they are "abused" or not. I can type long paragraphs about all the things I've done with them. Means little. Everyone's conditions and expectations are different.

I have a Rhino and an RTV. If I am putzing around playing I prefer the Rhino. If I'm hauling heavy loads or pulling heavy loads I prefer the RTV. That's why I have both. I can post links to hundreds of threads about CVT related failures. I'd hafta look long and hard to find a dozen threads about HST or HVT system failures. That's simply a fact.

I'm around Polaris equipment all the time. It's the most popular brand here because we are remote and there's a dealer close and they offer stupid financing, just sign your name. Young guys stand in line to buy new ones and immediately start having warranty problems. But then, by you guy's contention, they are all abusing them.

Good friend of mine has 3 Polaris HD's. Constantly having problems with axles. Quit accepting the free warranty replacements and started buying aftermarket heavier axle assemblies and the problems stopped. He owns/operates a large drainage system company. Surveys, builds terraces and installs underground drainage systems. But again, in your eyes he's abusing them.....

Back to the beginning. Polaris is going to advertise the General as a work UTV. I'm saying it won't hold up under hard work use. I'm sure it's using the same drive/chassis parts as their sport models, which fail at a pretty high rate. For example, they have doubled the HP output on those machines with the original drive and chassis parts. That's a certain receipt for failure.

If in the market for a work UTV I suggest staying away from CVT. No bashing. Just my opinion. Which is just as valuable as yours. :)

I wouldn't attempt this task with my CVT machine. Hauled this load of wood while dragging the log for 1/2 mile. Abuse?? :confused3:

20151108_134756 (1280x720).jpg

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #13  
Polaris really needs to do more tranny R&D. Some people don't mind the continuous cleaning, maintenance, and temperamental CVT. Not to mention you have to adjust your driving around the CVT. If they could come out with some kind of tranny option for people that want a tranny that is merely maintenance free like the Honda DCT then they'd have something. Lets face it, the CVT has done fairly good but it's very prehistoric now. Lets get some tranny options out there Polaris.

I see Yamaha is trying a new a sequential manual shift transmission so we are starting to see optional transmissions from them.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #14  
Glad that's settled !

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #15  
Polaris really needs to do more tranny R&D. Some people don't mind the continuous cleaning, maintenance, and temperamental CVT. Not to mention you have to adjust your driving around the CVT. If they could come out with some kind of tranny option for people that want a tranny that is merely maintenance free like the Honda DCT then they'd have something. Lets face it, the CVT has done fairly good but it's very prehistoric now. Lets get some tranny options out there Polaris.

I see Yamaha is trying a new a sequential manual shift transmission so we are starting to see optional transmissions from them.

I agree. I think the current advantage of CVT is the speed change it can develop. That's awesome if you are interested in high speed racing. I used to have a Kawasaki CVT that would run 67mph. Was a lot of fun at the time. I'm over it now. My Rhino will get 45mph. The RTV will get 25 mph. I don't "road" either of them so both are satisfactory to me. I think we'll see more change in the drive systems of all UTVs eventually as some are already trying. :thumbsup:

Kubota's new RTVs have a cab as nice and tight as my Super Duty. Heat, AC, Radio, Wipers, etc. They could use an update on their drive system to develop more top end speed. Flip side, they are so dependable you kinda hate to see them mess with it. :)

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #16  
Polaris isn't really pushing the General as a straight work UTV. The bed is quite a bit smaller (~8 cu ft) and only 600 lbs capacity. Full size Rangers are ~13 cu ft and 1000 lbs capacity. I think they refer to it as "Rec Utility".

As for breaking axles... Yeah, it's the user. The aftermarket axles are quite a bit beefier because they are mostly being put on lifted mudders where breaking axles is just part of the fun.

My 2006 Ranger 500 has hauled many heaping loads (1/2 yard) of gravel in the bed up and down 19% grades for a mile without breaking an axle or smoking a belt. It has had one belt change at 200 hours but there really wasn't anything wrong with it so now it just gets carried as a spare.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #17  
As they say, if it has **** or tires it will give you trouble ! My RTV 900 was stuck in reverse, backed it on to the trailer and took it to the dealer. Guess it slipped over the shift fork,they fixed it and adjusted the linkage so it shouldn't do that again.
Had to put a new belt on the Polaris 6x6 too, replaced it last year but between the parking brake being messed up and loaning it to the neighboring town fit a 5k race it was toast. Glad to have them both back in service .

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #18  
You guys need to take a breath.

I'm not "bashing" anything. I'm offering my experiences. Just like you guys are. None of you have ever watched me use my UTVs. You know little to nothing about whether they are "abused" or not. I can type long paragraphs about all the things I've done with them. Means little. Everyone's conditions and expectations are different.

I have a Rhino and an RTV. If I am putzing around playing I prefer the Rhino. If I'm hauling heavy loads or pulling heavy loads I prefer the RTV. That's why I have both. I can post links to hundreds of threads about CVT related failures. I'd hafta look long and hard to find a dozen threads about HST or HVT system failures. That's simply a fact.

I'm around Polaris equipment all the time. It's the most popular brand here because we are remote and there's a dealer close and they offer stupid financing, just sign your name. Young guys stand in line to buy new ones and immediately start having warranty problems. But then, by you guy's contention, they are all abusing them.

Good friend of mine has 3 Polaris HD's. Constantly having problems with axles. Quit accepting the free warranty replacements and started buying aftermarket heavier axle assemblies and the problems stopped. He owns/operates a large drainage system company. Surveys, builds terraces and installs underground drainage systems. But again, in your eyes he's abusing them.....

Back to the beginning. Polaris is going to advertise the General as a work UTV. I'm saying it won't hold up under hard work use. I'm sure it's using the same drive/chassis parts as their sport models, which fail at a pretty high rate. For example, they have doubled the HP output on those machines with the original drive and chassis parts. That's a certain receipt for failure.

If in the market for a work UTV I suggest staying away from CVT. No bashing. Just my opinion. Which is just as valuable as yours. :)

I wouldn't attempt this task with my CVT machine. Hauled this load of wood while dragging the log for 1/2 mile. Abuse?? :confused3:

View attachment 448827

Sales numbers are a fact too....copm;are how many RTV's are out there compared to how many CVTs are out there......Gators, Polaris,Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can Am and pretty much every other machine out there are CVT transmissions. They are the reason you typically don't hear the owners of all other makes of SxS's running out of power like you do with Kubotas.

Seems these folks weren't told cvt transmissions slip to easy to work

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #19  
Sales numbers are a fact too....copm;are how many RTV's are out there compared to how many CVTs are out there......Gators, Polaris,Yamaha, Kawasaki, Can Am and pretty much every other machine out there are CVT transmissions. They are the reason you typically don't hear the owners of all other makes of SxS's running out of power like you do with Kubotas.

Seems these folks weren't told cvt transmissions slip to easy to work

The sales numbers are based on two things. Price. Speed. I don't have the facts in front of me but I'd venture to say way over half of the CVT machines sold are to Young Men, in their 30s or younger. They are totally driven by price and speed.

Figuring in the sales numbers, you are right, there are probably 3000 to 1 CVT versus rigs with some sort of hydraulic drive system. And if searched there will easily be that same ratio or higher of failures.

If you believe for a second that a CVT machine will pull that sled without serious modifications more than a couple times without being rebuilt you are being naïve.

No flame intended here. Just making points.

Again,,,, if you want speed buy a CVT because that's your only choice. If you want long term hard working dependability buy a hydraulic drive system.

Seems like there are other alternatives popping up. I believe 10 years from now we both will be laughing at our antiquated CVTs. And possibly the hydraulic alternatives that are offered today.

If a person has only been around a high CC CVT they would be disappointed in the power of an RTV. If a person has only been around an RTV they would be disappointed in the hauling/towing/dependability of a CVT machine.

Nobody is right or wrong in this discussion. Again,,, it's all about your uses and expectations. :)

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #20  
You state that it's the young guys wanting speed buying cvt UTV's but in reality it's the power companies, construction companies, gas line, town municipal departments......they are buying these for work not for high speed playtime. I rarely ever see an RTV but the few times I do it's principle use it to haul a few to feed animals on a farm or for general transportation around property.