New roof - Light or dark shingles

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #32  
Heat loss/gain is a function of delta T. Light color shingles reflect more and absorb less. The light color shingle in conjunction with good attic ventilation reduces the temperature in the attic. It puts less load on the attic insulation and reduces the heat transfer. I think light shingles are better.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #33  
On the north side of the roof, I get some mold (black) growth that forms in streaks. I understand from my roofer that in 2002 they started putting stuff (zinc and whatever) in the shingle to prevent this. Ideally you should have black shingles on the north and white on the south. Probably not really a good idea.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #34  
On the north side of the roof, I get some mold (black) growth that forms in streaks. I understand from my roofer that in 2002 they started putting stuff (zinc and whatever) in the shingle to prevent this. Ideally you should have black shingles on the north and white on the south. Probably not really a good idea.

Why not? Worst that could happen is the neighbors would start calling it the Yin-Yang house :D
Dave.

Last edited:
   / New roof - Light or dark shingles
This turned out to be a very informative thread. I am going with 35 year shingles so hopefully when they need to be replaced I won't own the house. The streaking is something I am concerned about with the light colored shingles. My neighborhood is older and has some very large oaks. Three are in my front yard and hang over the house. I am having my trees trimmed at this moment so hopefully that will help the streaking. I already have an exhaust fan in the attic on a thermostat and am having a ridgevent installed with the new roof. I am leaning toward a medium gray color to hopefully help with the heat and also minimize the streaking. Thanks everyone for your input.

Terry

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #36  
This turned out to be a very informative thread. I am going with 35 year shingles so hopefully when they need to be replaced I won't own the house. The streaking is something I am concerned about with the light colored shingles. My neighborhood is older and has some very large oaks. Three are in my front yard and hang over the house. I am having my trees trimmed at this moment so hopefully that will help the streaking. I already have an exhaust fan in the attic on a thermostat and am having a ridge vent installed with the new roof. I am leaning toward a medium gray color to hopefully help with the heat and also minimize the streaking. Thanks everyone for your input.

Terry

I mentioned that my white shingle roof was stained but I started looking at roofs while driving around, all the roofs are stained this year, even black ones. we had alot of rain this year so maybe that is the cause. Bobrip mentioned the zinc in the shingles, never heard that but I now they put a zinc strip across the peak, not sure how good it works.

This black roof I worked on today had stains and there is no trees over the roof! I made some decent money cleaning these 2 roofs.

Attachments

• DSCN6205.JPG
    DSCN6205.JPG
    974.3 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN5810.JPG
    DSCN5810.JPG
    981.1 KB · Views: 427
  • DSCN5970.jpg
    DSCN5970.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN5948.JPG
    DSCN5948.JPG
    986.8 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCN5952.JPG
    DSCN5952.JPG
    999 KB · Views: 346
   / New roof - Light or dark shingles #37  
nice pictures from your Hyda lift. How high will it lift a worker?

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #38  
Good grief, that's not a house, that's a hotel. Nice pics.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #39  
Bobrip mentioned the zinc in the shingles, never heard that but I now they put a zinc strip across the peak, not sure how good it works.

The zinc strip is good, but does not really work on complex roofs (like hip). My roofer was not sure the zinc in the shingles would work, but time will tell. Let's hope it's not just a marketing ploy.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #40  
There's sure some useful advice in this thread. I'm quoting many of you in my comp-diary for when get my roof redone in a couple years.
I have cedar shake shingle and they are leaking in one spot.